Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

With Iron Maiden cds, i am not at all sensitive to pricing. I mean they put an album out every 5-6 years and so in that context, a 100 bucks for it doesn't seem too expensive.

I’m surprised at the lack of content on the blu ray. Gentle Giant (and other prog bands) have been putting out blu ray discs with 5.1 mixes and the likes.

I remember for AMOLAD, certain online stores had 30 sec samples to all the tracks. I remember because i played the intro riff of These Colors Don't run a million times, much to the annoyance of my wife (gf back then). Wonder if any will have that option this time.

Last edited:
I remember for AMOLAD, certain online stores had 30 sec samples to all the tracks. I remember because i played the intro riff of These Colors Don't run a million times, much to the annoyance of my wife (gf back then). Wonder if any will have that option this time.
Sounds like a fun, cool idea. Hence, it probably won't happen in 2021.

Someone put out this edit earlier. I don't mind the current minimalist approach that they have to the backgrounds since The Book of Souls, but the background games and staring myself blind on them is a factor of me having fallen in love with the art related to Iron Maiden in the first place.
View attachment 15968
Very well done it has to be said. I still prefer the plain bg and portrait approach. It's new and a cool way ahead. But in terms of someone's edits to an album cover, this is one of the best.

Their website says:

Blu-ray digipak of The Writing On The Wall including making of, special notes from Bruce Dickinson and a 20-page booklet

It's not just the music video!
That's still pretty light for a whole Blu-ray. They could've easily done a multichannel mix of the album as bonus content or footage from the studio or something, but instead they just put the music video on there and a making of feature of it. The disc said it's DTS-HD MA, but there's no reason to expect the mix to be multichannel either since AFAIK you can do DTS with two channels just fine. Either that, or they mixed the sound effects from the video away from the stereo channels. In any case, it's a pretty bad deal considering how much the deluxe edition costs. At that price point, I'm pretty sure they could've justified the added expense of a second mix or filming some of the recording process quite easily.

That's still pretty light for a whole Blu-ray. They could've easily done a multichannel mix of the album as bonus content or footage from the studio or something, but instead they just put the music video on there and a making of feature of it. The disc said it's DTS-HD MA, but there's no reason to expect the mix to be multichannel either since AFAIK you can do DTS with two channels just fine. Either that, or they mixed the sound effects from the video away from the stereo channels. In any case, it's a pretty bad deal considering how much the deluxe edition costs. At that price point, I'm pretty sure they could've justified the added expense of a second mix or filming some of the recording process quite easily.
I think it's quite lame saying "the band could have easily done this and this and this if they are charging that price", since the end consumer has no idea about the cost of these things and how everything came together. Rather, it's probably fair to say they could have charged less for the package they are in fact offering... if even that.

The high vinyl prices may have something to do with the shortage of pressing plant facilities at the moment. This could have added to the delay in release also.
I bought the red vinyl from EMP with free postage. The official site, with additional postage was a little bit cheaper but the deal was already done. Will get the cd book as well.

Haven’t posted in here yet, but I really am hyped as fuck. When I first saw the tracklist I thought it looked like something a fan would have come up with, but at the same time, I’m sure it would’ve been the case for all their albums before too. Once we hear it it’ll probably settle in better.

The album art is amazing. The Eddie on a black background concept works even better here than on TBOS, especially when off set by the red text. And this incarnation of Eddie looks like a BEAST! So cool and I’m getting the vinyl for maximum art value (although that red vinyl I’m eyeing is at a hellish price, Christ).

If “The Writing on the Wall” is representative of the whole album then this will be amazing. TWOTW started off as a solid and fun but standard Maiden track when I first heard it. Now I’m thinking it’s damn near perfect. The instrumental section and the chorus melody especially. If they bring this much fire to the other nine songs then I will literally cry.

The other nine songs, by the way, are highly interested. I’m guessing that “Senjutsu” will be along the lines of IESF as an opener. Having seen some of the lyrics on the vinyl sleeve promo image, I’m going to guess that “Stratego” will have some serious groove to it. “Lost in a Lost World” sounds like a British Lion type song but recorded in a Maiden style. “Days of Future Past” could be the fastest song on the record. And the final song on Disc 1, “The Time Machine” — man. I can’t wait to hear how Jan and ‘Arry retell the novel (or create their own story!) in those seven minutes. Very excited for this one.

And on Disc Two we start with “Darkest Hour”, which probably has to do with Britain in WWII but could also be something along the lines of “Hallowed Be Thy Name” only if it were written by H and Bruce. And then the final three tracks, all together clocking in at well over thirty minutes, are monster epics solely by Steve. Goddamn, he’s coming fully loaded this time. I did a double take when I first saw the time stamps and writing credits. “Death of the Celts” for reason makes me think of soccer / football. Anglo-Saxon removal of the Celts sounds like a rally interesting song topic though. “The Parchment” I’m guessing will be like SOTC Pt. 2, which could explain what Steve meant by some tracks being rather complex. And closing it out with “Hell on Earth” — if this is the last Maiden album we’ll get, could that be something like a bookend to the Maiden history, a final epic in the vein of “And I’ll make [city name] fucking burn!” or “Iron Maiden’s gonna get you no matter how far!” Or maybe it’ll be about how fucked up the world is. Either way it sounds great.

Really pumped for this and I cannot wait to hear the finished product. Everything about this sounds killer. Having been spinning TBOS again of late I gotta say, if this is anywhere near as good as that album was, then we’re in for a treat. Up the fucking irons man.

Can’t seem to get a direct link, but scroll down to when you see it.
This is the link to the clip: https://www.tv4.se/klipp/va/1335157...e=tv4.se&utm_medium=shared_link&utm_campaign=

The segment is not just discussing Maiden. The guy is deeply rooted in pop culture and possesses enough sub cultural capital to being able to switch between classic heavy metal to art installations that combine death metal and women screaming when giving birth to synthwave. Do what you want with it.

Reactions: Oca
Their website says:

Blu-ray digipak of The Writing On The Wall including making of, special notes from Bruce Dickinson and a 20-page booklet

It's not just the music video!

Yeah, that's the only bonus content in the box I'm kinda interested in, and that's hardly worth 100€. Give it a year or two and the Blu-ray bonus features will have a permanent residence on YouTube anyway.

And closing it out with “Hell on Earth” — if this is the last Maiden album we’ll get, could that be something like a bookend to the Maiden history, a final epic in the vein of “And I’ll make [city name] fucking burn!” or “Iron Maiden’s gonna get you no matter how far!” Or maybe it’ll be about how fucked up the world is. Either way it sounds great.
Going by what I can make of the lyrics, the song appears to be about that last topic you mentioned.

Yeah, that's the only bonus content in the box I'm kinda interested in, and that's hardly worth 100€. Give it a year or two and the Blu-ray bonus features will have a permanent residence on YouTube anyway.
I was wanting the box set until I saw its lack of contents. The actual box is the only item of interest for me so I'll skip it.

Decided to just get the regular CD.

My all-time favourite bands are Maiden, Lizzy and Priest.

Last year, I discovered Dead Lord from Sweden, who remind me a lot about Lizzy. Some say they are a rip-off, but they are all fools. Ha ha. :bigsmile:

Saw Dead Lord live back when they release their first album Goodbye Repentance (2013). GREAT band live then. Since it's a bit outside of my usual style, I haven't kept up though except for listening to the singles from the second one.

Back