Somewhere In Time: Album Discussion

I am still "digesting" this album, but wow is it a good one. It is 1986 and this album definitely feels like the peak of the 1980s in its synthesizer sound. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned though.
I love the time travel theme of the album and most, if not all, of its songs seem to follow that theme. I even think he's "going back" to Alexander the Great, even if some state it's not a time related song.
This album has an increased epic, grand scale to it compared to many of the other albums. I think this is also the first album where I like ever single song on it. It's a tie between NOTB, PS and SIT right now for me.
Notable songs include Sea of Madness and Deja Vu, but they're really all great.

There is a discussion about SIT in the Powerslave thread and hopefully it will migrate over here.

I was never much a fan of Deja Vu, and I think the ending of Runner could have been cut in half. Cool guitar harmonies but it gets old by the end. Other than that, strong throughout.

I love Deja Vu. I can see how some may not like it, but it's one of the top songs of the album to me. I also love The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Superb song in every possible way. I can't commit, but this might be my favorite IM album so far. It's the only one with all 8 songs being at least 9/10.

I think I've said this before, but Deja is an example of good filler. It does its job of being a decent song, not a show stealer to bridge the gap between Stranger and Alex. It's in contention with HCW for being the worst song on the album imo, but even then, both get comfortable 6/10's in my book.

The first three songs on the record might actually be better than Powerslave's first 3, and that's saying a lot as I like Losfer a lot, and the other 2 songs are in my Maiden top 5.

The first three songs on the record might actually be better than Powerslave's first 3, and that's saying a lot as I like Losfer a lot, and the other 2 songs are in my Maiden top 5.

So your top 5 Maiden songs are Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight, Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years and Sea of Madness?

So your top 5 Maiden songs are Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight, Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years and Sea of Madness?

Aces, Paschendale, CSIT, Hallowed and 2MTM. Madness and Wasted are both in my top 20.

Deja Vu isn't lunge-for-the-jugular memorable, but I don't consider it filler. SIT is an odd assortment of songs, maybe they'd have been better in a different order.

I think I've said this before, but Deja is an example of good filler. It does its job of being a decent song, not a show stealer to bridge the gap between Stranger and Alex.

I like it better than its bookends. And I love the bookends.
SiT is so good.

I like it better than its bookends. And I love the bookends.

This is now getting ridiculous. Are we listening to the same Deja Vu? The entirely average Maiden song sandwiched between two classics? What, did you guys find the secret nine-minute version with epic lyrics and great harmonies, or do I just have a defective CD?

Saying it's good is one thing. Calling it anything close to Stranger or Alex is a damn joke.

This is now getting ridiculous. Are we listening to the same Deja Vu? The entirely average Maiden song sandwiched between two classics? What, did you guys find the secret nine-minute version with epic lyrics and great harmonies, or do I just have a defective CD?

Saying it's good is one thing. Calling it anything close to Stranger or Alex is a damn joke.

Taste is a funny thing.

Reactions: RTC
Defective taste I think...
It's no joke, SMX. Everyone here is deadly serious.

Not being the biggest SiT enthusiast, I'd agree Alex is an out-and-out classic, but I'd sooner listen to Deja than Stranger. I always find Stranger drags a bit.

Not being the biggest SiT enthusiast, I'd agree Alex is an out-and-out classic, but I'd sooner listen to Deja than Stranger. I always find Stranger drags a bit.
Drags a bit?! :eek: (It's hardly long; it's like 5 minutes or something, is it not?)

For me, Stranger has probably the sweetest lead guitar work of Maiden's entire discography. For that reason alone I rate it very, very highly.

Back