Senjutsu charts position

I think this is the realistic list of tickets sales, correct me if I am wrong.

1.Metallica

2.Maiden, Rammstein, Black Sabbath (last tours)

3.Nightwish, Slipknot, BabyMetal(!), Sabaton (in Europe)

4. Judas Priest

RATM & SOAD will be close to Maiden if they are more active.

Priest is a much bigger worldwide act.
Europe is the Haven for metal music. USA doesn't give a realistic view of how bands fear in the world.

Album sales also isn't a great indicator, even big bands like Maiden don't put much effort/money into producing and marketing albums and albums are released few and far between now, since people by and large won't pay for music recordings.

Ultimately, who really cares?
Maiden are already a well established band, in their hay day.
I've seen Maiden probably 4 times already, I'd like to see Within Temptation and Nightwish, but they don't really come to NZ.
I guess poor album sales might make them scared to come over. Judas Priest chickened out of coming to NZ after Nostradamus came out.
Concerts are the money earner, they aren't for promoting and encouraging album sales.
Its a very tough business these days.

Europe is the Haven for metal music. USA doesn't give a realistic view of how bands fear in the world.

Album sales also isn't a great indicator, even big bands like Maiden don't put much effort/money into producing and marketing albums and albums are released few and far between now, since people by and large won't pay for music recordings.

Ultimately, who really cares?
Maiden are already a well established band, in their hay day.
I've seen Maiden probably 4 times already, I'd like to see Within Temptation and Nightwish, but they don't really come to NZ.
I guess poor album sales might make them scared to come over. Judas Priest chickened out of coming to NZ after Nostradamus came out.
Concerts are the money earner, they aren't for promoting and encouraging album sales.
Its a very tough business these days.
I am really trying to respect the fact that you are a diehard Nightwish fan and keep my replies serious. You want to exclude the biggest markets (U.S, U.K) to draw conclusions but that’s not how it works and I will leave it at that.

I am really trying to respect the fact that you are a diehard Nightwish fan and keep my replies serious. You want to exclude the biggest markets (U.S, U.K) to draw conclusions but that’s not how it works and I will leave it at that.
I'm not a diehard Nightwish fan.
I don't belong to any Nightwish forums, I don't have any Nightwish memorabilia, I don't even own any Nightwish physical album copies.
I never said to exclude the UK market, I didn't even say to exclude the US market, I just said not to base everything off US numbers.

I'm not even saying whether Nightwish are bigger or smaller with regards to concert attendances than Iron Maiden.
My only comparison was the epicness of the epic songs of the bands and the quality of the singers.

I took umbrage with you saying "Nightwish e.t.c are just a cut above club bands." which is utter nonsense.

I think this is the realistic list of tickets sales, correct me if I am wrong.

1.Metallica

2.Maiden, Rammstein, Black Sabbath (last tours)

3.Nightwish, Slipknot, BabyMetal(!), Sabaton (in Europe)

4. Judas Priest

RATM & SOAD will be close to Maiden if they are more active.
RATM and SOAD on respective full-scale reunion tours would probably be comfortably in that second tier. Priest surely has to be higher than fourth tier, no? Slipknot I think you could put Tier 2.5.

I don't belong to any Nightwish forums, I don't have any Nightwish memorabilia, I don't even own any Nightwish physical album copies.
I never said to exclude the UK market, I didn't even say to exclude the US market, I just said not to base everything off US numbers.

I'm not even saying whether Nightwish are bigger or smaller with regards to concert attendances than Iron Maiden.
My only comparison was the epicness of the epic songs of the bands and the quality of the singers.

I took umbrage with you saying "Nightwish e.t.c are just a cut above club bands." which is utter nonsense.
Being called a club band isn't a snub. That has nothing to do with the quality and integrity of a band's music and live performances. Box office records are just a cold hard fact.

Being called a club band isn't a snub. That has nothing to do with the quality and integrity of a band's music and live performances. Box office records are just a cold hard fact.
It is a snub.
Nightwish are an international act, the top Symphonic Metal band, the top female fronted metal band, the top metal band from Finland (an entire country).
They are not a club band by any stretch of the imagination.

It is a snub.
Nightwish are an international act, the top Symphonic Metal band, the top female fronted metal band, the top metal band from Finland (an entire country).
They are not a club band by any stretch of the imagination.
Not strictly but they certainly are where I'm from and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd love to play to 2,000 people a night.

Not strictly but they certainly are where I'm from and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd love to play to 2,000 people a night.
Grrrrrr

This conversation makes me wonder though regarding the state of heavy metal.

We have so much diversity these days and reliance on radio or music shows like MTV etc is no longer there because platforms such as spotify and youtube, but especially spotify, allows an easy path to discovery of new bands, and trying out of new music without forking out 30 bucks for an album of something you are not sure whether you will grow to like/love or not.

But without the flagships of Metallica, ACDC, Iron Maiden, how will people in large enough numbers keep being into metal and hard rock so that new bands can develop and tour and thrive?
There really is some great stuff out there, bands that should be really big like Nightwish, Helloween but aren't able to take over as the flagships. I know Helloween is as old as Maiden, but they should have been much bigger than they are. Their last album was amazeballs.
With Metallica and Maiden putting out albums every 6+ years. ACDC pretty much retired. What next????

#10 in Japan

Technically this is Senjutsu's second week on the chart - it debuted at #96 in the first week.
Considering that TBOS charted at #6 in 2015 and that Helloween's new album charted at #6 earlier this year, this isn't exactly good news (>_<)

#10 is not bad - the only other Maiden albums in a higher position in Japan are TFF (#5) and TBOS (#6)..., but still I expected the album to be in the leading positions there.
Yeah I think you're right.
Just found out that its domestic CD release date was pushed back from Sep 3rd to 8th at the last minute while those that come with Blu-ray won't even be shipped until Sep 22nd. Sounds like the conditions are far from ideal this time.

Yep. Nightwish sells out big arenas Priest cannot even tour in.

With Metallica and Maiden putting out albums every 6+ years. ACDC pretty much retired. What next????
I am not afraid about metal in future, in mid '00 I was afraid but now I think future of metal is very good.

Nightwish, Slipknot are still in early '40 so they are just entering their peak.

Sabaton will be huge if they continue like this, Ghost will be main rock/metal act in future.

If RATM & SOAD will be active they could also be the main acts in industry.
Rammstein is already on Maiden level but they are older than these bands above.

Nobody will be like Metallica or Maiden but again I dont think that we should be worried about metal music. Just remebered 15-20 yrs ago when Maiden were only stable band.

Metallica was done, Priest also, Sabbath was joke with Ozzy on MTV, and all new popular bands were Nu Metal style.

If the future of metal is Slipknot, Nightwish, Sabaton, Ghost then metal has no future. One rap/Nu metal band, two Eurovision-style bands and one hard rock/pop band masquerading as metal because of its image.
#10 in Japan

Technically this is Senjutsu's second week on the chart - it debuted at #96 in the first week.
Considering that TBOS charted at #6 in 2015 and that Helloween's new album charted at #6 earlier this year, this isn't exactly good news (>_<)
Japan is a very special market for Helloween.

If the future of metal is Slipknot, Nightwish, Sabaton, Ghost then metal has no future. One rap/Nu metal band, two Eurovision-style bands and one hard rock/pop band masquerading as metal because of its image.
I have no idea what "Eurovision style" is meant to imply, especially when it apparently applies equally to two very different bands.

If the future of metal is Slipknot, Nightwish, Sabaton, Ghost then metal has no future.
What was the future of metal in '90? What was the in '00?

I dont get you, what do you want? New Maiden and Metallica bands?

New bands are coming with their own style. If I want Maiden no.2 I will just play old Maiden records I dont need another copy/paste band.

Back