Some drummer questions...anyone?

That Girl

Invader
Anyone know why Nicko's drums are all bass-ackwards in the video for virus? He's got the hi-hats on the right side and the toms going off to the left. Was there any reason for that, or was it just for shits 'n' giggles because he was bored with playing the regular way?
Now a Clive question. In 'Beast over Hammersmith' I noticed Clive has a double bass pedal, but I only saw him use it at the end of 'Iron Maiden'. Anyone know if he uses it on any other songs? Gangland, maybe? Wonder if anyone'll even bother reading this...oh, sure if it's about guitars...

two wierd thing I haven't noticed. Now I must check them out [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

but to answer your question, I don't know [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, at least thanks for looking and replying! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] i know how annoying it can be when you have asked a question ond the topic has been read like a 100 times without any reply [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

right a possiblility with virus, and its only a possibility is that nicko played the correct way, but for some reason the director decided to mirror the image. its a technique used alot in cinemafor lighting reasons etc. it may be nicko taking the piss or the director. who knows?

as for clive, not sure exactly what songs he used double bass on. I'll go and listen to my entire collection now to find out - watch this space.

[!--QuoteBegin-Scream for me Stockholm+Nov 17 2005, 10:12 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Scream for me Stockholm @ Nov 17 2005, 10:12 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] i know how annoying it can be when you have asked a question ond the topic has been read like a 100 times without any reply [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123277[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Well hey, we don't all have the answers but at least they checked right?

[!--QuoteBegin-Taffy+Nov 17 2005, 05:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Taffy @ Nov 17 2005, 05:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]right a possiblility with virus, and its only a possibility is that nicko played the correct way, but for some reason the director decided to mirror the image. its a technique used alot in cinemafor lighting reasons etc. it may be nicko taking the piss or the director. who knows?
[snapback]123331[/snapback]​
[/quote]
If this were true, everything in the image would be mirrored, including the guitars (can't be arsed to load up VOTB to check, but I bet they aren't). My guess is the director knew nothing about music, let alone drumming, and thought he would 'spice things up' a bit by making nicko play this weird kit. Happens a lot actually, drummers standing up, drumming on a snare only etc. I remember the "Eagle Fly Free" vid by Helloween, they're performing on top of some sculpture with the drummer banging away at it with his sticks. I guess bringing a drum kit up there was too big a hassle [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Also, keeping a second hi-hat to your right along with the ride cymbal is not uncommon practice at all. You see it a lot with drummers who need to keep their speed up while playing different ride/crash/hi-hat combinations. A few i've seen doing it includes Jeff Singer (ex-BLAZE), Mike Terrana (Rage), Dave Lombardo (Slayer), and myself [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

that would be the exception to the rule [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think I heard that Pete Sandoval could blastbeat with one foot. That's strange all right. [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-that girl+Nov 12 2005, 10:32 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(that girl @ Nov 12 2005, 10:32 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Anyone know why Nicko's drums are all bass-ackwards in the video for virus? He's got the hi-hats on the right side and the toms going off to the left. Was there any reason for that, or was it just for shits 'n' giggles because he was bored with playing the regular way?
Now a Clive question. In 'Beast over Hammersmith' I noticed Clive has a double bass pedal, but I only saw him use it at the end of 'Iron Maiden'. Anyone know if he uses it on any other songs? Gangland, maybe? Wonder if anyone'll even bother reading this...oh, sure if it's about guitars...
[snapback]122927[/snapback]​
[/quote]

For Clive, I can't think of any studio track where he is using a double bass pedal...

For Nicko, I think the only track where he plays double bass drum is 'face in the sand'
And also I've been told he's barefoot while playing.

[!--QuoteBegin-Prodigal Son+Nov 25 2005, 09:04 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Prodigal Son @ Nov 25 2005, 09:04 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For Clive, I can't think of any studio track where he is using a double bass pedal...

For Nicko, I think the only track where he plays double bass drum is 'face in the sand'
[snapback]123968[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah, at the end of Rock in Rio, Nicko is walking around barefoot (and wearing sweatbands on his ankles!)

Think again [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Dec 10 2005, 03:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Dec 10 2005, 03:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Think again    [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]124866[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah, I listened to it again and it sounds like just a single pedal (and lots of toms!) I think he must've just had the double pedal for live shows to do outros.

[!--QuoteBegin-Prodigal Son+Nov 25 2005, 05:04 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Prodigal Son @ Nov 25 2005, 05:04 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For Clive, I can't think of any studio track where he is using a double bass pedal...

[snapback]123968[/snapback]​
[/quote]

thinking about it again (and listening as well [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ), I've noticed a few moments where Clive might use a double-bass pedal (but I doubt this is the case) :

- Children of the Damned (the bridge after the 2nd chorus)
- 22 acacia avenue (outro)
- Purgatory (verses)

[!--QuoteBegin-Prodigal Son+Dec 19 2005, 04:39 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Prodigal Son @ Dec 19 2005, 04:39 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]thinking about it again (and listening as well  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ), I've noticed a few moments where Clive might use a double-bass pedal (but I doubt this is the case) :

- Children of the Damned (the bridge after the 2nd chorus)
- 22 acacia avenue (outro)
- Purgatory (verses)
[snapback]125463[/snapback]​
[/quote]
No it is played with one pedal

$yk0_H said:
[!--QuoteBegin-Taffy+Nov 17 2005, 05:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Taffy @ Nov 17 2005, 05:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]right a possiblility with virus, and its only a possibility is that nicko played the correct way, but for some reason the director decided to mirror the image. its a technique used alot in cinemafor lighting reasons etc. it may be nicko taking the piss or the director. who knows?
[snapback]123331[/snapback]​

If this were true, everything in the image would be mirrored, including the guitars (can't be arsed to load up VOTB to check, but I bet they aren't). My guess is the director knew nothing about music, let alone drumming, and thought he would 'spice things up' a bit by making nicko play this weird kit. Happens a lot actually, drummers standing up, drumming on a snare only etc. I remember the "Eagle Fly Free" vid by Helloween, they're performing on top of some sculpture with the drummer banging away at it with his sticks. I guess bringing a drum kit up there was too big a hassle [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Also, keeping a second hi-hat to your right along with the ride cymbal is not uncommon practice at all. You see it a lot with drummers who need to keep their speed up while playing different ride/crash/hi-hat combinations. A few i've seen doing it includes Jeff Singer (ex-BLAZE), Mike Terrana (Rage), Dave Lombardo (Slayer), and myself  [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Maybe Nicko decided to try left handed for a change, i know ive tried it, although i dont know why they would video it like that. Probably some experiment just to make people think.

Back