Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

How good is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Satellite 15....The Final Frontier

Prowler_108 said:
I'm especially glad they stopped making Wicker Man clones as the openers, that was getting extremely old.  One of my favorites off the album.  :shred:

Wow, never heard an opener that sounded wicker man-y to me.  You think different world and wildest dreams sound like the wicker man?

... He knocks you to your feet ... Your tongue has frozen ... Your time will come ...

Yeah ... uplifting. Riiiiiiiight.

:p

Ok, there are so many topics on this one because of the video and whatnot so while I've noticed there's some kind of obscure poll attached to this one, since its in The Final Frontier section I will put my impressions here instead of elsewhere.

I believe somebody somewhere said that they'd wish Satellite 15 and The Final Frontier were two separate songs. At this point I kind of concur with that statement, simply because the second part of the song is much easier to listen to and totally enjoyable without the intro. Which is what I suppose we have the 'single' version for (as in, the video). But I also have to add that the strength of The Final Frontier probably lies in Satellite 15 preceding it. Since it is so bizarre and enharmonic, the second part comes as a welcome sing-along for our ears.

This is not to say that Satellite 15 is bad. Nope, it is what it is, an atmospheric and in some ways, experimental intro to a New Maiden album. And yes, this is a New Maiden we get to hear on this album, there is no doubt about that. There are quite a few things about it that I like.

First of all, that it is so vastly different from any intro Maiden have ever attempted before. It sounds a little bit like something Bruce would have put on his Balls to Picasso album. But mostly it just sounds...different. Which is a strength as I see it. It really sets the tone of the album...any hardened Maiden listener will know from the get-go that whatever expectations existed before, you might as well throw them out of the window now, cos Maiden is doing the unexpected here.

Another thing I like is that while it is mostly enharmonic and seems scattered and chaotic, it still fits perfectly with the lyrics: this guy in space is on a mission that has gone terribly wrong and all is chaos and uncertainty around. So, as in so many songs before, it is singularly atmospheric.

The second part of the song, The Final Frontier, I don't actually have that much to say about. It is perhaps the most 'classic Maiden' song on the whole album. It has a clear recognizable chorus, the lyrics are perhaps the weakest of the lot (as in, repetitive), and it has easy sing-along melodies. But from the 5 or so listens I've given it, I like it.

I absolutely love that really strange intro, Satellite 15. It's different from usual Maiden, but amazing in it's own unique way. I really love that bass opening at the beginning of the track, along with that strange guitar, as well. As for The Final Frontier track as a whole, I would consider it the "rocker" of the album.

I really think the intro could have gone from pretty cool to totally awesome had they just started with the chord and Bruce's vocals.  Eliminate the intro's intro (ha) and it's an AWESOME 2 minute scene setter.

That being said, I really dig Satellite 15.  Final Frontier the song almost seems too basic to follow such an odd intro.

This song has really grown on me. When i watched the video i was underwhelmed but after repeat listens i have to say that i'm crazy for this little rocker !!! :edmetal:

There's something about this song that makes me adore it, i think it's the magic melodies by Smith. The chorus is ace, i can't stop listening to the repeat chorus in the end and this is the first time that i am thankfull that Maiden put a repeat chorus in a song. I also ,unlike other people, enjoy the intro and the musical difference it has with the main song. In my TFF review i gave this an 8 but it is seriously turning into a 10 . It is a fantastic start to the album.

johnglen said:
This song has really grown on me. When i watched the video i was underwhelmed but after repeat listens i have to say that i'm crazy for this little rocker !!! :edmetal:

There's something about this song that makes me adore it, i think it's the magic melodies by Smith. The chorus is ace, i can't stop listening to the repeat chorus in the end and this is the first time that i am thankfull that Maiden put a repeat chorus in a song. I also ,unlike other people, enjoy the intro and the musical difference it has with the main song. In my TFF review i gave this an 8 but it is seriously turning into a 10 . It is a fantastic start to the album.

For me it's how the guitars drop out during the first half of the verses and leave Bruce's vocals soaring on his own.  So epic.

I too am digging this song, but The Final Frontier part has to be their simplest most basic song ever.  There's really only the one riff going on with some killer vocal melodies layered over top.

Donner said:
I too am digging this song, but The Final Frontier part has to be their simplest most basic song ever.  There's really only the one riff going on with some killer vocal melodies layered over top.

It is very simplistic, but works so well in the context of the tune. 

p4warrior said:
It is very simplistic, but works so well in the context of the tune.  

It really does.  And I think the Satellite 15 intro juxtaposed with the simplicity of TFF (song) is perfect.  It would've been too laden with heft had that intro gone into an epic.  That it serves a meat and potatoes, in-fourth-gear type of a song is really the ideal contrast.

I love Sat 15 and view it as part of the complete song rather than an intro. It works brilliantly and I will never skip it to get to TFF. TFF by the way, will grow over time into a clasic album opener along the lines of Moonchild and The Wickerman. It is simple...but sometimes simple is king. Is that acoustic guitar in the mix at the beginning of TFF? Wow!!

It gives the track a bit of a melancholy feel and maybe it also pays some homage to the acoustic guitar in Bowies Space Oddity...lyrical theme very similar.

I feel that live the acoustic will be dropped.

The first part is amazing. Tribal feel and Sci-fi theme blend so awesomely together. Brilliant.

Back