Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Kevin Shirleys notebook. Seems Senjutsu was once titled The Great Wall.
Bruce said that the song is about defending a wall, so The Great Wall is not a surprise.
This actually contains more fun facts that we can imply:

a) Hell On Earth was probably the first song recorded for the album, altough its the last one on the record
b) TWOTW was the last one to be recorded, altough was the first one to be unveiled.
c) TWOTW has 5:50, this may mean the the acoustic intro was not originally part of the song
Also:

d) ''Darkest Hour'' is shorter.
e) Adrian was to have a solo on ''Stratego''.
f) DOFP solo is from the demo.

Going to get my vinyl-editions (norm black, red, but silver is coming later) and deluxe book today. So looking forwards to the first listening session.
Great just great..I love these precious moments..I will try to write some little review and thoughts later.

But I just can't believe how they messed the booklets, especially thinking how we preordered the FC exclusive box and so this happens again (like it did with NOTD). Rod must be pissed again, remember as he promised this wouldn't be happening again (when the large problems with the NOTD orders were addressed). Unfuckinbeliable! I knew that with international shipping it would take days to receive the 400€ FC boxset but still..

So whats Senjutsu like??? Is it Shit? Is it their Darkest Hour? Should Iron Maiden jump into the The Time Machine and get Lost in a Lost World and bring in the Holograms of themselves on stage from the Days of Future Past like ABBA gunna do?

We want Hell on Earth! Lets reveal The Parchment! :rocker:

Did that way of saying The Parchment..like not exactly correct of pronouncing, come from some review or something?
I remember someone mentioning about this thing before..

The awkward moment when the cover has a better mix/production value than the original. HOW HARD CAN IT BE?????

The awkward moment when the cover has a better mix/production value than the original. HOW HARD CAN IT BE?????

Sorry - I don't like it. I just finished listening to Stratego on YT and then I clicked on your link. I have the impression that I am listening to a song that is being played by a neighbor behind the wall. Played in a tin can.

Sorry - I don't like it. I just finished listening to Stratego on YT and then I clicked on your link. I have the impression that I am listening to a song that is being played by a neighbor behind the wall. Played in a tin can.
I actually listened to them back to back. Let me rephrase it then... I LIKE THE COVER SOUND MORE. :)

I actually listened to them back to back. Let me rephrase it then... I LIKE THE COVER SOUND MORE. :)
The best thing about music is that everyone feels it differently. This variety is needed. After listening to the album more than 10 times - I have no objection to the sound of the album, everything for me is much clearer than on BoS.

The best thing about music is that everyone feels it differently. This variety is needed. After listening to the album more than 10 times - I have no objection to the sound of the album, everything for me is much clearer than on BoS.
Yep it is much cleaner than BOS. I feel it is a bit dry though. It lacks the warmth of some of the older albums, not necessarily the Golden era ones!

My wife, who listens to Pink and Sinatra on a daily basis, liked this album very much. Much more so than the 80s albums. The feeling of a person who is not a super-hyper fan like us is simple:
- unlike the first albums, the songs have more space to breathe and build atmosphere.
- Time Machine, Death of the Celts, The Parchment, Hell on Earth, Lost in a Lost World, and Writing on the Wall are now on "The Store Wandering Compilation" on her phone.
- whoever wrote the beginning of "Hell on Earth" had to lose the bet and squeeze as many melodies as possible there

Polished sound, absolutely!

But the snare is a little too in your face, it just needs putting back a little bit.

Talented band too! No doubt! But in my mind a cover of a song should be a band's interpretation of the material - this is just straight up another band recording the same song, right down to the keyboards. It makes it sounds like a karaoke performance.

Disturbed's Sound of Silence or Land of Confusion, Cradle of Filth's Devil Woman or Hallowed be thy Name, Maiden's My Generation, Marilyn Manson's Sweet Dreams or Tainted Love.

They're all metal covers which take a song by another artist (even metal to metal in the case of Cradle) and are covered properly - the same material, but in the band's own style.

That's what a cover song should be in my mind, not simply a recreation of the source material more or less as is.

Polished sound, absolutely!

But the snare is a little too in your face, it just needs putting back a little bit.

Talented band too! No doubt! But in my mind a cover of a song should be a band's interpretation of the material - this is just straight up another band recording the same song, right down to the keyboards. It makes it sounds like a karaoke performance.

Disturbed's Sound of Silence or Land of Confusion, Cradle of Filth's Devil Woman or Hallowed be thy Name, Maiden's My Generation, Marilyn Manson's Sweet Dreams or Tainted Love.

They're all metal covers which take a song by another artist (even metal to metal in the case of Cradle) and are covered properly - the same material, but in the band's own style.

That's what a cover song should be in my mind, not simply a recreation of the source material more or less as is.
I see where you come from. I particularly like the extra bits in the background. Tiny guitar licks that make the song sound fuller and less stiff.

Last edited:
Back