Someone edits Senjutsu and posts it on YouTube

Indeed it is, there's no stems for half the album's tracks and even the ones that were available weren't actually used, it was just somebody sloppily playing over the album.
That's even worse than a fan edit. I mean: "Look, I'm playing on the album myself, now it's better".

Basically: fuck all tinkering with the original music, unless a band wants it themselves (which does not mean fans need to like it either).

Meh, at the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter it's a personal annoyance.

I am digging some of these kids doing guitar covers. I'm trying to learn myself and this stuff is hard!

Tell me what you can hear
and then tell me what you see
Everybody has a different way to view the world
I would like you to know
when you see the simple things
To appreciate this art it's not too late to learn

Not a fan of these things. I remember coming across these right after The Final Frontier was released and the trick was the same: MOAR SPEED.

...apparently, some of that stuff is still there, it seems:

Tell me what you can hear
and then tell me what you see
Everybody has a different way to view the world
I would like you to know
when you see the simple things
To appreciate this art it's not too late to learn

Not a fan of these things. I remember coming across these right after The Final Frontier was released and the trick was the same: MOAR SPEED.

...apparently, some of that stuff is still there, it seems:
Man, I think that example you sent is really cool though. Again, it doesn’t replace the originals for me. It doesn’t replace the enjoyment I get out of said originals. But it does add new layers, new textures, new little pieces to a song I already like. And like, I just think that’s so cool to hear. I respect that people dislike it, but I love these little edits just for what they’re able to illuminate in material I’ve already heard a thousand times.

I'm not against remixes. There are some true gems out there and bands themselves do it or invite other artists/ producers to do it. Maiden themselves did it before with tracks such as Benjamin Breeg, Blood Brothers, Dance Of Death, Paschendale, etc... That being said this Stratego "remix" is really poor IMO. It takes more than speeding a song some BPMs to someone call it a proper remix.

The only people in the world who know what the final product should sound like are the band themselves. Not the manager, not the producer (though he can be influential and some bands DO use a producer to help write and have ideas), not the label, and not the fans. The band. I will, on principal, never listen to a fan-edit of a band I enjoy. I can't get behind that sort of arm-chair designing bullshit.

That said, if a fan wants to edit their music and whatever, that's also fine with me. I won't listen to it but I also don't have to care about it either way. The only exception to this rule are when a band hires another artist (or themselves) and remixes a track. Rammstein used to have singles with tons of artists remixing and almost in some cases rewriting some of their songs. But at the end of the day, that was still an "official" product of Rammstein. Not some Joey Bloey on the Youtubes getting likes because instead of writing his own music, he shaved minutes off a Maiden song and called it "better."

But at the end of the day, that was still an "official" product of Rammstein. Not some Joey Bloey on the Youtubes getting likes
And that's precisely what Trent Reznor did on the remixes of his Year Zero album. It came with a dvd containing all the separate tracks so that everyone who bought it could make a remix (or several) no matter who you are. He also encouraged people to send them their versions and post them on the NIn forum, their own blogs, etc (Youtube wasn't still very big by 2007). But then again... that's why Trent Reznor is Trent Reznor and the others aren't. Always one step ahead *.
And that's not an isolated situation. Paradise Lost once launched a remix contest of one of their songs (So Much Is Lost). Radiohead also told fans to remix In Rainbows (although they had to buy the separate tracks). Other big names had similar initiatives that encouraged people's creativity while molding their creations.
Therefore I find baffling people really get offended with regular Joes doing remixes when these guys are ok with it and especially Reznor who is who he is even encourages it. Hey if you think it sucks it's simple... don't listen to it and give it a thumbs down.

* Just to reinforce this notion one year later while many artists and record companies were still bitching about file sharing and stuff like that this dude simply put his full new album (The Slip) on the band's website in lossless quality for free download. If people wanted a physical copy there were some on sale (I bought mine). But nonetheless if you wanted it for free all you had to do was hit the download button after this state of the art sentence that went something like this: "Thanks for supporting NIN all these years... this one is on us. Enjoy".

Last edited:
And that's precisely what Trent Reznor did on the remixes of his Year Zero album. It came with a dvd containing all the separate tracks so that everyone who bought it could make a remix (or several) no matter who you are. He also encouraged people to send them their versions and post them on the NIn forum, their own blogs, etc (Youtube wasn't still very big by 2007). But then again... that's why Trent Reznor is Trent Reznor and the others aren't. Always one step ahead *.
And that's not an isolated situation. Paradise Lost once launched a remix contest of one of their songs (So Much Is Lost). Radiohead also told fans to remix In Rainbows (although they had to buy the separate tracks). Other big names had similar initiatives that encouraged people's creativity while molding their creations.
Therefore I find baffling people really get offended with regular Joes doing remixes when these guys are ok with it and especially Reznor who is who he is even encourages it. Hey if you think it sucks it's simple... don't listen to it and give it a thumbs down.

* Just to reinforce this notion one year later while many artists and record companies were still bitching about file sharing and stuff like that this dude simply put his full new album (The Slip) on the band's website in lossless quality for free download. If people wanted a physical copy there were some on sale (I bought mine). But nonetheless if you wanted it for free all you had to do was hit the download button after this state of the art sentence that went something like this: "Thanks for supporting NIN all these years... this one is on us. Enjoy".
While that’s awesome, it shouldn’t be expected that every band do this.

Imagine if you painted a painting and hung it in a public gallery and you’re professional and get paid for your work. We’ll call the gallery YouPaint. You hang your work, and someone else comes in with a copy, makes alterations, removes things, adds things, and then hangs it right next to yours while saying something like “how I think XYZ painting should look.” I don’t think that’d be right either. I, personally, wouldn’t complain or try to have it taken down, however. I’m just expressing my opinion.

While that’s awesome, it shouldn’t be expected that every band do this.

Imagine if you painted a painting and hung it in a public gallery and you’re professional and get paid for your work. We’ll call the gallery YouPaint. You hang your work, and someone else comes in with a copy, makes alterations, removes things, adds things, and then hangs it right next to yours while saying something like “how I think XYZ painting should look.” I don’t think that’d be right either. I, personally, wouldn’t complain or try to have it taken down, however. I’m just expressing my opinion.
I've no problem with someone else making a copy with alterations, removing things, adding things, etc... Plus when we're talking about regular people's remixes it is never hung on the same gallery than the original (and much less when we're talking about big bands like Maiden). It could be on the pantry of the same museum but never on the same room. On the other hand I concur the "how I think XYZ painting should look" thing is a somewhat egotistical way of putting things. Instead I think the correct underlying thought and message should be when people make remixes, covers, versions, re-spins (and now I'm not talking solely about music) is "here is what this idea looks like through my personal scope". There are countless artists who did it... many of them masters among masters. Art is creativity and it's made by sharing ideas, influences. As an example here's how Devin Townsend answered when asked what he felt about Machine Head's Beyond The Pale main riff similarities with SYL's Love?:

“People asking me about riff similarities: I don’t have an opinion really. I’ve written riffs my whole career that sound like something else. I’ve used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble. Here's the best part about comparison of MH new song to ‘Love’ I basically ripped off the SYL chorus from City of Love by Yes”

Now I don't think this is a call to absolute plagiarism. Nor did I quote it with that in mind. But Townsend is arguably one of the more outside the box and unique artists in modern rock/ metal. And when this dude admits he took clips from other songs and gave it his own spin (proof is although City of Love and Love? 's refrain are really similar the total package of both songs is almost on opposite poles) and says "Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble." I think it makes one wonder about these issues. Or as goes the famous T.S. Elliot quote that none other than Picasso later used to state in a shortened version:

“Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole feeling which is unique, utterly different than that from which it is torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion.”

Last edited:
When someone remixes or adds their own twist to something, it's like saying, "Here's how I see this through my unique lens." That's what makes art so beautiful and diverse.

And I agree, comparing it to putting it in a different part of the museum is a great analogy. It's not taking away from the original, but rather adding to the artistic tapestry. I think it's important to encourage these kinds of interpretations and collaborations.

By the way, it reminds me of how Devin Townsend handled a similar situation with Machine Head's riff similarities to SYL's Love? It's all about acknowledging the shared creative space. Plus, platforms like SMM World can help artists connect and share their unique perspectives with a wider audience.

Last edited:
When someone remixes or adds their own twist to something, it's like saying, "Here's how I see this through my unique lens." That's what makes art so beautiful and diverse.

And I agree, comparing it to putting it in a different part of the museum is a great analogy. It's not taking away from the original, but rather adding to the artistic tapestry. I think it's important to encourage these kinds of interpretations and collaborations.

By the way, it reminds me of how Devin Townsend handled a similar situation with Machine Head's riff similarities to SYL's Love? It's all about acknowledging the shared creative space. Plus, platforms like SMM World can help artists connect and share their unique perspectives with a wider audience.
WTF you going on about? Someone took someone else's work and edited it thinking they somehow made it "better". They didn't create their own version of it, like a cover. Seriously, WTF...

Back