Run Silent Run Deep

How good is Run Silent Run Deep on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Run Silent Run Deep

Right before the third verse (the first first after the instrumental section) there is a harmony, so both guys are playing there.

Forostar said:
Right before the third verse (the first first after the instrumental section) there is a harmony, so both guys are playing there.
Got it, thanks. One of these days I'll learn (and remember!) what terms like melody and harmony actually mean. ;)

One of the better tracks from NPFTD, this one. I don't really think it has any weak parts, but it's not up there with the classics. The chorus, though, is one I really like. Simple, but does the job and avoids the far too much used "repeat the same line four times" formula. Also the harmony part between the solos is really good. I'll give this one 8/10.

Well if The Assassin gets 10 from me I can't give this anything less either. In many ways this has a more classic Maiden sound for me: good verses built around a dare I say 'catchy' chorus; and I know others will disagree, but I love Bruce's singing on this song. He has so much commitment in his voice and it's backed up by some crunchingly great guitar.

I first noticed I voted for this thing at all right now, and a 6 to top!
I have no idea when or why I did that, so feel free to ignore this.

The song has a nice drive to it, and if anything, it is certainly not boring. I agree with Donner on the "epic" feel of the track, and you do have the feeling of having gone through something when the track is finished. I also like the intro a lot, and the harmony part is the best on the album.

On the other hand, I think Bruce is pretty bad on this one, the lyrics are a bit awkward (although fine for the adventure novel type thing they have going) and Jan's solo is plain horrible. I even feel a bit dirty for calling it a 'solo', it's just some uncontrolled, messy shredding that doesn't go anywhere.

Everything considered, I have to argue that it is a good piece of songwriting that is spoiled a bit by uninspired performance. I do have a soft spot for it and don't have the heart to give it any lower than 6/10.

Another decent, but unremarkable song. Not to harp on the vocal stylings, but given the performance on the chorus, I can’t see how it couldn’t have been improved with a cleaner vocal track on the verses. Six

Great chorus, great harmony part. Worst solo on the album. Decent song. 9/10.

7 out of 10... I like this tune, although nothing about it really grabs me and shakes me. If I was pressed, I'd say Bruce's vocal and the lyrics are the high point of the song.

8. Like the insistent rhythm a lot, Bruce's delivery is very powerful, too. Musically, it's simple, but I love the guitar in this one, the instrumental section is the highlight, manic solos and a wonderful guitar duet. It's said to have been played live, in Canada, in 1991, but I doubt it as much I'd love it to be true.

Great instrumental section, great melodies overall. The bass lines in part after the chorus really depict sinking!
One of the better tracks off NPFTD, still not good enough for 9. Strong 8.

One of the album's best. The lyrics are superb and the guitar work is good too. The only problem I have with it is Bruce's awful singing at the end. 9/10

Another filler from NPFTD. What a surprise. Solid 7 from me.
EDIT: Oh and that god awful singing in the end... Bruce's worst moment.

Vap said:
EDIT: Oh and that god awful singing in the end... Bruce's worst moment.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Boring song with horrible chorus. Only slightly better than Fates Warning because it's catchier. 4/10.

Back