Songs that could have been hits with a better chorus

The example I have in mind is the chorus of "Mother of Mercy": unsingable (I suspect the studio version to be copy-pasted), strange dynamics...

I suspect you're on to something there :) from Kevin Shirley's diary:

Kevin Shirley's diary - February 24 said:
After that I began comping the vocal on Mother of Mercy - Steve has a very particular vocal melody in his mind, which Bruce didn't really get 100% correct. It's close tho..... but needs a few tweaks. Left the comp about half way through - it was mind jumbling.

Also, how can you guys say The Longest Day has a bad chorus? It's perfectly uplifting in the middle of all the gloom. The Clairvoyant is amazing too, and I don't mind either of Back in the Village or Quest for Fire.
I'm actually having trouble picking an otherwise good song with a bad chorus - usually they're great/bad all the way through :) I might go with Mother of Mercy; the song itself isn't amazing, but the buildup from the intro to the first chorus is pretty good - and then the chorus sucks.

That pre-chorus/bridgdy/chorus bit in The Longest Day is a singular moment in their career. Its uplifting and mournful at the same time, it drips with emotion in both words and performance. The song is cinematic in its scope and the chorus doesn't let it down one bit.
I, for one, like the the shift in tempo after 'Sliding we go..." It brings you down to earth a bit but retains the emotion. Great song, great chorus.

No More Lies has a poor chorus but its a dull song anyway so I cant really view it as a let down.
Same with HCW.

The 'happy jester' bitin Monstgeur annoys me but dont know if that counts as a chorus.

Die with your boots on is the first that comes to mind. For sure it's not one of their best songs but it's really the chorus that annoys me a lot and drags the song down, imo.
The verses and the pre-chorus are ok but that chorus, it just sounds like a total improvisation, just a serie of words put together with no idea of what to do with them, not to mention the backing vocals that sound awkward

Here is the problem with The Longest Day's second chorus: It just needed one more line. The "How long on this Longest Day 'til we finally make it through" is fine as a first line in a chorus, but it needed another line to follow it, rather than repeating 4X. However, the first (or pre-)chorus -- "sliding we go..." -- is brilliant, so if anyone is criticizing that, you can just go fuck yourself. :D And the guitar solo (duet, really) is, along with Powerslave, one of my two favorites in Maiden's catalog.

Here is the problem with The Longest Day's second chorus: It just needed one more line. The "How long on this Longest Day 'til we finally make it through" is fine as a first line in a chorus, but it needed another line to follow it, rather than repeating 4X. However, the first (or pre-)chorus -- "sliding we go..." -- is brilliant, so if anyone is criticizing that, you can just go fuck yourself. :D
I agree with all of this.

All this talk of The Longest Day has made me realise I've been singing it incorrectly for years, I thought it was "slowly we go".

I have the same opinion of The Longest Day as I do Lord of Light - Brilliant intro, but totally lose interest when the chorus comes in.

All this talk of The Longest Day has made me realise I've been singing it incorrectly for years, I thought it was "slowly we go".

I have the same opinion of The Longest Day as I do Lord of Light - Brilliant intro, but totally lose interest when the chorus comes in.
That’s interesting, because the chorus is my favorite part. Repeating it twice the first time is maybe a bit too much, but I really love it.

Nah, I like TLD.

For me it's SSOASS and TRATB (the whoahs are the "chorus", right?) Both stellar songs with flabbergasting closing instrumental sections, but you have to get through the cheesy chorus first. Terrible waste of perfectly good songs.

Even including SSOASS and the horrible in every way TRATB in the same sentence is blasphemy.

"Still Life" would be my pick, only because the verses are some of the best Maiden have ever done. The "Nightmares!"-chorus comes out of nowhere, and is a disjointed and annoying direction to take the song in. Might not be a terrible chorus on its own, it's just that it does not fit together.

Could have been their best song ever.

That’s what I thought at first, but at this point I still think it’s a perfect song.

the horrible in every way TRATB

tenor.gif

Easy... 'Como Estais Amigos'
"No more tears, no more tears
If we live for a hundred years
Amigos no more tears...."

...wait, actually this is just a stupid song all together! One can hardly even consider it a Maiden song!

Easy... 'Como Estais Amigos'
"No more tears, no more tears
If we live for a hundred years
Amigos no more tears...."

...wait, actually this is just a stupid song all together! One can hardly even consider it a Maiden song!
You don’t know how hard it was not to tell you to go fuck yourself.

*coughs* You’re wrong.

Como Estais Amigos is one of Maiden’s greatest songs, period. It is the most emotional song ever released. Blaze is giving it his all. How people can call it one of the worst songs ever is just beyond me.

But fine. You can go listen to the halfassery that is Purgatory instead.

Back