Satellite 15 mix defect

What part of my post is hard to understand?

This is not an error. It's a deliberate effort by Smith to produce such an effect.

I noticed that too, immediately.

The loop / copy pasting of that drum track (however we’re going to call it) has in my ears also some crappy timing. It sounds pretty messy.

A:
I think the making of this drumtrack was an undeliberate error. No one makes errors on purpose, especially not perfectionists like Adrian.

B:
The mistake was deliberately untouched
Part 1:
However, even if Adrian is a perfectionist, he is not per se when making demos, so he probably heard it but decided to leave it like this. He realized that his demos were not literally used on albums before TFF. He must have thought his drumtrack would never be used when he recorded it.

Part 2:
Later, while making the album it was again deliberately untouched, to preserve the authenticy of the demo.

I hear it, but I am not that bothered by it, since I understand the origins of the recordings.

Oh my god...there is no loop copy pasting 'cause there are no loops. If he had a complete bar of MIDI information pasted on a wrong timecode, the complete song would go off-rhythm from that point.

i heard it and thought my disc was scratched. It bothers me alot. The song has a great buildup going and it stops with the drum defect. Wouldn't have happened with Nicko.

From the first time I hear it I thought it was something unique, some time of beat or something.
Now that you mention it, it stands out a bit more, but it does not feel like an error, that's for sure.
Whatever it is, I like it. Maybe because I'm not a drummer or whatever, but the drums don't feel that unreal for me.

Mega said:
From the first time I hear it I thought it was something unique, some time of beat or something.
Now that you mention it, it stands out a bit more, but it does not feel like an error, that's for sure.
Whatever it is, I like it. Maybe because I'm not a drummer or whatever, but the drums don't feel that unreal for me.

Maybe the issue is that I am a drummer, and I listen intently to drumming in every piece of music I hear.  Therefore, this bothers me a lot. Are the other people who are highly bothered by this drummers too?

snake plissken said:
Maybe it's time we filed this under, "who gives a shit?"

Well considering the number of people who said they give a big shit about it... I'd say enough people care to keep this as an active discussion for a while. I think that the single biggest mistake I have ever heard on any album surely counts as something to talk about.  Especially since it is easily fixable.  Just seems lazy.

It simply adds to the atmosphere for me, especially with the idea of a mechanical failure for our intrepid spacefarer in The Final Frontier. As you say it's easily fixable and they chose not to so, so I call it as a happy mistake, and intentionally left in imho. The kind of thing where they could make it right and lose all the atmosphere in doing so.

LeakPlease said:
Maybe the issue is that I am a drummer, and I listen intently to drumming in every piece of music I hear.  Therefore, this bothers me a lot. Are the other people who are highly bothered by this drummers too?

No we're certainly not the only ones who noticed this and are bothered by it. Two friends of mine who also bought the album also noticed it upon first listens. It's embarassing. It's like a smear of pink paint on the Mona Lisa's face: sure some people will still call it "art", but in reality it's shit.
Somehow I feel like Maiden will just brush it off and hope it goes away, just like they did with the "Death on the Road DVD" defect. While some brainless fans will continue their blind support no matter what happens.

correct me if I'm wrong but other than the tape hiss in the solo section of The Trooper (which they have a valid reason for, otherwise the track wouldn't have been released on Piece of Mind), the old stuff under Martin Birch was spotless.

seventhdude said:
While some brainless fans will continue their blind support no matter what happens.

I'm sorry that if I heard it first time, and you heard it, that I assume that the band and production heard it.

seventhdude said:
While some brainless fans will continue their blind support no matter what happens.
Was this necessary? I mean, you don't like it. Fine. Write Steve, Rod or Kevin or somebody and get on with it. Why insult fans who don't give a shit, or even don't hear it? Do you feel superior to those less perfectionist than you?

I find it interesting that this little hiccup is now being discussed at length. I am a drummer too. I noticed the error too. I'm also an audio engineer and I know how to program drums. Adrian probably didn't quantise a few beats after hammering them into the MIDI track with a tap on the keyboard. Apart from the ONE error, everything else on the drum track is perfectly quantised. It is therefore a very obvious error that cannot be explained away, Adrian messed it up. But since it was only a demo, he didn't care! He's a guitarist after all. Steve then took the demo, probably heard the error too, but didn't care - I bet he didn't even think of it as something to be corrected *or* left in, he just never thought about touching the demo, and therefore the error.

I think it is kind of funny, since there have been *real* production errors on various metal records that are clearly the producer's fault. I also wish that this little error would have been corrected (would not have done any harm to the atmosphere of the track), as I think that if you do use a drum machine, you'd better do it right. But again, this was not a production error. It simply wasn't meant to be on the record. I don't really like it, but I understand why it's there. Still doesn't ruin either the track or the album for me!

Oh and Death on the Road was a huge disappointment once I watched it on my flatscreen TV. The picture quality is unbelievably low, it's not even real SD. *That* kills a Maiden release for me, not just some small glitch.

Well said MadMax, a good explanation about the drum programming, which serves as a fine answer to Zare's latest post. I am drummer too (maybe that's why I heard it immediately) and this stuff is definitely a mistake.

Still, no big deal, we all know he is better in playing the guitar.

Wow.  I'm sorry, but after listening to the CD, my  IPOD version and several you tube offerings of the song, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about brah.  If anything,  you are listening too hard, and may or may not be another troll, sorry if you're not no offense.
  And this bull$hi* about it being "Pink paint on the Mona Lisa"? No hater. more like "A speck of dust in cosmic sand!!!"  UP THE IRONS!!

I could tell straight away it was a drum track, but you know what? I love the song and I hope they open the show with it over the PA in Sydney in February!

It sounds completely different to every other Harris-produced song, even if it is nothing more than an embellished demo track!

It has a really... I dunno... claustrophobic (?) feel to it, which makes me feel like i'm stranded in a space ship with limited oxygen... or something like that! Plus, it has a very Pink Floyd-Space Rock feel to it... and with the Floyd being my second fave band, i'm not complaining!

if it's a mistake or not.... who the hell cares? Arry thought it was fine...

As a producer/engineer, Kevin Shirley probably thought it should be re-recorded by the band and shined and polished, but at the end of the day, and after 30+ years at the helm, who is gonna tell Steve harris he got it wrong?

Back