Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Yep, a matter of taste. I don’t listen to Gojira so I wouldn’t know. But perhaps the writers at Classic Rock genuinely think it’s the best and aren’t trying to appease anyone. Don’t be a cynic..

Perhaps that is the case, but they are the same people who end up writing the text of the band’s tour programmes or re-released albums…

Call me a cynic if you wish, but I have friends who worked in metal magazines in the past and keeping Maiden happy opened many doors (and having Maiden on the cover meant a significant increase in sales for the mags).

Last edited:
If you exclude the crying cat that tries to sing, quite a grooving track that leaves space for some improvisation. Senjutsu has gained my respect after all. I think that people do not give enough credit to the album despite its' obvious shortcomings. Especially Steve managed to provide 3 songs that really push the envelope although at first they seem to reuse the same old formula.

Almost all songs in the album have something unique in them:

Senjutsu - the drumming.
TWOTW - the melodic riff.
LIALW - the intro.
Darkest Hour - the first proper ballad from the reunion era.
The Parchment - 6 solos and no chorus.
Hell On Earth - 3:30 minutes without singing... new record for the band.

For the other songs, I'm not sure (maybe the acoustic guitar under the chorus in TTM? or the unexpected timing of Janick's solo in Stratego?).

The more time passes, the more I think Eddie-samurai was not right idea for this album. There's no central "Japan" theme going on. To me it looks far-fetched. Eddie as a Celt, or Eddie The Scotsman, or Eddie The Indian would be much more fitting ideas.
This is not an angry rant, just an observation.

KERRANG TOP 50 ALBUMS OF 2021

THERE'S A LOT OF SHIT ON IT. I respect the Maiden album position, even Mastodon, Trivium, Gojira… but where are Evergrey, Moonspell, UDO, Carcass, Helloween, Epica, Dream Theater, Accept, Running Wild…?
Kerrang probably listened to Invisible Monster and decided that was enough.

In all seriousness, I'm a fan of the band and I thought it was a predictably boring affair. I wouldn't include it in my end of year list.
I think this mag forget what 'METAL' Term means long time ago.
In fairness it is Kerrang, not Metal Hammer, and I can't see where the article specifies that it's the top 50 metal albums.
The more time passes, the more I think Eddie-samurai was not right idea for this album. There's no central "Japan" theme going on. To me it looks far-fetched. Eddie as a Celt, or Eddie The Scotsman, or Eddie The Indian would be much more fitting ideas.
The more time passes, the more I think Eddie-sphinx was not the right idea for Powerslave. There's no central "Egypt" theme going on. To me it looks farfetched. Eddie as a pilot, or Eddie The Ancient Mariner, or Eddie The Fencer would be much more fitting ideas.

;)

Last edited:
Coming Home? Out of the Shadows? Journeyman?
Most of his list feels like reaching for the sake of making a list, to be honest... "drumming"/"melodic riff"/"the intro" are incredibly vague, and "3:30 without singing" is categorically not a new record for the band when (for example) Empire of the Clouds has a 6 minute instrumental section in the middle.

Most of his list feels like reaching for the sake of making a list, to be honest... "drumming"/"melodic riff"/"the intro" are incredibly vague, and "3:30 without singing" is categorically not a new record for the band when (for example) Empire of the Clouds has a 6 minute instrumental section in the middle.

He means length of time from start of the song to the first lyric, which is a new record.

You can't be serious - you heard the style of drumming in the title track in other Maiden song or you heard the ''ahh-ahh'' intro of LIALW in other Maiden song or the western/folky melodic riff of TWOTW is not unique for the band? @srfc already told you about Hell On Earth.
Coming Home? Out of the Shadows? Journeyman?
Journeyman is a fully acoustic song. About the other two songs, you're right, but I think Darkest Hour is even more ballad-y than them.
This is not an angry rant, just an observation.
The album cover is always based on the theme of the title track (the example with Powerslave is quite appropriate) - if you can connect some of the other songs to this theme, then it's a nice bonus (like it is in TBOS album)... Stratego fits.

Yeah what's Mayans got to do with zeppelins, biplane jousting or Robin Williams.

KERRANG TOP 50 ALBUMS OF 2021

THERE'S A LOT OF SHIT ON IT. I respect the Maiden album position, even Mastodon, Trivium, Gojira… but where are Evergrey, Moonspell, UDO, Carcass, Helloween, Epica, Dream Theater, Accept, Running Wild…?
I think this mag forget what 'METAL' Term means long time ago.
Moonspell’s “Hermitage” deserves to be on every end of year list imo and it’s sad to see it get overlooked. I think it’s a stronger album than Hushed and Grim.

Back