Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I think Sign of the Cross > Greater Good of Good. Both fantastic Harris tunes with similar atmosphere, but SOTC wins out for me.

I don't think Harris is losing his touch, but I agree that Wild Wind and TRATB both have some parts that could have been tightened, shortened or removed. Wild Wind is absolutely fantastic until the last part ("They make a tea and sit there waiting...") when the words are nice but the music plodding and Bruce kinda just talks over it. TRATB verse melody everyone knows about - I like it but Bruce cannot lock into the music, no matter how much he tries.

BUT I'm massively excited that this is the biggest 'solo' Harris contribution since the 90s!!!

I know people wank themselves silly over Bruce and/or Adrian, but I though Empire of Clouds was boring as hell and both Death or Glory and Speed of Light very average. When I listen to Maiden I actually want the Harris sound and feel, not Bruce and H trying to mimic it.
The part you pointed out as not-great in WTWWB is my favorite part lol

^ This. Steve always delivers. The repeated parts in his songs are almost always great imo.

What is spectacular for you? The song to be an instant classic?

TWOTW has some amazing and unique things in it - the intro, the triple-lead guitar harmonies (I wish they were longer) and Adrian's solo.

Well, Maiden can do the best metal/rock songs IMO. This a solid track with some cool details, don't get me wrong. I thought e.g that Solar fire/ Taking my chances from the SK project was spectacular(apart from the lyrics). I think it is a bit unfortunate that H can't use his drop D riffs in all their glory(in Maiden that is). Both his voice as that Sikth guy's can't bring anything new IMO. Imagine if he could have Bruce sing these songs. I guess it is obvious I love the Bruce solo material they did together.

Last edited:
If you're hoping that won't happen, you're out of luck - he's been doing it ever since Prowler, and I don't think he's going to stop. He has done it well, though, such as in the pre-chorus of The Book of Souls.
Well if you like it then all the power to you mate. Damn, the Prowler such a powerful track!!

If you don't like For the greater good, then i am afraid you will probably not like this album.For most of us that song is an absolute killer tune.

It is a matter of taste really. I am not fixated on specific details like repetitive choruses to the point where i don't enjoy the song overall.
In all the post-reunion albums there are great song parts, nice melodies and some really incredible solos. So it is not that I do not like the albums. I mean even if IMO Avalon is way too long and repetitive...how can one not like the mid instrumental/solo section? Same goes for Starblind. The guitar licks are brilliant...the song falls apart after some point with all the neverending lyrics.

So what was the last decent Harris song for you?

Well, I am afraid that the last of Steve's songs I really enjoyed were the ones he did on FOTD. I think his writing was more immediate and to the point back then. After that point his songs have some brilliant parts but as complete songs seem to lack something.

Last edited:
15 years later I still skip the track, when Bruce sounds like a broken record, going through the choruses again and again and again!!! :)
Agreed, and a shame really as the instrumental bit is cooking.
TRATB feels disjointed to me.
However, Wild Wind is one of my Harris favorites. Big emotional parts.

Reactions: Gk1
The part you pointed out as not-great in WTWWB is my favorite part lol
it's all opinions innit! I love the intro and main verses and solos and melodies to WTWWB.... then around the 7 minute mark the tune just drops off into plodding until the ending, which livens it up. Just my opinion, delighted you like it!

Well, just to make a long story short, I think Steve is a genious. His songs used to amaze me from start to finish. Lately this does not happen but there are always some great parts in his songs. I hope this is still the case. I agree with @eddie666 regarding TRATB but even that song has some amazing solos and melodies.

it's all opinions innit! I love the intro and main verses and solos and melodies to WTWWB.... then around the 7 minute mark the tune just drops off into plodding until the ending, which livens it up. Just my opinion, delighted you like it!
And that 3+ minute intro is getting on my nerves!!! Great mid section though!

Well, I am afraid that the last of Steve's song I really enjoyed is his work on FOTD. I think his writing was more immediate and to the point back then. After that point his songs have some brilliant parts but as complete songs seem to lack something.

I mainly agree with you, with the exceptions of Clansman & FTGGOG which I consider two of the greats.
Sign of The Cross, Wild Wind, Blood Brother & Fortunes of War are good songs too, but not of this magnitude.

Reactions: Gk1
Well, I am afraid that the last of Steve's song I really enjoyed is his work on FOTD. I think his writing was more immediate and to the point back then. After that point his songs have some brilliant parts but as complete songs seem to lack something.
Well, the man went from being 35 years old to middle age. Indeed, he and the band hit middle age during the Blaze era and that was surely an influence in some of the material losing immediacy. I for one don't mind because I'd much rather the Maiden studio sound grows old gracefully with them (a bit like Deep Purple's later albums, relative to their early sound). Fans will complain it lacks immediacy or that it doesn't sound like Judas Priest's Firepower album. To them I say GOOD!, i'm glad Maiden knew when to stop mimicking their youth.

Steve wrote Blood Brothers, Sign of a cross, Clansman, For the greater good, Wild wind blows and co-wrote many great songs after the FOTD album. So I really don't know what to say other than to tell you that your expectations are really high. This upcoming album has 7 songs by Harris and so if your last reference point for "good Steve music" is FOTD, then I am definitely worried for you.

Well, the man went from being 35 years old to middle age. Indeed, he and the band hit middle age during the Blaze era and that was surely an influence in some of the material losing immediacy. I for one don't mind because I'd much rather the Maiden studio sound grows old gracefully with them (a bit like Deep Purple's later albums, relative to their early sound). Fans will complain it lacks immediacy or that it doesn't sound like Judas Priest's Firepower album. To them I say GOOD!, i'm glad Maiden knew when to stop mimicking their youth.
Well, I agree with you. And I really respect them for doing what they want to do, even if this is not going to the old recipe of song writing.

Steve wrote Blood Brothers, Sign of a cross, Clansman, For the greater good, Wild wind blows and co-wrote many great songs after the FOTD album. So I really don't know what to say other than to tell you that your expectations are really high. This upcoming album has 7 songs by Harris and so if your last reference point for "good Steve music" is FOTD, then I am definitely worried for you.

I am a bit worried too mate. I kind of know that most probably his songs would be boring (for me) after some point......but I kind of also know that there would have some really great parts!! I learned to live with that and thus I am always excited to listen to some new Maiden music.

Last edited:
Looking at TBOS which was released 4th September, the first review I can find is the August issue of Metal Hammer (a monthly magazine) with their review online appearing 18th August.

Most other reviews start appearing from 31st August onwards.

So I expect again that the August MH might be our first proper review.
Yeah it will be - I listen to the Metal Hammer UK podcast and the host Merlin (great name) said there would be a big feature on Maiden in the August issue.

I am a bit worried to mate. I kind of know that most probably hsi songs would be boring after some point......but I kind fo also know that there would have some really great parts!! I learned to live with that and thus I am always excited to listen to some new Maiden music.
My two cents: You know how when you watch a sitcom for too long or spend too much time with a friend sometimes you tend to notice annoying bits/patterns that wasn't initially visible? I think too much Maiden can also do that. Perhaps you listened to the epics way too much and it is time to give Maiden a break until september 3rd so that you come back with fresh ears. :)

My two cents: You know how when you watch a sitcom for too long or spend too much time with a friend sometimes you tend to notice annoying bits/patterns that wasn't initially visible? I think too much Maiden can also do that. Perhaps you listened to the epics way too much and it is time to give Maiden a break until september 3rd so that you come back with fresh ears. :)
Ahahahaha, As a matter of (life and death) fact I am spinning the last albums latery after a couple of years. I definitely need to give TWOTW a break, I really enjoy the intro though. Pure brilliance IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcv
Well said. I for one am really enjoying the maturing of the Maiden sound. I'm mid 40s myself and been a fan since 10 years old. But I don't want them to look back and try and recapture something. Their 80s albums were the sound and temperament of youth...as they should have been. What they make now is the sound of maturity and reflection. All I want from Maiden is to make the music they feel like making to the best of their ability. And that's what they are doing. Love it, and mad excited for Semjutsu. Also, when I put on some Maiden now, it's 90% reunion era. So rich and diverse. The 80s were amazing and made them. But I've heard them so often, that my diet now is basically post 2000

Back