So, what did you think about Death on the Road?

HI... i waesnt specially moved by the album....

I'll like to ask what was your favorite and less favourite song.... my favorite was dance of death and my least favorite... can I play with madness

I heard Hallowed Be Thy Name from this album on the radio yesterday, and it did sound awesome, so maybe I will buy the album after all. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I didnt buy "death on the road" because I'm waiting forward to the DVD...
I think it's boring to have the cd and dvd of same gig(that's why i don't have Rock in rio-album)... That's why downloaded it too... Maybe I'll buy the cd when it gets cheaper... I agree with you Duke.

I'm gonna stick with my bootlegs till the DVD comes out.

[!--QuoteBegin-Panos the clansman+Sep 4 2005, 02:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Panos the clansman @ Sep 4 2005, 02:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Everyone here appreciates maiden!!! (otherwise why would they be here???)
[snapback]117408[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Prats like DOD=WEAK proves you wrong Panos [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I tought that the cd was pretty good, altrough half of the songs were on rock in rio. The great thing are the dance of death songs, wich I liked much.

Whatever you guys may say, I think that wildest dreams is a kick-ass opener, here even better than on the album. Just like Janick said somwhere, first there is the count to four by Nicko, and then the atom bomb explodes. Maiden show's off how energic they still are in this song. Ofcourse then there are the songs that we have heard too many times, that are on every friggin' live album and that everyone starts to get bored with, but fuckit, if you listen to the album from an objective point of view, they pretty much hold their place there, altrough can I play with madness isn't that great live.
Then in comes the real treat, dance of death, rainmaker and paschendale. These dod songs are the reason I like this album. Shitbanging stuff, and they are followed by a great version of lord of the flies. Great stuff, Bruce sings this one great.
On the other cd, there are just no more lies and journeyman, and the other's are once again those songs that maiden play night after night, but I dont really mind.
The songs from the latest maiden album are the real point here, and they work really well, I like the album, and you old buggers should like it too [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Okay, that's my little vining to you who dont like the album. I must add, that I understand why people tend to be a little upset towards maiden because on every live there are 60% same songs that are on every other live album, but if we somehow manage to put this thing aside, its a pretty damn good album.
And for the rant thing, maiden may have wanted a "theatratical" live album, and maybe they tought that if Bruce is speaking between the songs it would spoil the whole thing. Who knows, its still a shame that they are left off, but even this doesnt spoil my attitude toeards the album.

Thanks if you managed to read all this crap [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Great album!
Great sound and vocals, Journeyman and Paschendale standing out as the top treats!

Does anybody know anything about a releasedate and price?

[!--QuoteBegin-RudeZ+Sep 29 2005, 11:37 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(RudeZ @ Sep 29 2005, 11:37 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Great album!
Great sound and vocals, Journeyman and Paschendale standing out as the top treats!

Does anybody know anything about a releasedate and price?
[snapback]119583[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Surely you would know the release date and price if you already have the album? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Sep 29 2005, 11:50 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Sep 29 2005, 11:50 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Surely you would know the release date and price if you already have the album? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]119585[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Damn, sorry, I meant for the DVD... Stupid me!
[!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

To be quite honest: I actually have an issue with the way the album was recorded/mastered.

I'm really not a great fan of the "Shirley Sound": Over the top compression wich enables tracks to be mastered at near-clipping volumes seems to be THE hit within the current Maiden producing-camp.

Troughout the last two decades producers and technicians alike have attempted to create CD's (and now also DVD's) with a maximum sound output. However unintended, they've started a technological war amongst each other, supported by company marketeers claiming that "The best bands make the loudest noise"... But so do empty vessels, don't they?

Kevin Shirley, along with a large number of contemporary producers, has used modern technology to litterally hit the CD's "sound-ceiling", giving Maiden the sound they want: That of a contemporary band.

I really think Maiden has made lots of efforts to appeal to a new, younger audience. Changing the way their albums are being produced is certainly amongst the ones most notable.

Nonetheless Maiden still kick arse with every live gig they perform and Death On The Road is as much a testament to their musical- and performance qualities as was Live After Death. Still, personally I would have gone for the "classic" Martin Birch producing approach: Dynamics, more dynamics, lots of headroom and even more dynamics!

[!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

/edit

Erm.. can anyone tell me who's fuckin things up at about 3:00 minutes into "Lord Of The Flies"? It surely can't be Nicko, nor "The Smith"... That passage truly gave me the old "Fingernails scratching the Blackboard" feeling... Eeeek [!--emo&:wacko:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wacko.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wacko.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Sep 2 2005, 03:43 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Sep 2 2005, 03:43 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
Honestly people - did we really need yet another live version of "Run to the Hills"? Live After Death, Live at Donington, A Real Dead One, and Rock In Rio (EVERY live album to date) has Run to the Hills. Give us a break and give us something new please, for the love of Eddie! (Same goes for the Trooper and Number of the Beast - great songs, but they are on prevous live albums and are here at the expense of too many other great ones)

[snapback]117170[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I agree with you there duke. But you are also forgetting the live stuff on eddies archive, which all features these songs too. I don't know whether you're lucky enough to have heard the archive but trust me, these songs pop up everywhere. ok, so I think I could probably listen to hallowed over and over again, but songs like run to the hills (sorry kids, it really is a mediocre maiden song) keep popping up, and I've started to skip that song whenever i hear it now!!

[!--QuoteBegin-No Airmen ID+Oct 19 2005, 09:00 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(No Airmen ID @ Oct 19 2005, 09:00 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
/edit

Erm.. can anyone tell me who's fuckin things up at about 3:00 minutes into "Lord Of The Flies"? It surely can't be Nicko, nor "The Smith"... That passage truly gave me the old "Fingernails scratching the Blackboard" feeling... Eeeek  [!--emo&:wacko:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wacko.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wacko.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]120626[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Probably Janick who's messing around with his usual experimental improvisasions.

Sorry for being so late here, but I only bought this album a couple of weeks ago.

As a whole, I really like this album. I think it's a brilliant set-list, one of the best ever. Nice to hear a song from the Blaze era in there, and I think Bruce does a good job on singing Lord of the Flies, considering it wasn't written with his voice in mind; maybe he's not quite so strong in the chorus, but a good choice anyway.

I still like hearing the old classics: Wrathchild, Can I Play With Madness, The Trooper, and of course Hallowed Be Thy Name and Fear Of The Dark. The six songs from the new album were good, but I guess they practically picked themselves anyway. Fantastic to hear Paschendale live! I'm not a huge fan of Rainmaker though, so I would have liked an older song in its place, maybe The Clairvoyant or The Evil That Men Do.

Overall, I would place this album on a par with Rock In Rio, behind Live After Death, but significantly better than the '92 live albums.

^ that just about sums it up really...

DOTR is a good maiden album, but still lies behind RIR and LAD. I wonder if Maiden will ever release a live album of previously-unreleased live tracks...

[!--QuoteBegin-eddies_ead+Nov 29 2005, 12:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(eddies_ead @ Nov 29 2005, 12:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]^ that just about sums it up really...

DOTR is a good maiden album, but still lies behind RIR and LAD. I wonder if Maiden will ever release a live album of previously-unreleased live tracks...
[snapback]124297[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Why not just get some good quality bootlegs? [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

i mean as an official thing or summat, with proper quality recording etc and sleevenotes...

plus some people (like myself) dont have access to the internet to gather bootlegs.

Well, it's a great album, but, like someone else previously said, the old stuff is what people is looking forward to see, let me explain myself, I have never been able to see Maiden live, and of course when I can manage to go to a concert (hopefully), I want to hear Hallowed by Thy Name, The Trooper and all those songs, and of course the new ones, anyway I saw in a store the DVD, but you know, money is a big problem, so I'll try to buy it soon and I want to discuss the DVD with all of you, the big problem will be that they already have a great Live DVD (RiR), and it'll be kinda difficult to make DotR better.

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Nov 29 2005, 01:05 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Nov 29 2005, 01:05 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Well, it's a great album, but, like someone else previously said, the old stuff is what people is looking forward to see, let me explain myself, I have never been able to see Maiden live, and of course when I can manage to go to a concert (hopefully), I want to hear Hallowed by Thy Name, The Trooper and all those songs, and of course the new ones, anyway I saw in a store the DVD, but you know, money is a big problem, so I'll try to buy it soon and I want to discuss the DVD with all of you, the big problem will be that they already have a great Live DVD (RiR), and it'll be kinda difficult to make DotR better.
[snapback]124306[/snapback]​
[/quote]
So you saw the DotR DVD in a store?

In my opinion, Death on the Road is inconsistent, but it does have it's great moments. Dance of Death, Wildest Dreams, No More Lies, Paschendale, and Journeyman sound very good and are far better than their studio versions. The Trooper also sounds pretty good, and Hallowed be thy Name sounds good, especially because Janick actually adds more melody to his solo on Hallowed be thy Name as opposed to Rock in Rio, where his solo sounds very sloppy (just for the records, I'm not a Janick basher, I actually appreciate his work with Maiden).

However, Death on the Road does have plenty of not-so good moments. I'm not a big fan of Rainmaker, Can I Play With Madness, and Lord of the Flies, and I usually skip them when I'm listening to Death on the Road. Also, Bruce sounds tired by the time they reach Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills.

Death on the Road is a good album, but it falls very short of Live After Death and Rock in Rio. However, it's a nice treat to hear some of the songs from Dance of Death live.

[!--QuoteBegin-Wicker Man+Nov 29 2005, 02:05 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Wicker Man @ Nov 29 2005, 02:05 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]So you saw the DotR DVD in a store?
[snapback]124315[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Nope, sorry I got confused [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back