Rock Stories!

____no5

Free Man
This is a serious thread about rock bands of 60s -70s, and more particularly : stories (anecdotes) about some beloved bands of that period. Like this, it will be easier for you to read them and get some interest about those bands
It will feature a lot of you-tube /wiki hyperlinks so to take a taste of the featuring bands -a lot of images too
-------

Our first event here the holy festival of Isle of Wight, 1970, maybe the greatest festival in the history of Rock music in terms of featuring bands, and if I'm not wrong the biggest European festival ever, in terms of people attended

Isle-of-Wight.jpg

A small sample : Miles Davis, Joan Baez, The Doors, Procol Harum, The Who (where they performed the entire Tommy album), Jethro Tull, Jimmy Hendrix (last appearance before his death), Ten Years After and many many more
The main attraction of the festival was Jimmy Hendrix, who was THE absolute star that time

Hendrix at Isle of Wight
Ile%20de%20Wight.jpg

Two of my all-time favorite bands Hawkwind (Lemmy's second band -the song Motorhead was originally a b-side, 1975) and Edgar Broughton Band were playing in a anti-festival free entrance for protesting for the high prices of this rock event
These two bands were friend bands, with a lot of interactive collaboration with poets, painters, writers, dancers etc, both politically engaged with Broughtons being the British MC5, and Hawkwind one of the first space rock groups ever (in fact the term starts with them)
Well, when god Hendrix finished with his appearance, he went to join them in the anti-festival !!!

...and this is as rock as it gets, huh ?? ;)

Hawkwind
I0000Ah_tIt.rpIM.jpg

Edgar Broughton Band
unnamed-2.jpg

MC5
mc5_2005_1.jpg

SOME SELECTED SAMPLES (you tube) FROM GROUPS MENTIONED :

Procol Harum, from their first and only #1 album ---> Whiter Shade of Pale
Hawkwind ---> Silver Machine (their biggest hit)-LIVE
Jethro Tull, from their only #1 album, Stand Up ---> We Used To Know
Edgar Broughton Band ---> Evening Over Rooftops
Ten Years After ---> I'd Love To Change The World
MC5 --->Kick Out The Jams

Last edited:
This is going to provide a wealth of lost or harder to find material for all, particularly our younger members. Enjoy!

Rock Stories! -Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears, is the second awesome album of Cream (one of the first power trios /supergroups ever)

Album's Cover -1967
220px-DisraeliGears.jpg

Eric Clapton, after quitting John's Mayall's Bluesbreakers (to be replaced by god Peter Green)
made his own band, Cream
The first Cream album (Fresh Cream, 1966), was a blues album -in the lines of early Yardbirds and Mayall's recordings
but the second was a "victim" of the time's (the holy 1967) mode : psychedelia

Well, as we know, Disraeli was a British super successful politician, so the title album is meaning nothing actually :lol:
BUT, the title story is this : some Clapton's roady, said something about Disraeli Gears ::) by meanning Derailleur Gears

Benjamin Disraeli
220px-Disraeli.jpg

Disraeli Gears considered today, Cream's best effort

SAMPLES FROM THE ALBUM

Sunshine of Your Love
Strange Brew
Tales of Brave Ulysses

----------
some other 1967 albums : the Doors (debut album), Jefferson Airplane -Takes Off (debut album), The Beatles -St.Pepper's...., The Rolling Stones -Her Satanic Majesty Requests, Pink Floyd -The Pipper At The Gates Of Dawn (debut album), Procol Harum -A Whiter Shade Of Pale (debut album)

all the above super important, and all heavily influenced by the psychedelic wave of time

Last edited:
Rock Stories! -Roger the Engineer

[*] note concerning my previous post :
According to Wiki, Cream was not just one of the first rock trios (as I stated) but the very first one
---------

Our new story will be about Yardbirds, Attention : YARDBIRDS
Digging and understanding the history of the group is not less essential than digging Beatles
-with a purpose purpose to understand 60s
Especially Beck's era is very important to be digged by metal fans, as here we have some very early sound experimentations that helped the later evolution of the genre

So I will come again and again to Yardbirds subject, as it's a bit complicated, too

For the moment keep this : Clapton, Beck and Page never played all together in studio, or on stage while the band was alive. Just Beck -Page, and even just for some months (to create Beck's Bolero, later used by both)

The 3 Eras of Yardbirds
--->the most bluesy period was Clapton's era (64 -65)
--->the classic, most commercial, most important for the development of electric guitar as an instrument, and the development of the heavy metal genre was without a doubt Beck's era (65 -66)
--->the most dark and psychedelic was Jimmy Page's era (67 -68)

Our Lil'Story
Well, is a simple story that one
The first Yardbirds album to feature original only material, was the Yardbirds (1966) album
But in fact, all the people know this album with its nick «Roger the Engineer »

Birth of Roger the Engineer artwork
The all-time second guitarist (sometimes bassist) Chris Dreja, was a multi-artist, a bit photographer, a bit painter so he designed one day a caricature of their sound engineer, Roger !!
As you can see, he was a bit monster this guy, and as the result was enough good, they decided to make an album cover
It was more a sketch drawing, something that we do when we have nothing to do really, and for fun, Dreja put the name of Roger written below the cable,
When it decided to go for album's artwork this writing stayed giving the nick to this wonderful album

SAMPLES OF THE ALBUM :

Over Under Sideways Down ---> http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=-HRKrFoNSe0
Jeff's Boogie ---> http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=H88b3Cu2eW0

the first Yardbirds : Clapton in the middle, Dreja in the right
1.jpg

the awesome cover designed by Dreja
Yardbirds-RogerTheEngineer.jpg

Rock Stories! -the birth of folk rock

This is a story about a concert. Not any concert though, but the holy concert of 25th July 1966 of the Newport's Folk Festival

sound checks with Paul Bloomfield Blues Band
newport.jpeg

The first time that during a *folk* concert someone plugs an amplifier in an electric guitar. This someone was Bob Dylan. With the first notes of Maggie's Farm, a whole music genre is born : Folk Rock !

Maggie's farm at Newport (lead guitar Mike Bloomfield)

It was never too easy to me to define a folk rock group except The Byrds. We could say, without being wrong that artists like Van Morrison, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Band, the giant Tim Buckley, Leonard Cohen, The Turtles, Simon and Garfunkel, early Springsteen etc belong artistically to this genre.
A step away but still close we got Creedence Clearwater Revival, or Lynyrd Skynyrd
Random elements of this genre we can find even in Doors, or Dire Straights

Few months before, on March 1965, Dylan had released the first folk rock record : Bringing It All Back Home, where the first side was an electric one, but still the sound mix and the instrumentations had let the electric sound a bit discreet, obviously because Dylan's audience back then was consisted almost among folk fans

Well the story is not very clear as Dylan's been a bit mysterious about it, but apparently he decided to go electric just one night before his headline appearance, with some help from white blues pioneers The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, so they could prepare only 3 songs : Maggie's Farm, It Takes a Lot to Laugh, it Takes a Train to Cry, and Like a Rolling Stone in that order (although according to some sources Rolling Stone is second, and Train third)

During this 3-song electric set Dylan and his band were received into a sea of booing -you've maybe already noticed them in Maggie's Farm

Like a Rolling Stone (generally regarded as the most important song ever), had been released as a single just some days earlier, so I guess it was not so known from the audience.
While the band was checking its sound someone from the audience shouted : « Judas ! »
...to receive Dylan's answer « You're a liar......I don't believe you »
Then he told his band to « play this fuckin loud » (bootlegs) and started to play the song for the first time live
This Judas incident gave a very dramatic dimension to the first live performance of this great song (see lyrics below and you'll understand why)

Like A Rolling Stone Live at Newport

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didnt you?
Peopled call, say, beware doll, youre bound to fall
You thought they were all kiddin you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin out
Now you dont talk so loud
Now you dont seem so proud
About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?

Youve gone to the finest school all right, miss lonely
But you know you only used to get juiced in it
And nobody has ever taught you how to live on the street
And now you find out youre gonna have to get used to it
You said youd never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
Hes not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And ask him do you want to make a deal?

How does it feel...

You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
When they all come down and did tricks for you
You never understood that it aint no good
You shouldnt let other people get your kicks for you
You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a siamese cat
Aint it hard when you discover that
He really wasnt where its at
After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel...

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people
Theyre drinkin, thinkin that they got it made
Exchanging all kinds of precious gifts and things
But youd better lift your diamond ring, youd better pawn it babe
You used to be so amused
At napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him now, he calls you, you cant refuse
When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose
Youre invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.

How does it feel...

after this, Dylan performed two other songs (acoustically) to receive a good reaction

Last edited:
Rock Stories! -R'n'R Circus

The Rolling Stones R'n'R Circus was a TV show organized by Stones (11/ Dec/ 1968), featuring artists like the Who, Jethro Tull, John Lennon, Marianne Faithfull, Eric Clapton etc

What makes it so special ?
1)It was the very last public performance of Brian Jones the man that founded Stones and the very first to belong to the 27 club
2)The appearance of Dirty Mac, John Lennon's supergroup (with him, E.Clapton, K.Richards and M.Mitchel)
3)It was the only public appearance of metal's godfather Tony Iommi with Jethro Tull

220px-The_Rolling_Stones_Rock-and-Roll_Circus_poster_300x417px.jpg

Back in 1968, after founding member and guitarist Abrahams left Jethro Tull, Tony Iommi got the job, but quickly he realised that Tull wasn't for him, so he told Anderson he wanted to leave. Anderson then asked him to stay at least for the appearance in the -already scheduled- R'n'R circus.
But as they didn't make any rehearsals -it was the only band to make a play back appearance

This Was, the only Tull album to feature founding member Abrahams
Anamed-3.jpg

The tracklist of that show :

Guests :
1. Song For Jeffrey -Jethro Tull
2. A Quick One While He’s Away -the Who
3. Ain't That A Lot Of Love -Taj Mahal
4. Something Better -Marianne Faithfull
5. Yer Blues -the Dirty Mac
6. Whole Lotta Yoko -the Dirty Mac

the Rolling Stones :
7. Jumping Jack Flash
8. Parachute Woman
9. No Expectations
10. You Can't Always Get What You Want
11. Sympathy For The Devil
12. Salt Of The Earth

Jethro Tull appearance (Iommi with the white hat)

Dirty Mac appearance (with the introduction by Mick Jagger) ---> note the ENORMOUS Eric Clapton solo :wub:

awesome :

JL : ..."I'm with the god Mort de Rire Mitch Michel from Jimmy Hendrix Experience..."
MJ : "I read it...experience"
JL : "oh very badly, you read my file" ..."I'm with the god Eric Clapton from the Cream..."
MJ : "Cream....fantastic" :D
JL : "I'm with god Keith Richards your own soul brother"
MJ : "dirty" :lol:

Sympathy For The Devil

the White Album, where Yer Blues is originally
31pY7BT4%2BXL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Rock Stories! -for you blue

in the controversial "let it be" Lp the most interesting -for many- song is for you blue

....while John Lennon plays the slide guitar, George Harrison says, "Elmore James got nothin' on this, baby."

Elmore James is mentioned as the king of the slide guitar, and he had an incredible voice except his huge guitar skills
He is the absolut reference for the slide guitar, and that's why the Beatles refered to him while sliding

en.wiki said:
Other artists influenced by Elmore James include Frank Zappa and Jeffrey Evans of the band 68 Comeback.
The Grateful Dead, John Primer (Blue Steel CD) Billy Gibbons and Eric Clapton are other notable artists to have recorded Elmore James covers.

Elmore James ; it hurts me too (not the original recording -but still a nice version), the sky is crying, dust my broom

SOME REMARKABLE COVERS
Steve Ray Vaughan's the sky is crying
Jimi Hendrix'es the sky is crying
Howling Wolf's dust my broom
Greatful Dead's it hurts me too

AWESOME to the bone version of it hurts me too (unknown player) ---->

John Campbell giving steel guitar lessons in the middle of Elmore James' Person to Person at Montreux, 1992
(lessons start from about 5:00) -ENJOY !!

________
ps : this post is based on an Elmore James thread of mine in one of the Mightest forums of Universe

Last edited:
Re: Rock Stories! -Street Survivors

Street Survivors was released by Lynyrd Skynyrd 3 only days before the plane crash accident that killed some of the band members
and put an end in the first -and most notable- era of the group

There are some ironic (in a sad interpretation) coincidences about that

Firstly the album art : ---->
StreetSurvivorsFlames.jpg

which after the accident changed quickly to this --->
StreetSurvivorsNoFlams.jpg

Secondly :
en.wiki said:
The Convair 240 itself had been inspected by members of Aerosmith's flight crew for possible use in the early summer of 1977, but was rejected because it was felt that neither the plane nor the crew were up to standards. In an interview in the book Walk This Way, Aerosmith's assistant chief of flight operations Zunk Buker tells of seeing pilots McCreary and Gray trading a bottle of Jack Daniels back and forth while Buker and his father were inspecting the plane. Aerosmith's touring family was also relieved because the band, specifically Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, had been trying to pressure their management into renting that specific plane.

Convair 240 was the plane in question

playlist :

What's Your Name (Rossington, Van Zant) – 3:30
That Smell (Collins, Van Zant) – 5:47 ------------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_toedW2L0
One More Time (Rossington, Van Zant) – 5:03
I Know A Little (Gaines) – 3:26
You Got That Right (Gaines, Van Zant) – 3:44
I Never Dreamed (Gaines, Van Zant) – 5:21
Honky Tonk Night Time Man (Haggard) – 3:59 ------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHvC4Sa1rJY
Ain't No Good Life (Gaines) – 4:36

Haile Selassie I, was one of the most iconic African personalities of the 20th century.
He was emperor of Ethiopia from 1930 -1974 (Being in exile from 1936 to 1941, following Italian invasion).
He fought for Africa’s decolonization and played a major role to the establishment of the Organisation of African Unity.

He is regarding as the Messiah & incarnation of Jah (Almighty God is a living man, from Marley’s Get Up, Stand Up) by the Rastafari movement,
which was been named after his birth name, Tafari.

1872459857_1.jpg

As today is the 35th anniversary from his death,
it’d be interesting to see the story behind one of the most beautiful & powerful Bob Marley’s songs, War, from the album Rastaman Vibration, 1976.
Despite all songs were written by Marley, no one is credited to him and this had to do with some issues with his record company.

While the Rastafari movement started around his coronation in 1930, it was cemented after his first visit in Jamaica on 21 April 1966.
It was about that time that Bob Marley & The Wailers were recording their first albums.
A few years earlier, on 4 October 1963, Haile Selassie addressed a wonderful speech to UN.
War’s lyrics are almost literally delivered from that speech.

Below are the lyrics of the song.
In red color the additions by Marley. In parenthesis what he doesn’t sing.

Bob Marley -War, 1976

(That) until the philosophy, which holds one race superior and another inferior,
is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned; everywhere is war. Me say war.

That until there are no longer first-class and second-class citizens of any nation;
(That) until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; me say war.

That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; Dis a war.
That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship
and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; now everywhere is war.

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola,
in Mozambique (and in) South Africa in subhuman bondage have been toppled (and) totally destroyed; well everywhere is war. Me say war

War in the east,
War in the west,
War up north,
War down south -

(Until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest
have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will;
Until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven;)

(And) Until that day, the African continent will not know peace.
We Africans will fight, if we find it necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil.

Here is the full speech of Selassie towards UN on 4 Oct. 1963.

Last edited:
Rock Stories! -The Story of Pat Martino

Pat Martino’s history is a wonderful legend.
He started to play guitar professionally at the age of 15and he became famous early 60s with his appearances in Willis Jackson albums. Late 60s he releases his first personal albums, some very interesting jazz compositions fused with the wave of psychedelic era of that time. In the 70s, he cemented his legend including some fusion of that era. Here's his famous cover of the jazz standard, Sunny, 1972

However, during the tour for his Joyous Lake (1976) album, he started to face some problems of brain aneurysm. It was then that he decided to cut with the recordings and tours and try to save himself.
As a declaration for his retirement, he released the album Exit in late ‘76, a record with much more personal sound, than the rest of his 70s albums. Then almost stopped, having only three side appearances from 1977 until 1980, all three in Willis Jackson’s albums including the legendary Bar Wars)

Exit_(Pat_Martino_album).jpg
Scan-080626-0001Fthumb1.jpg

In 1980, he decided to undergo surgery after being told that his condition could be terminal.
After his operations he could remember almost nothing. He barely recognized his parents and had no memory of his guitar or his career. He was feeling ‘as if he had been "dropped cold, empty, neutral, cleansed, ... naked’.

In the following years, 1980-87, Martino made a remarkable recovery. Through intensive study of his own historic recordings, and with the help of computer technology, Pat managed to reverse his memory loss and return to form on his instrument. His past recordings eventually became "an old friend, a spiritual experience which remained beautiful and honest." This recovery fits in perfectly with Pat's illustrious personal history. Since playing his first notes while still in his pre-teenage years, Martino has been recognized as one of the most exciting and virtuosic guitarists in jazz. With a distinctive, fat sound and gut-wrenching performances, he represents the best not just in jazz, but also in music. He embodies thoughtful energy and soul.

He marked his come back with The Return, 1987

he_Return_(Pat_Martino_album).jpg

More Pat Martino in the Jazz thread, soon ;)

Last edited:
Of course. All of them. MC5, is mentioned in the very first post. And I do have a story to tell, but my next one should be Grateful Dead. I need to find the time and occasion though. A usual post, takes me a few hours only in searching the links, sources and typing, providing that I already have the story. Pat Martino's story, is due since two years and only now I found the occasion and time to develop it properly. Grateful Dead, is even more.

I got an interesting story for you. In the inside jacket of the MC5 vinyl album, I believe it's High Time, there is a picture of them in concert. Well, my dad booked them and SRC for a show and that is the actual picture of the concert he booked! You can actually see him standing there!

Roy Harper Vs Ginger Baker

Glastonbury 1981:

Friday night was possibly the best music wise, although Roy Harper's set was gate crashed by Ginger Baker .

Roy Harper put it thus 'Later I'm playing the gig, going down quite well, building up to the finale. Then Ginger starts walking on with drums, setting up right in front of me, destroying everything. I couldn't believe it. So I left the microphone and said 'Hey, what you doing?' And he said, 'F--- off, you've been on here too f---ing long, you c---' and his band started bringing all their gear on.

'So I started to seethe, nudged one of his drums with my left foot and he lunged at me. I just burst, turned round and gave him one right in the guts. Ginger goes, 'Urrgghh you c----.' Then we were fighting and the stage was full of people. I completely flipped my lid.' '

There we were at a festival dedicated to peace and love man and I hit someone. He may have been the thickest idiot at the festival but I'd actually hit him. After that I was filled with frantic remorse and basically just wanted to hit everyone, everything I could lay my bloody hands on.' 'So they got hold of my arms and carried me off, looking like I'm ripe for Broadmore, wearing this human straightjacket, screaming 'You f---ing bastards. 'I'd lost it altogether, I was fighting f---ing mad.'

According to Harper the crowd then proceeded to bottle Ginger , one hitting him on the head , whereupon he was taken to hospital . Another source says that Ginger carried on playing .Yet another source says that Ginger threw a can at Harper and it hit him on the head. Strange how tales become distorted in all directions by memory . Whatever happened , it was a pretty silly scenario , these two seasoned musicians should have been able to sort out their differences in some other fashion.

Mother Gong © Nigel Sivyer

Hello... I want to add my piece about the fight onstage between Harper and Baker... Glastonbury 81.
   It was the most unforgettable thing i ever saw on a stage. Harper was doing fine... we were warmed up and enjoying the show; after a handful of numbers I recognised Baker onstage and a fist fight kicked off. I remember Roy H hitting out and people grappling and tumbling around. Harper got forced off-stage by people holding his arms as he struggled furiously.

There were boos and bottles as Baker started up... They impressed us but rocks came at the band.. sharp chunks of granite or similar. A near fist sized chunk arked from a long distance and smacked Ginger on the forehead. It should've killed him surely but he didn't miss a beat. He continued with furious energy till the end of his set.

Next day I saw Baker walking around the site with a thick black gash on his forehead, obviously in need of stitches. Baker was asking people if anyone knew who the bastard was who threw the rock.

Keith Emslie Mitchell

01 October 1966: The day (an unknown) Jimi Hendrix killed Eric Clapton.

I’m resurrecting this all time favourite thread of mine for a series of 4 -5 posts that are interlinked with each other starting with Jimi Hendrix and ending with John Bonham.

5wtPNcu3qLbEp3grri7UCe.jpg

During the 70 years history of R’n’R probably none reached the status of god more than Jimi Hendrix. He completely transformed the way we view guitar once and for all being the benchmark for every guitarist 50 year after his death. Although his mainstream career spanned only four years, he is widely regarded as one of the most influential electric guitarists in the history of popular music, and one of the most celebrated musicians of the 20th century. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame describes him as "arguably the greatest instrumentalist in the history of rock music”.
In Jack Bruce’s (Cream) words, "Eric (Clapton) was a guitar player, Jimi was some sort of force of nature"

Although Hendrix was technically an American, he was Made in UK.
At that time black people in US were pretty much ghettoed and were playing Jazz, Blues, Soul, R’n’B etc. The music that Hendrix introduced to the world was an eclectic mix of psychedelia and heavily distorted blues, was essentially a white man’s music and it wouldn’t been possible of being born in the America of 60s by anyone let alone by a black man.
As a matter of fact during his tenure in New York, Hendrix was seen by both Dylan & Miles Davis but none offered him a chance. Rolling Stones managers were even unimpressed by him.

Major life movements:
Seattle 1942 -1961 (born -grew-up)
Kentucky 1961 -1963 (military service)
Nashville 1963 -1965 (sideman with various artists, most notably Little Richard)
New York 1966 & 1968 onwards (trying to make a name for himself & later the establishment of Electric Ladyland Studio)
London 1966 (where his star was born and where he died in 1970).

By May 1966, Hendrix was struggling to earn a living wage playing the R&B circuit, so he briefly rejoined Curtis Knight and the Squires for an engagement at one of New York City's most popular nightspots, the Cheetah Club. During a performance, Linda Keith, the girlfriend of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, noticed Hendrix and was "mesmerised" by his playing. She invited him to join her for a drink, and the two became friends. She then introduced him to Chas Chandler, Animals bassist by the time. Chandler saw Hendrix play in Cafe Wha?, a Greenwich Village, New York City nightclub. Chandler liked the Billy Roberts song "Hey Joe", and was convinced he could create a hit single with the right artist.

Impressed with Hendrix's version of the song, he brought him to London on September 24, 1966, and signed him to a management and production contract with himself and ex-Animals manager Michael Jeffery.

Fast forward a week, place is London and time is 01 October 1966. Cream are performing in London Polytechnic and Chandler is persuading Cream to let Hendrix share the stage for a while.

October-1-1966-Jimi-Hendrix-performed-live-in-the-UK-when-for-the-first-time-when-he-jammed-wi...jpg

A little background here: Cream were the first supergroup & power trio in Rock history. Though they hadn’t release anything at the time they were very famous all three being known from previous endeavours most notably Clapton with Yardbirds & John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers. Eric Clapton was considered the best English guitarist at the time and a couple of years earlier there were “CLAPTON IS GOD” graffitis in London. One of the ways Chandler enticed Hendrix back in NY was by promising him that he could meet Eric Clapton. Jimi was a big fan of the album Clapton recorded with John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers.

Clapton_is_God.jpg

Jimi got onstage, plugged into Bruce’s bass amp, and played a version of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Killin’ Floor.” Everyone was “completely gobsmacked,” Clapton writes in his autobiography. “I remember thinking that here was a force to be reckoned with. It scared me, because he was clearly going to be a huge star, and just as we are finding our own speed, here was the real thing. Fear, envy, awe… all reasonable emotions when standing next to Jimi Hendrix as he tears through “Killin’ Floor” three times faster than anyone else played it, while doing the splits, lying on the floor, playing with his teeth and behind his head…”
Rock journalist Keith Altham has yet a third account, as Ed Vulliamy writes at The Guardian. He remembers “Chandler going backstage after Clapton left in the middle of the song ‘which he had yet to master himself’; Clapton was furiously puffing on a cigarette and telling Chas: ‘You never told me he was that fucking good.’”
Who knows if Hendrix knew Clapton had struggled with “Killin’ Floor” and decided not to try it live. But as blues guitarist Stephen Dale Petit notes, “when Chas invited Jimi to London, Jimi did not ask about money or contracts. He asked if Chas would introduce him to Beck and Clapton.”

Killin' Floor version with Experience

When Jimi Hendrix met Eric Clapton

The reason bands used to have long drum solos during the 70’s were so the singers and guitarists could get a BJ break from groupies during the show.

I’m sorry for ruining peoples imaginations while listening to Alive!, Made in Japan, Zappa in New York etc…

The reason bands used to have long drum solos during the 70’s were so the singers and guitarists could get a BJ break from groupies during the show.

John Bonham's solo, 1977 -Page & Plant are nowhere to be seen :innocent:

I'm planning to do one or two longer posts for John Bohman so this is some kind of preparing the ground

His top 5 drummers (3 of them also my top 5)

As per Wikipedia he held Tull's Barriemore Barlow in very high esteem called him "the greatest rock drummer England ever produced"

Barriemore's drum solo, 1979 -Damit, where's Ian Anderson? :D

Back