Run Silent Run Deep

How good is Run Silent Run Deep on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

gor

Ancient Mariner
i've always stuck with what's being said on the commentary about the origins of inspiration for that song, but coming across this site

http://www.bookofhours.34sp.com/bdwbn/trivia.html

i saw this

Bruce was inspired to write the song "Dive dive dive" based on characters from the BBC series "Captain Pugwash". The names mentioned in the lyrics are all in that series. He also planned to use some samples from it as intro to the song but didn't get the permission so he had to do the talking himself.

The Iron Maiden track "Run silent, run deep", off the "No prayer for the dying" album, was also based on the series, and this song, though released half a year later, was the first of the two.

:: so, which one is true? or are both true?

PS. there's also an intresting snippet about nodding donkey blues, i never knew about that samson song...

'run Silent Run Deep'

Seems like a bit of conjecture to me, mate. Run Silent, Run Deep has always been based on the book and movie so far as I know. I don't know what Captain Pugwash is about, but it sounds almost like a bit of a joke to me. The show, that is, perhaps a sitcom.

'run Silent Run Deep'

It was a children's programme. Bruce used the [a href=\'http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm\' target=\'_blank\']urban legend[/a] that surrounds it about the characters names.

"Master Bates I don't give a damn!" (quote at the end of 'Dive Dive Dive')

Needless to say, the song has very obvious sexual conotations that have very little to do with submarines! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'run Silent Run Deep'

so who's davy jones, i did a little search on gogle and came up with [a href=\'http://joobilee.org/potc/quotes.html\' target=\'_blank\']this[/a]. from what i can collect, it's sth of a phrase in england. does anyone know anything about it?

'run Silent Run Deep'

"Davey Jones's locker" is simply an English expression for a watery grave. I don't know the exact origin of it though... Anything to do with Jonah, maybe?

'run Silent Run Deep'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on 'Run Silent Run Deep' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'run Silent Run Deep'

Whenever I hear this one, "das Boot" comes to mind. One of the reasons why I like Maiden so much is that they seem to be able to capture any atmosphere in their music, no matter what the subject. Be it ancient egypt or science fiction, the atmosphere they put in their music is always right on the button. I love the way the guitars kick in after the slow intro.

'run Silent Run Deep'

Well, "Das Boot" surely is a great movie, but the song is more or less about the crews of the merchant vessels which were attacked by the U-boats. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be on either side. Apart from the lyrical content, there is not too much from the song, at least for me.

'run Silent Run Deep'

My favourite song on the album and even a song which gets it in to my Maiden top 10.

Brilliant chorus, excellent guitar solo's and a dark intro. All the ingredients Maiden needs to create a great song which RUn Silent Run Deep really is.

Re: 'run Silent Run Deep'

I've just seen the film "Run Silent, Run Deep".

Run_Silent_Run_Deep_1958_Poster.jpg

GreatEscapeTheRunSilent16145_f.jpg

Enjoyable! I bet Bruce was very inspired by this film, not only for the Maiden track of the same name, but especially for "Dive! Dive! Dive!". I could easily hear the literal sounds he must have used! :)

Daily Song: Run Silent Run Deep

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Run Silent Run Deep

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This is a quality track, with killer lyrics (if a bit goofy) and a good sound. I wish it had been drawn out into a proper epic, TFF-style, with a long introduction and a better instrumental section, but I do like it how it is. I give it a solid 8.982354, so that rounds to a 9.

Re: Daily Song: Run Silent Run Deep

I think several songs on No Prayer suffer from having a chorus that is much weaker than the rest of the song, and this is one of those.  The intro is atmospheric and gives a feeling of being under the sea, and the verses plus lyrics are solid too.  But, the chorus pulls it down a bit, I'd have given it an 8 otherwise.  7/10.

I'm sort of OK with this. I do like the track but it really took me a while to get into. I agree with Invader, the chorus does bring it down but the verses are just plain brilliant and have a good steady driving beat. 7 from me.

I really like this one! Criminally under-rated! Easily in my top 5 90's material. The chorus is awesome!

9/10.

This is my favorite song off this album.  I love pretty much everything about it.  Including, like MR and the title track, how it manages to seem epic and somewhat cinematic while still being a short song.  Too bad they never did this one live.

The whole submarine thing though, I have to believe this was a carry over from Tattooed Millioaire (Dive Dive Dive) even though reports have the lyrics being written as far back as the Somewhere in Time era (which would make it a predecessor to that song).

Anyway, great track, 9 from me.

This song is amazing. The galopping rhythm kicks major obese ass and the chorus actually displays some marvelous variation of the vocals. Bruce sings high and does it pretty good too.

The midpart is the highlight of the song. First Janick's menacing attack (one of his better aggressive solos while the rhyhtm guitars are almost as slaying) and than Dave follows with his impression of Lawrence of Arabia. When you think you've reached the summum pleasure in the ears, the following harmony is even better.

Pay special attention to 'Arry in the part between the 2nd chorus and the 1st solo. Excellent.  :edmetal:

Another 9.

Donner said:
how it manages to seem epic and somewhat cinematic

Wow, I didn't read your post when I wrote mine, but the song surely had the same impact.

Cool.

*shakes Donner's hands*

Solidly good song, one of the highlights of the album for me. I also think it could have benefited from an extended instrumental section; that part before the third verse (is it still Dave's solo?) is particularly good. 5/10

Back