Run Silent Run Deep

How good is Run Silent Run Deep on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Some great work from Steve in the verses and there's some nice melodies.

I don't share the view that the Bruce rasp is more suited here. Sounds awful in places.

Average 6

An enjoyable track, not the best of NPFTD overall, but up there. I like the feel of the song, but I do have some qualms about it. Firstly, the verses feel weirdly arranged, and secondly, I think the chorus would be a little better if they fit 'sink into your final sleep' in differently or left it off altogether. Other than that, it's a good song, and it really feels like a submarine tune. 7/10.

This song comes off as a bit frustrating to me. It's pretty solid thoughout and features some genius ideas, but it feels... unfinished. It's like Steve was trying to write another one of his long epics, but gave up halfway through and rushed it to keep it around the 4-5 minute mark. Still very good, though; a 7.

Last edited:
An atmospheric intro sets the mood perfectly, breaking into an appealing verse with the classic Maiden gallop. Bruce is still in growly mode for the verse, riding the line of becoming annoying. This breaks into a soaring melodic chorus that's over a bit too quickly.

Another round of verse and chorus gives way to a nice melodic interlude and an OK solo followed by a more interesting one, which then breaks into a nice harmonized section.

Yet another round of verse and chorus, then we return to the melodic interlude before closing on a slower, simpler reprise of the chorus with a lingering final note from Bruce.

This is a great song, held back only by the growliness of the verse vocals and a mediocre first solo. 8/10.

A really nice watery intro breaks into a chugging, pumping verse with Bruce narrating the tale of a submarine fighting to survive on the ocean waves. It's a great song, and with every moment you can really envision the watercrafts moving along, particularly in that solo. Chorus is great too. A strong song from the album but not quite as good as other Maiden releases. 7

Awesome intro, great rhythm, good verses and I like the chorus. Great twin-lead guitar harmony after the solos. The melodies and the solos fits the atmosphere of the song. Good song. 8/10

So the lyrics for this were written by Bruce for the Somewhere in Time album but Steve decided he wanted them on this album

Reactions: jcv
So the lyrics for this were written by Bruce for the Somewhere in Time album but Steve decided he wanted them on this album
Bruce suggested the lyrics to Steve:

''These are some words I wrote for the Somewhere In Time album. That particular song never made it but I kept the words, and when Steve came up with something, I said: 'You know what will fit brilliantly there - these words'. It's a song about submarines, actually the first song about submarines. 'Dive, Dive, Dive' came later''.

I dig this intro, with the tasty foreshadowing and echoing of undersea boats. Bruce dances a Russian jig through this song. It’s pretty fun, especially that chorus! Those solos are strong too. It’s overall just a fun seafaring rocker. No “Wolfpack”, but Maiden know how to write submariner anthems too. 8/10

I finally found where Bruce pointed out this song as the ''worst'' Maiden song. Well, it's rather the lyrics written by him!
This is a quote from another site, but it says the interview was in 1997 for Kerrang:

The conversation was recovered by a fan portal and, at a certain point in the conversation, the journalist asked Dickinson which Maiden song he would include in the fictional collection ''Crap Songs Of Our Time''. When responding, Bruce didn't blink and said that the song he would list as his group's worst would be ''Run Silent Run Deep'', from the album No Prayer For The Dying:

Bruce: ''It would definitely be ‘Run Silent Run Deep’. There is a part of the lyrics that I took quite seriously at one time, and it says the following: 'A cunning fox in the chickens lair / A hound of hell and the devil don't care'. I believe this part of the lyrics alone qualifies it''.

Back