Slayer

I guess that's what happens when music gives way to business.

So far, we've been safe. Then again, it took Judas Priest 41 years to get to that point, and Maiden haven't even existed that long yet.

It's different with Priest, cause KK left on his own because he didn't wanna play anymore afaik. I meant, I hope Maiden members never get fired/replaced because of money.

There's no getting away from music being business, not with a band with such a degree of success :(
Funny....I haven't read a tremendous amount about Maiden, so I don't really know, but I'd sort of assumed a high level of mutual business type professionalism was quite central to the band. Hence the side projects as a musical outlet, and no massive public bust-ups likely to split the fan base.
But then, I haven't studied the subject in any detail.

Maiden doesn't have members in the band or in their management like Kerry King. That is a big reason why. Kerry King is a gigantic douchebag who have been running Slayer for the past 10-15 years or more most likely for financial reasons alone..Woulden't be surprised if he gets more than anyone else in the band.

There's no getting away from music being business, not with a band with such a degree of success :(
Funny....I haven't read a tremendous amount about Maiden, so I don't really know, but I'd sort of assumed a high level of mutual business type professionalism was quite central to the band. Hence the side projects as a musical outlet, and no massive public bust-ups likely to split the fan base.
But then, I haven't studied the subject in any detail.

You're right with that. I think that Maiden are a bunch of adults who get along with each other and know that with a band, what counts is the music. If they don't go out and tour together and don't put out albums every once in a while that are actually testaments to genuine creative process, there would be no business either.

I'm sure that's what they agreed on to tell everyone.
No, that's what Glenn is saying. KK is open with the fact that he's had a bit of falling out with "management and a certain band member (s?)". That means Jayne Andrews (assistant manager since like 30 years back and also Glenn's fiancee) and Glenn. KK wanted to tour, he was geared up and ready when he decided he'd had enough.

The way Maiden tours nowadays is also a big factor...They each have an enormous amount of freedom. They don't actually have to spend too much time together besides being on the same stage for the gigs or in the same studio for the recordings.

Yep. Doesn't have to be money though, might as well be creative control, or wanting to be more involved in decisions in general.

Any amount of extensive time around the same people can drive people nuts. Ever tried working with just 1 guy who drove you off the wall for like, just months? perhaps a year? Well imagine having to deal with that guy for 30 or 40 years because you're in a major band together :p

Glenn was like "yeah I was shocked when KK said he wanted to leave. So I emailed him".

Email? You couldn't pick up the phone for something like this?

I must say though, that Ritchie's an excellent replacement. I half expected Roy Z, who I at hte time thought would be ideal. Now after the Epitath tour, I'm confident that Raitchie's was an even better choice.

Man, that sucks. Kerry always seemed like a cool guy :/

He is a cool guy if you're 15....Oh shit, you are 15 :p Just kidding dude..

But seriously. Kerry King was that bully who ruled the playground during recess when you were in the 5th grade and everyone thought he was cool. Then, everyone grew up and moved along in life to different things but Kerry still holds unto that attitude that he is the ruler of the playground..the playground that everyone else abandoned so very long ago...Just sad.

I'm quite sure that's the case. Probably with lots (if not most) of bands, sooner or later.

Apparently Lombardo had similar issues during the 80s..

Yeah he was out of the band for nearly 10 years in the 90s because of conflicts (again) with Kerry King.And apparently he also left back in the 80s because of money issues..

Back