Rock in rio overdubs

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+18 Mar. 2002,9:50--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ 18 Mar. 2002,9:50)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think his voice was slowly getting lower-it was like he was on helium in Samson! NOTB showed his voice had a lower tone... [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]  It got lower and lower until about AOB...then it came back to how it was.  Since then, it's been perfect.  It's have a 6 year rest (NPFTD to Skunkworks was very different)

The song I mentioned earlier (Red Skies) is the highest I've ever heard him sing!  So out of tune...[/quote]
I've got a cd now, called NWOBHM '79 Revisited, Samson is on there. I don't know if it's that song. BTW, the booklet says: singer: Bruce Bruce, well that's what the guy who upped it for me said.

Bruce Bruce was Bruce's name in Samson-it was a joke from a monty python sketch.  The other members of Samson used to call him Bruce Bruce-all his cheques were to that name so he had trouble cashing them!

[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I think Bruce Bruce sounds cool!

STEVE HARRIS ON THE OVERDUBS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21/03/02: A MESSAGE FROM STEVE HARRIS ABOUT ROCK IN RIO

Let's get one thing straight. Bruce is NOT a liar.

There are NO overdubs on this live album. While it was being mixed in New York by Kevin Shirley and myself, Bruce was in London to my knowledge, or wherever he was, it's not an issue except to say that he couldn't overdub anything if he wasn't there!

What HAS happened is that I made an executive decision to cut and paste with a computer to put back in, his LIVE on the night vocals into parts where where he was getting the audience to sing on some choruses on some lines on their own. The reason I did this is because in the cold light of day it sounds better with him back in there because sometimes the audience were either out of time or not quite loud enough. So I simply cut out parts of his vocal on the line before and pasted it into the next line which was possible because it was a repetitive part.

I find it amazing that people would question this band's integrity and indeed go as far as accuse someone of being a liar. Supposed fans like that we don't want, as far as I'm concerned we're better off without people like that. If you don't like what I've done with the album, don't buy it. Simple!

Steve Harris
18th March 2002

What do you think?

I posted it in the news forum. I think those people owe Bruce an apolagy!

[!--QuoteBegin-KRS+20 Mar. 2002,3:44--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(KRS @ 20 Mar. 2002,3:44)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Well, I know I'm gonna sound stupid..

It's not!?[/quote]
Bruce's real name is Paul Dickinson.  Bruce is his middle name!

And about the Steve Harris comment...I agree with what he says about no overdubs.

And if you don't like the album, don't buy it!  Very true!

I'm listening to The Clansman from RIR right now, and I think you can hear the cut and paste very good.

He says: Your turn, and he continues singing, he screams 'Ey!' like sing, and he continues singing, and then when he finishes a line, you can hear him scream again, but it sounds different. He screams louder! While he is singing self.

And BNW:

He sings

A Brave New World
A Brave New World
A Brave New World
A Brave New World

when it was originally:

(Bruce)
A Brave New World
(Audience)
In A Brave New World
(Bruce)
A Brave New World
(Audience)
In A Brave New World

So they mess up the lyrics with it as well!

I bought it today. It sounds very good, it's just a very good live album. A shame though, you can hear the 'cut & paste' thing so good, sometimes/

But then again, it's very good [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

But for example The Clansman is totally messed up by the cut & paste.

Well, I'm gonna get that Dynamo 2000 bootleg, so I will hear almost same playlist without any edits.

Try and find the better version of the Shepards Bush 2001 gig (either night) because they play Out Of The Silent Planet and The Fallen Angel-both were never officially recorded.

Make sure you find the good version though, which is an average audience, so it's not great quality.  Gig's brilliant though!

Cool! Fallen Angel is one of my favourites, I think it's better than The Mercenary.

Me too.

Out Of The Silent Planet's my favourite track on the album though, so I wish I'd been at the Shepard's Bush gigs, to hear both tracks live!

Didn't find Shepard Bush, but I did find:

Brave Argentina

01 Intro/ The Wickerman  
02 Ghost Of The Navigator  
03 Blood Brothers  
04 Sign Of The Cross  
05 The Mercenary  
06 The Trooper  
07 The Evil That Men Do  
08 Fear Of The Dark  

CD 2
Track Title Time
01 Iron Maiden  
02 The Number Of The Beast  
03 Hallowed Be Thy Name  
04 Sanctuary  
05 The Fallen Angel  
06 Out Of The Silent Planet

Great!

That one is a radio broadcast, so it's worth hearing!

The problem is that some tracks are missing.  And some versions have the DJ talking after every other song.
Shepards Bush isn't such good quality, but it's a UK performance, which is often said to be the best for Maiden gigs (but then I'm biased [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

Back