Some Maiden songs a bit "slow" on CD??

Dantif3r

Prowler
I dont know if it is just me or if other people have caught it.. But doesnt it seem as if some songs on some of their albums are a bit slower then they should be?

For me songs like 22 Acacia Avenue, Die With Your Boots On, Flight of Icarus, and maybe even Revelations on their respective albums seem to be played a bit too slow. Its actually kind of annoying at times.

Has anyone else ever caught this? or am I just being overly picky about how I like songs played? lol

I think that like me, you're listening too much to their live albums and when you get to the studio versions they sound slow.  :smartarse:

Especially Hallowed Be Thy Name can be a weird experience. In the early nineties I was getting used to the live versions and when I later heard the studio version, I was amazed by the difference. In fact, the intro is faster and the rest of the song is way slower compared to the live versions of e.g. LAD, Maiden England and A Real Dead One.

Forostar said:
Especially Hallowed Be Thy Name can be a weird experience. In the early nineties I was getting used to the live version and when I later heard the studio version, I was amazed by the difference. In fact, the intro is faster and the rest of the song is way slower compared to the live versions of e.g. LAD, Maiden England and A Real Dead One.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Revelation is also very fast-paced comparing to it's studio version. Run to the Hills is a bit slower though. I have also found that these changes occur mostly on songs from the golden era (TNOTB, PS and POM). I think The Clairvoyant is played faster than the studio version on Maiden England, though.

Steve always wanted to play Flight of Icarus at a faster pace, but Bruce said to slow it down (apparently) to get air play on US rock stations. I like the live version better though.

Iron Maiden (the song) is played WAY to slow these days. Just look at the ''Rainbow'' gig with Di'Anno and then look at a recent live show. It used to be so fast and furious, but now it's just dull.

Reumeren said:
Iron Maiden (the song) is played WAY to slow these days. Just look at the ''Rainbow'' gig with Di'Anno and then look at a recent live show. It used to be so fast and furious, but now it's just dull.

I sooo disagree with you! The early days live version was too crampped and unprofessional. In the Bruce days the song has turned into a metal monster: all the heavy artillery of stage lighting and props, the slower, extended bridge in the middle, Nicko and Bruce simply outshine Clive and Di'anno on this one and the last part of the song, where everyone goes mental, is simply out of control. Just watch the RiR version to get hold on what I'm talking about. Simply put it's not only a metal number but a mental number :p

pilau said:
where everyone goes mental, is simply out of control. Just watch the RiR version to get hold on what I'm talking about. Simply put it's not only a metal number but a mental number :p

I'm talking about the song itself, not the extended ending. Once again, look at ''Live at the Rainbow'' it's so much better. And Di'Anno DOES sound better to this song, both Blaze and Bruce never nailed it like Paul did. Remember, this is a 100% subjective evaluation.

Reumeren said:

I'm not sure exactly when it changed, but it's been slow since at least the BNW tour.

Reumeren said:
Of course, but my moral code keeps me from revealing. :bigsmile:
OI! I've already cemented my position as Nostradamus on other forums. Don't you dare try to steal my glory. Vague predictions are part my habitat and my habitat only. 

Yeah and it's great live! Every VXI song played live is really, really good in concert.

yes this is true......for some time i listened only the live versions of the songs like blood brothers in rock in rio 2001 and i really liked it...and after some days i listened the studio version and i thought that it was extremely slow...lol.....but always IRON MAIDEN 4EVER  :D

Back