So, what did you think about Death on the Road?

Shadow

Deluxe Edition
Staff member
Good live album! I picked up a copy today and has listened to it once. The sound is excellent and many of the new songs really come to life in concert! My only real complaint is that they've left out virtually every Bruce rant which has always been one of the treats of a Maiden live album.

I'll post a more in-depth review later but I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks!

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Sep 1 2005, 06:03 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Sep 1 2005, 06:03 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]My only real complaint is that they've left out virtually every Bruce rant which has always been one of the treats of a Maiden live album.

[/quote]

That's also my complaint. Not only the rants are gone.: There is not a single introduction and also not a single "thank you" left on the album. Because of this, I find the concert a cold happening.

I love Paschendale! Cool to hear the backing vocals so well. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Forostar+Sep 1 2005, 07:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Sep 1 2005, 07:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]That's also my complaint. Not only the rants are gone.: There is not a single introduction and also not a single "thank you" left on the album. Because of this, I find the concert a cold happening.

I love Paschendale! Cool to hear the backing vocals so well. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]117114[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Loved it,very good though i wish they played sign of the cross,the clansman on there ,guess they are to long.But its a good album,now i hope they dont do another live one for at least a few more decades(only half joking).

It's okay, but I am dissapointed.

Yes, everyone wants to hear the classics, but within reason surely.

Only 7 or 8 of the 17 live tracks are not avaliable on another live record, I'm just getting a little sick of hearing the same old songs performed live, I don't want/need another live version of Iron Maiden, or Run to the Hills, or Hallowed be thy Name, or Number of the Beast and so on, I am no objection to a few of these being in the album, but why so many!

And they'll probably release another live album from the current tour, which will just be exactly like Live After Death but with an extra guitar.

I really am starting to lose faith in Maiden.

Although I must say, Paschendale is fantastic on that album.

[!--QuoteBegin-penguinmaister+Sep 1 2005, 07:58 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(penguinmaister @ Sep 1 2005, 07:58 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's okay, but I am dissapointed.

Yes, everyone wants to hear the classics, but within reason surely.

Only 7 or 8 of the 17 live tracks are not avaliable on another live record, I'm just getting a little sick of hearing the same old songs performed live, I don't want/need another live version of Iron Maiden, or Run to the Hills, or Hallowed be thy Name, or Number of the Beast and so on, I am no objection to a few of these being in the album, but why so many!

And they'll probably release another live album from the current tour, which will just be exactly like Live After Death but with an extra guitar.

I really am starting to lose faith in Maiden.

Although I must say, Paschendale is fantastic on that album.
[snapback]117125[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I wonder if they are to scared to not play the classics,or they may think that the fans will go wild if they dont play them.Like you said i wish we got to hear some more songs that they hardly ever play live these days,or have never played.
They have such a huge fan base,and hardly need the money now,so i feel if they ever do another live album,and i am sure they will,they should just go for it and do a live album with different songs.Manowar did that a while back,doing two live albums,with mainly differnent songs on both,bar a few.

Death On The Road is another great live album, and maybe better than Rock In Rio in some points. What I've really liked in this album is the sound, which is quite fantastic for the guitars, and of course the newest tracks with their "different" version from DOD. As for the negative points, I guess it could be the ranting but also the sad memories of the great DOD gigs that this album brings back.
And yes, Maiden has proved once again that their live performance can beat anybody, even their own studio albums by the unique energy and feeling that it creates! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers

They played the songs that they played at that gig, they cant change that. They will play the classics because thats what people want to hear when they go to a maiden show.

I did enjoy the album, good sound which was great to hear after... hearing various bootlegs. Too bad they leave out the Bruce rants, they're part of the fun. I doubt they'll be on the dvd either which is a shame but oh well.

I look forward to the dvd... I cant wait to see Paschendale live. I'd love to experience it again for real, but it wont happen anytime soon it seems.

I don't feel this album is really worth buying... Even if the sound is good, most of the songs feel exactly the same than in Rock in Rio... Like a few of you said, it would have been cool to hear Bruce's rants.

However, I look forward to the DVD to see again the impressive theatrals for Dance of Death and Paschendale.

I have to admit: I downloaded the entire album today, on LooseCannon's reccomendation. I honestly don't think it's worth buying. As a previous poster said, the 'old' songs were not much different than the versions on previous live albums, and there only new song they really did well was Paschendale.

A great personal disappointment was the rather mundane treatment of Wildest Dreams. They could have done so much more with it. It reminds me of a bad cross between Megadeth's "Skin o' my teeth" and Metallica's "Fuel." It just wasn't up to par.
What is up with that intro thing? If they were going to play that as a buildup to the first song, I think Number of the Beast or Fear of the Dark would have been more appropriate ones to ring in the show wiith. Wildest Dreams just doesn't work with all the pseudo-spooky stuff, sorry. The studio version has recently become one of my favourite Maiden songs, and I have to say I was quite disappointed by this performance.

Also conspicuously absent was "Face in the Sand." I think this song could be even better live than the version on DoD.

Honestly people - did we really need yet another live version of "Run to the Hills"? Live After Death, Live at Donington, A Real Dead One, and Rock In Rio (EVERY live album to date) has Run to the Hills. Give us a break and give us something new please, for the love of Eddie! (Same goes for the Trooper and Number of the Beast - great songs, but they are on prevous live albums and are here at the expense of too many other great ones)

Aside from the admittedly stunning performance of Paschendale, the greatest virtue I saw was the inclusion of ""Lord of the Flies" - an often-overlooked Maiden song. It's one of their best, in my opinion, and I hadn't heard it live until now. Quite well done.

This album just isn't worth the price, especially if you already own live versions of so many of the songs.

I still loves Maiden, though. Up the Irons.

Just a sidenote - Face in the Sand wasn't played because it almost killed Nicko when he played it for the album.

Picked up a copy yesterday and I must say that I wasn't very impressed. [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Sure, the sound's great and I love the live versions of Journeyman and
Paschendale, but the other songs which we've heard on numerous recordings
already - Wrathchild, Iron Maiden, Fear of the dark.... I don't think they're nearly
as good as on the Rock in Rio compilation.
But I'll pick up a copy on the DVD too when it's realeased and I'm sure I'll enjoy it more then!

I do agree many of the classics sound tired (although I found the version of Fear of the Dark to be one of the better) but it's still far better than Rock in Rio. The sound is much better and there's none of the awful cut-and-paste which ruined many songs on RIR (The Clansman is virtually unlistenable IMO).

I think the Dance of Death songs all came off better live. Dance of Death, Paschendale and Journeyman are brilliant in the studio versions but the live energy really gave them an extra dimension. Same with Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker and No More Lies which are all quite pale on DOD. I'd still prefer Montsegur to any of the last three though.

Leaving out the Bruce rants partially ruined the album though. Unlike many I think Live at Donington is excellent and that's mainly because nothing's been cut from it, giving it the feel of a real concert. Nothing beats the Maiden England video in terms of a Maiden concert though.

I love it. Sure it could have been better with the addition of the rare tracks that were played on the GMETID tour as a bonus (22 Acacia Avenue, Revelations, Die with your boots on, Bring your daughter...) and I really miss Bruce's rants (and the band introduction, I bet they would be there on the DVD), but all in all is a quite enjoyable live album, and probably the best sounding Maiden live release.

The album is certainly worth buying. Aren't 6 "never played before live" and 2 "not heard for a long time" songs enough for you???

As for Bruceys rants, the introductions and the finale, well that gives us something to look foward to on the DVD, doesn't it...!!!???

Also they played the best "Run to the hills" and "Number of the beast" yet!!! And as for the intro to "Hallowed be thy name", absolutely great.

Up the irons (only to those who appreciate maiden and their work)

[!--QuoteBegin-Panos the clansman+Sep 2 2005, 02:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Panos the clansman @ Sep 2 2005, 02:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The album is certainly worth buying. Aren't 6 "never played before live" and 2 "not heard for a long time" songs enough for you???

As for Bruceys rants, the introductions and the finale, well that gives us something to look foward to on the DVD, doesn't it...!!!???

Also they played the best "Run to the hills" and "Number of the beast" yet!!! And as for the intro to "Hallowed be thy name", absolutely great.

[snapback]117227[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I agree with you that they are very well played,but i for one feel they should lose all those songs,and do something else,how many live abums have they been on now.
Also to losing the rants,and them being on the DVD,well that will make us have to get that to hear them,good marketing there,gotta feel sorry for the non DVD owners,and you would be suprised how many people there are with out one.
Oh by the way ive around 30 maiden bootlegs,seen them over 12 times,and got all there albums,so im quite sure i appreciate them just as much as you .

[!--QuoteBegin-chrisM+Sep 2 2005, 06:53 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(chrisM @ Sep 2 2005, 06:53 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I agree with you that they are very well played,but i for one feel they should lose all those songs,and do something else,how many live abums have they been on now.
Also to losing the rants,and them being on the DVD,well that will make us have to get that to hear them,good marketing there,gotta feel sorry for the non DVD owners,and you would be suprised how many people there are with out one.
Oh by the way ive around 30 maiden bootlegs,seen them over 12 times,and got all there albums,so im quite sure i appreciate them just as much as you .
[snapback]117258[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Just read my post,and believe me im not here to start a fight,may have come across a bit heavy there,we all have after all different ideas on stuff,which is just how it should be.

[!--QuoteBegin-Panos the clansman+Sep 2 2005, 11:54 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Panos the clansman @ Sep 2 2005, 11:54 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The album is certainly worth buying. Aren't 6 "never played before live" and 2 "not heard for a long time" songs enough for you???

[snapback]117227[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Please elaborate on what you said there. All you're doing is going through my post and saying "No!" to each negative comment I made.
And what are you implying by saying "only to those who appreciate maiden"? For the record, I very much appreciate their GOOD work. I'm a FAN of Iron Maiden, not a worshiper. This album simply was not up to par.

I miss the rants and presentations of the songs, wonder why they aren't there. Sound is good, Steve and Adrians vocals is better to hear then RiR.

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Sep 2 2005, 09:59 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Sep 2 2005, 09:59 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Please elaborate on what you said there. All you're doing is going through my post and saying "No!" to each negative comment I made.
And what are you implying by saying "only to those who appreciate maiden"? For the record, I very much appreciate their GOOD work. I'm a FAN of Iron Maiden, not a worshiper. This album simply was not up to par.
[snapback]117262[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Look duke, I didn't say all those things just to disagree with you!!! The truth is that that is what I believe. Sorry if you feel insulted in any way. Everyone here appreciates maiden!!! (otherwise why would they be here???)
Still i must comment on the bootleg thingy. If you listen to the songs millions of times before the official release of a concert then of course that is why you don't think it's worth bying...

I haven't bought the album yet, and the reaction in here hasn't been the best, so probably won't buy it. I do intend on buying the DVD though - it's bound to be (at least a bit) better, no?

Back