Somewhere In Time: Album Discussion

Not the length of the song. I lack the musical terminology to explain what it is about sound on that album, but I find so much going on, it's exhausting to listen to. I can recognise it's well written music, but it's very rare I listen to the full album. If I put it on, Stranger is usually the point I switch off or skip.

And some sweet bass work/solo.
Indeed, Steve's bass playing is lovely lovely stuff. I can totally see why some people might not particularly like it though. H's solo is sweet sweet sweet! to play too!
Not the length of the song. I lack the musical terminology to explain what it is about sound on that album, but I find so much going on, it's exhausting to listen to. I can recognise it's well written music, but it's very rare I listen to the full album. If I put it on, Stranger is usually the point I switch off or skip.
Fair enough. It's very much a "studio" album; & not particularly representative of Maiden's typical discography sound (as has been discussed, here, many times before).

I lack the musical terminology to explain what it is about sound on that album, but I find so much going on, it's exhausting to listen to.
Aren't you used to music with lots of sections and changes? You like Yes? And that interesting band you posted in the War of Epics game.

edit:
O Wait, you talk about SIASL. Well that sounds contradicting to me: drags and "so much going on". Dragging mostly means (to me at least) that not enough is going on to keep it entertaining.

I can't see how so much is going on Stranger. Personally, I think the chorus is the weakest aspect. Therefore not a top 50 song for me, but I'd love to hear it one day.

Aren't you used to music with lots of sections and changes? You like Yes? And that interesting band you posted in the War of Epics game.

It's not the sections and changes, it's the electronicy synthy stuff, I think.

Aha, too much going on at the same time!

Yeah, well, I only have that during the chorus: That dumb sounding monotone synth guitar doesn't fit that well to rest indeed.

This is now getting ridiculous. Are we listening to the same Deja Vu? The entirely average Maiden song sandwiched between two classics? What, did you guys find the secret nine-minute version with epic lyrics and great harmonies, or do I just have a defective CD?

Saying it's good is one thing. Calling it anything close to Stranger or Alex is a damn joke.
It's funny because I think Deja Vu is a better song than Stranger and Alex, but that's just my opinion. It just stands out to me more. It's probably Bruce's vocals and the guitars.

Good to see support for Deja-vu! My 6th favourite song of the whole discography. From this album, only Sea of Madness is better. B)
Exactly how I feel. Sea of Madness, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Deja Vu are my top 3 songs on this album. The entire album has great songs throughout though. It's like arguing what's a 10 and what's a 9.
There's not a filler song on this album and that's the first time it's happened IMO.

And the last time. ;---)

Not that I'd use the word filler though. Less good, or weaker songs. But filler? No, never experienced that in Maiden.

There's monotone somewhat vibrating guitar synth sound during the chorus. Not sure if it's really underneath indeed. But I am not a big fan of it, nor of the vocal melody.

So I just watched the Stranger in a Strange Land music video. I now appreciate that song more thanks to the video. Bruce and Adrian's passion in it sold it to me. Until I stopped to see Adrian shredding it, I never realized how good that solo really is.
I will also say two things. Bruce's long hair in the earlier days was hilarious when I'm used to seeing him today with the short hair. He rocks it well.
The SIASL video is also VERY 1980's and I love it.

hahaha I can't unsee that leotard. I'm impressed that they switched each others instruments and still pulled the song off without a hitch. ;)

Bruce's long hair was very cool, I still can't get used to him without it. That bizarre creation he was wearing on stage in the SiT era, on the other hand....wtf.

Back