Running Wild

The_7th_one

Ancient Mariner
I searched in the forum and there's a couple of post talking about this band… so I'm going to start introducing this band to all of you.

The following text is taken from the metal-archives.com website:

Formed in 1976 as Granite Hearts, the band agreed to change it to Running Wild in 1979 - the name was taken from the Judas Priest song with the same name, featured on their 1978 full-length Killing Machine.

The leader and guitarrist is nicknamed Rock N Rolf. The main theme of this band is the pirate world.

I made this board of their discography, I think they deserves this thread because they are an underated band.
The left albums belongs to their best period, though the right hand side albums has a lot of fantastic songs. In the middle 2 compilations with the best of the band.

We can discuss about them

rw_disco.jpg

Running wild is great, and Rolf Kasparek is a true rock’n roller and a great guitarist who has been around forever. I like many of their album, especially those from around 1988-1994/95.

I saw what was supposed to be their last ever gig at Wacken in 2009, before Heaven and Hell. Tragic irony was that it wasn't to be Running Wild's last gig, but it was one of Dio's last ones. The sound at the Black Metal Stage where they played was atrocious, you only heard the drums, bass and a little bit of Kasparek. So I moved over to the True Metal Stage where Heaven and Hell were to be on later, and the sound through the PA there was a lot better. You could also just about see a little bit of the stage there.

... so I'm going to start introducing this band to all of you.
A noble cause, but we are quite familiar with them. :p The only pirate metal band that is worth listening to, in my opinion.

Some of their earlier albums are pretty good, but the formula got old pretty quickly. Nevertheless, enjoyable metal.
Just their signature sound, nothing uncommon for bands with a long history and just one primary songwriter.
The formula works well for me, so I personally have no complaints.
My favorite album - Port Royal.

Some of their earlier albums are pretty good, but the formula got old pretty quickly. Nevertheless, enjoyable metal.
Agree with you, the guitar solos are very similar. A lot of bands and artist have the first ten years as a golden era. Later the creativity doesn't reach the same level.

I saw what was supposed to be their last ever gig at Wacken in 2009, before Heaven and Hell. Tragic irony was that it wasn't to be Running Wild's last gig, but it was one of Dio's last ones. The sound at the Black Metal Stage where they played was atrocious, you only heard the drums, bass and a little bit of Kasparek. So I moved over to the True Metal Stage where Heaven and Hell were to be on later, and the sound through the PA there was a lot better. You could also just about see a little bit of the stage there.
Sure they will return.

A noble cause, but we are quite familiar with them. :p The only pirate metal band that is worth listening to, in my opinion.

Just their signature sound, nothing uncommon for bands with a long history and just one primary songwriter.
The formula works well for me, so I personally have no complaints.
My favorite album - Port Royal.
Port Royal was the first album I heard of them 10/10 Maybe my favourite too.
Death or Glory is epic too. Even the compilation where they reworked songs from the first 3 albums, Ten Years of Piracy is glorious too.

To be honest I lost their track at that time and I thought it was the end.
Well, it was, Rolf were close to give up on Running wild, but after he played on some shitty solo project, he wanted to continue Running wild in 2011, and when Holger paid him tons of money to play again in 2015 I think, he’s back and also played some festival shows in summer 2017

I have recently taken to Running Wild, Accept, Eluveitie, Ensiferum and Dark Tranquillity, to varying degrees. And I have never been to Germany so this could be right up my street. I'll wait and see what else they announce as I'll be seein Eluveitie in Dublin in November.

Back