Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Just a quick one to say - Maiden have never been, and will never be, a nostalgia act.

When they're doing their "classics" tours, they let people know it's exactly that.

When they tour a new album, which they do for every album, they let people know exactly that too.

If you're one of these stuck in the past balding biker types who only wants to hear Di'anno era stuff, tough shit! It was forty years ago! Listen to Live at the Rainbow or Maiden Japan and enjoy the shit out of it, like we all do.

But when a tour comes around and it's naked after the album, with the art work, posters and everything named after the album, what do you expect?

Life is now, it's not decades ago. Live in this moment, enjoy these songs and performances.

Attachments

• Standing ovation.gif
    Standing ovation.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
I like his work, but I think Riggs was far above and beyond in terms of imagination and ambition.
wilkinson (so far) has been comparatively conservative in both of those respects.
Yea there's no denying Riggs was instrumental (pun intended) in building the band image, and super imaginative etc, however in the 90s onwards he got sidetracked by digital work and it kind of ruined him, just take a look at his stuff on his website. Its a different scenario for Wilkinson, the band and their image are long well established....he can't really do anything he wants. He has to use the scaffold that has been developed over many years and extend it for today. Whereas Wilkinson was early Riggs for Marillion and now Fish also.

But when if a tour comes around and it's naked after the album, with the art work, posters and everything named after the album
That was aeons, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking long ago. I believe that when it happens again, not before.

TFF doesn’t make sense for an epic. Running time should’t be the only metric, or Angel and the Gambler counts as an epic too.
good point. Epic to me isn't really anything to do with over a certain run time. They usually are long, but are adventurous in their composition...they take you to different (musical) locations, feel like a larger story, and have a sense of scale (like a movie). An example I would use is ATG compared to FTGGOG. Both great tunes, but ATG is 1 minute shorter the FTGGOG and yet feels much more epic and cinematic to me. FTGGOG is a more conventional structure, just extended with basically 2 choruses etc.

Steve says "We chose to record at Guillaume Tell Studio in France again as the place has such a relaxed vibe. The setup there is perfect for our needs; the building used to be a cinema and has a really high ceiling so there’s a great acoustic sound. We recorded this album in the same way we did The Book Of Souls in that we’d write a song, rehearse it and then put it down together straight away while it was all fresh in our minds. There’s some very complex songs on this album which took a lot of hard work to get them exactly as we wanted them to sound, so the process was at times very challenging, but Kevin is great at capturing the essence of the band and I think it was worth the effort! I’m very proud of the result and can’t wait for fans to hear it."
Since they recorded Senjutsu the same way they did TBOS, I think the album will be great (like TBOS).

Can anyone answer me about this concept of the album? from where it is affected? We do not know many good things until it is released. But in a few words can someone tell me?

Can anyone answer me about this concept of the album? from where it is affected? We do not know many good things until it is released. But in a few words can someone tell me?
Well Bruce said it is definitely not a concept album. I think the visual concept-samurai Eddie, just comes from Steve's song, Senjutsu. Interpreted in a few ways....tactics...strategy....to defeat your enemy in battle, kind of Art of War

Amazon UK completely sold out of all Senjutsu versions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210722-120828_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-120828_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210722-120843_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-120843_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210722-120906_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-120906_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210722-120920_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-120920_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 28
Well Bruce said it is definitely not a concept album. I think the visual concept-samurai Eddie, just comes from Steve's song, Senjutsu. Interpreted in a few ways....tactics...strategy....to defeat your enemy in battle, kind of Art of War
You seem very instructive to me, both wise and useful! This piece written by Harris! we will learn more from the lyrics. he can also talk about samurai culture. How they thought and how they "defeated" their enemy. The words of Harris and Maiden are always full of wisdom! Thank you very much! I am waiting for its release and I will publish any questions I have! You know I do not have a specific education. I just have time and I'm looking. My stimulus was given by Maiden!

I'm still a bit confused about TWOTW bluray - will it contain 5.1 mix of an album?
Yes, it looks like. Link

Iron Maiden
Senjutsu (Super Deluxe Box) (Limited) (CD2+BR) (2021)​

Format: CD2 - Glasba

Code: 190295015923

CD1
  1. Senjutsu
  2. Stratego
  3. The Writing On The Wall
  4. Lost In A Lost World
  5. Days Of Future Past
  6. The Time Machine
  7. Darkest Hour
CD2
  1. Death Of The Celts
  2. The Parchment
  3. Hell On Earth
BR
  1. Senjutsu
  2. Stratego
  4. Lost In A Lost World
  5. Days Of Future Past
  6. The Time Machine
  7. Darkest Hour
  8. Death Of The Celts
  9. The Parchment
  10. Hell On Earth

So wait now, whats on the blu ray? Earlier I heard only the video for Writing, and the making of it and som Bruce talk. Is the album now also on the blu ray?

Yes, it looks like. Link
BR
  1. Senjutsu
  2. Stratego
  4. Lost In A Lost World
  5. Days Of Future Past
  6. The Time Machine
  7. Darkest Hour
  8. Death Of The Celts
  9. The Parchment
  10. Hell On Earth
I don't think that's correct. According to most retailers and the Maiden website, the blu-ray is the WOTW video and the making-of the video.

1626955788344.png

What we know and what I guess:
1. Senjutsu - some men will defend a wall at all costs. (Storytelling)
2. Stratego - i guess, lyrically it will be about tactics to win. (Not storytelling)
3. The Writing On The Wall - reflections about today's world but written not boring and not depressing. (Somewhere in between)
4. Lost In A Lost World - it can be story about being lost in ancient world, which I would prefer, or social criticism.
5. Days Of Future Past - I guess, in some ways it will be along the lines of Speed of Light. (More on storytelling's side)
6. The Time Machine - most certain storytelling type of a song
7. Darkest Hour - about Churchill's rise. Somewhat introspective maybe?
8. Death Of The Celts - I am sure it will be more on the storytelling's side. I have high hopes for this song.
9. The Parchment - about some mystic Parchment. Storytelling.
10. Hell On Earth - Social criticism
Pretty accurate prediction imo.
I feared something "too cartoonish and videogamish" might have come along, after the videoclip came out...
I knew that the album cover will be way better (in terms of the drawing and not only) than the cover of the single and Samurai Eddie from the videoclip.

Would really appreciate it if someone posts the price of the FC box when it comes available. If the price difference isn’t that much, I’d be curious. I can see the complaints over the price but honestly it’s exactly what I expected. I don’t think it’s awful for what you’re getting, but no documentary about the album is a bit of a bummer.

One more thing about them playing the album live. Maiden can’t win with the play classics fans on this one. People complained on the TBOS tour too and every tour where they play new music (there are even some archived web pages out there complaining about Maiden doing too much BNW material on that tour. With that in mind, they might as well go all out and play the entire album if they want to do that.
They can win. Play six tunes from the new album. Sure some will grumble, but so what. Then play ten classics and maybe one or two surprises and everyone is happy.

Playing a full new eighty minute album live is a mistake.

I expect 5 or 6 songs (as usual) to be played live from the new album.

The songs are long and some of them will fill a big part of the setlist.
Exactly. That's great.

Think of the excellent BNW and DOD tours.

The new songs fit so well with the older ones and are well received.

Open with new song, play another new one. Short classic like trooper. Then something unexpected but still quite popular(I'd kill for Futureal). More from the new album etc. So on until the end when they play NOTB, Hallowed etc

Back