Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

It seems that the only real comlaint of the reviewer is the length of the last two songs. That sounds about right. I was expecting that from Steve. Let's wait and see. All is cool.

Last edited:
It seems that the only real comlaint of the reviewer is the length of the last two songs. That sounds about right. I was expecting that form Steve. Let's wait and see. All is cool.
Yeah, it's actually a positive review, and seemingly there are a couple of faster tracks on the album to counterbalance Steve's "epicness" somewhat. So far, mostly positive reviews, this one might not have mentioned the sound, but we know it has improved too, so I expect something definitely better than BOS, which was good in my book.

But we already heard TWOTW. We do know how the album sounds!!!
That's true. But I think some of the other songs will have a better/more powerful sound of the drums and more prominent riff (even with the ''live feel'') than TWOTW. Actually, in one of the reviews these things were mentioned.

The production is better than TBOS - more clear (especially the sound of the guitars).

One song was very similar to Hooks in You, deff written by Smith, I assumed it might be Days of Future Past, since song snippets did not have song names (as the start of shadows of the walley reminds of wasted years, so does this song of hooks in you)
Adrian said (in the video from yesterday) that DOFP has a modern sounding. I'm not sure I will call ''Hooks In You'' (or its riff) modern.

Now, for the new album... Not much to anticipate... in my opinion the reunion albums suffer from 5 things:
1) Bruce's voice, which sounds strained and at times out of key. Why he has to prove himself all the time is a mystery to me. He sounds a lot better on his solo albums.
2) The productions. Dry and annoying (to my ears). They release a live album after a studio one, why do they want to sound live in studio?
3) Nicko's playing. It seems he just plays just for the sake of it. The same fills, no imagination and bad sounding kit.
4) Janick's sound. Yes, we already know it from the 90s but the reunion albums suffer a lot from that muddy almost like a super cheap guitar sound.
5) Steve's contribution. His stubbornness to create prog numbers is beyond me. First of all, they are not proggy, they are just long songs. Good ideas that have potential to be great songs but ruined in the process.
At last. Voice of reason :D
1) I wholeheartedly agree.
2) +100%
3) I noticed it too. Even on BNW I felt that with drum sound is something wrong.
4) I agree
5) +200% Steve, longer doesn't mean any better :ninja:
And after all, Maiden still is my favorite band. :applause:
Sometimes it's little bit frustrating. So to speak.
You can hate me for this, but Bruce's AOB and TCW is Maiden's albums that was never made.

Last edited:
*sad @Magnus noises*

But don't despair - maybe #18 will be different.
I fully expect that to be a triple album with a half hour long epic cowritten by Nicko and Dave. Probably releasing exclusively in the LOTB video game sometime this year to build hype for #19.

Just recently re-watched the History series videos, and in Part 3, when Adrian is talking about the sound on SIT, being more lush and all kinds of effects on it, when he mentions a "bit more reverb" on it, he really sounds and looks ironic LOL

From 8m30s:

This has been an ongoing "war" within the band a I think, culminates in Senjutsu apparently in modern Maiden history.

Interesting review. The part that stood out to me was the ending reaffirmation that if you like reunion maiden you'll still like it and if you don't you still won't. I like it so more of the same is a good thing.
That reunion era started more than 20 years ago. I think it is way past time for these voices of reason to search for another band and leave the rest of us alone

That reunion era started more than 20 years ago. I think it is way past time for these voices of reason to search for another band and leave the rest of us alone
Well the review has thankfully made it extra clear so people can get their complaints in nice and early.:p

We got three. You can check the translated one (from German) in this thread. However I think the only think we can take from these reviews is the description of the songs. The rest is more or less known if you have been following Maiden after the reunion

Back