Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I thought DOD was universally considered the worst of the reunion albums by quite a margin.
Some fillers in the album, but we also have DoD and Paschendale, which, in my opinion, are greater than any song in AMOLAD and TFF. That's basically the reason why I rank DoD above AMOLAD and TFF.

My god, you people probably don't have a laugh at anything in your lives. Bruce was teasing you, exactly you, with the bananas because people descended into nerd rage over the monkey line. And I just don't understand what's so bad about it in the first place
I was laughing when I wrote it...I wasn't offended by it....No nerd rage from my side... I think you overreacted...

Dod is my favorite reunion album by far. The cover art is weird, and does appear… unfinished? I suppose….But I find it interesting looking. The songs are top notch Maiden in my opinion. Paschendale , the title track and face in the sand are three of my top 10 reunion songs. Rainmaker and montsegur are vintage maiden , would have fit right in on piece of mind/ the classic era. The others are all good to me as well. No filler at all in my opinion.
The album gets a bad rap for sure. DOd is currently the # 5 all time album on my list of Maiden.
Have a sneaky suspicion Senjutsu will be epic, and give the mighty ‘ Dance’a run for the money!

Which of my 5 kids I love the most with a 6th on the way? I don't know man.

I like all of them. The Final Frontier was my favourite for a long time.

In the end, I'm just happy we are here with our favourite band releasing a record still able to compete with their best ones, excited as hell, even though they are late career. How many other classic bands is that true with? How many other bands could make people this excited with new material? For most, you just hope they don't embarass themselves but few are able to add something potentially classic to their already established catalogue.

I didn't immediately love The Book of Souls when it came out. I was frustrated with it. How it felt, how it was played - it truly isn't polished. But today I love a few songs on it and play it the most of all. Wouldn't really change anything on it. Might be the same for Senjutsu, but I can't wait to hear it no matter what.

Which of my 5 kids I love the most with a 6th on the way? I don't know man.

I like all of them. The Final Frontier was my favourite for a long time.

In the end, I'm just happy we are here with our favourite band releasing a record still able to compete with their best ones, excited as hell, even though they are late career. How many other classic bands is that true with? How many other bands could make people this excited with new material? For most, you just hope they don't embarass themselves but few are able to add something potentially classic to their already established catalogue.

I didn't immediately love The Book of Souls when it came out. I was frustrated with it. How it felt, how it was played - it truly isn't polished. But today I love a few songs on it and play it the most of all. Wouldn't really change anything on it. Might be the same for Senjutsu, but I can't wait to hear it no matter what.
If I recall the Kerrang interview correctly it mentioned some blues and folk elements? as well as others?

I do admire how Maiden like to try something different with each release and not just sit back on their laurels. I love TWOTW and I have a feeling Senjutsu is going to wow us. At least those of us who aren't stuck in the 80's......:ninja:

The hype I have is actually quite a bit more than it was for TBOS. Time is literally going by slower than normal for me. It feels like it's been about 9 days since Monday.
I think I feel the same, but I'm waiting on two albums that day!

I put a lot of it down to the longer wait and the Feast build up. Feels like there's been more preamble this time round.

this “reunion album ranking” has gotten me interested in listening to each album again to accurately (for me), rank them.
without actually putting them in order…
Brave New World…very solid and consistent. Wicker Man and Blood Blood Brothers are and should be setlist favorites. Ghost of the Navigator is just an awesome tune. Nomad, to me, is underrated.
Dance of Death…perhaps the greatest song of the new era is Paschendale, it’s just a great representation of the subject matter to which it refers. Dance of Death is another really good tune. Montsegur is underrated. Rainmaker is another song just that grows on you.
A Matter of Life and Death…probably the most consistent of the post 2000 albums. For the Greater Good of God, with the central interlude, is classic. Happy they played it again on the Legacy tour. And The Legacy song itself is underrated. Longest Day builds into a good tune and is reflective of D-Day invasion.
And then the song Brighter than a Thousand Suns…really like the guitar work here.
Final Frontier…different but still well done.
Title track is a straightforward rocker. But my two faves have to be The Talisman and When the Wild Wind Blows. Both are new era epics.
Great riffs on Starblind. Coming Home also a underrated “ballad”.
Book of Souls…If Eternity Should Fail is a great set opener, period. Empire of the Clouds is approaching a masterpiece of lyrics and music. The title track is just classic Maiden.
Red and the Black again has great guitar work.

Back