Ripping the videos from the 1998 Enhanced CDs

srfc

Ancient Mariner
I'm trying to rip the videos* from all the 1998 CDs.

Usually this should be easy to do, you can copy and paste the files in file explorer. I can do this on the first album, Piece of Mind, SSOASS and No Prayer.

However, for the rest of them, the folder the files should be in is empty. Anyone got an ideas?

* I realise that they are only very poor quality videos but I'm a completeist.

My suggestion might be silly but how about either ripping the whole Visions of the Beast DVD with DVDShrink or downloading the HQ videos from YouTube, using any kind of YTtoMP4 software or web page?

No your suggestion is perfectly sensible, in fact I have all the videos ripped from the Maiden Youtube page already (some of the live videos aren't on the Maiden YT page though).

The problem is that I am too nerdy for this. I want to have the remastered album ripped with a rip of the video content exactly as it is on the cd :lol:

Could someone please check their own 1998 CD's for me, so I can work out whether the issue is with my PC rather than the CDs. If you right click on your D: drive and "click open folder to view files", there should be a folder called "more" among those listed and within that folder there's another one called "media". There should be some .mov files in that folder. My issues is on some of the CDs the folder is empty.

Could someone check FOTD please? That's an album that has an empty folder for me.

Hey mate! How are you doing? Many, many years ago I did what you're trying to do and I have all the videos ripped directly from the CDs. I seem to remember that if you put the CD on and open it in explorer you will see the video file and then you can just copy it. In any case, if you don't manage to do it, write me a pm and we can sort it out together

Cheers mate,

I'm going to see if I can rip the videos on my work pc tomorrow, if that doesn't work expect to get a pm from me :lol:

@srfc

d:\more\media>dir
Volume in drive D is SOMETIME
Volume Serial Number is 21A6-276A

Directory of d:\more\media

07/24/1998 04:06 PM <DIR> .
08/10/1998 11:00 PM <DIR> ..
07/07/1998 07:45 PM 224,389 ani.mov
07/15/1998 06:01 PM 341,877 bomb2.mov
07/22/1998 09:04 PM 5,539,579 morph.mov
07/06/1998 03:37 AM 40,733,862 stranger.mov
07/05/1998 06:52 PM 27,466,718 wasted.mov
5 File(s) 74,306,425 bytes
2 Dir(s) 0 bytes free

d:\more\media>

Around 2010 there was a codec package called "QuickTime Alternative" present in the codec packs of the day (CCCP, K-Lite) that does the trick with ancient Apple on modern players.

I also have all the promos up to AMOLAD in better quality than on Enhanced CDs, but worse than HD reuploads on Maiden's YT channel. I know it's kind of half arsed venture but ripping off YT at the moment would yield best quality promos. I can share what I have.

I know exactly where I was both 5th and 6th of July 1998 :) For a long time we thought it doesn't get any better but then 2018 came. Do not spend your time searching for those Wasted Years ;)

I also have all the videos from AMOLAD, I do think they look very good. Don't remember what programmed I used though.

As a matter of fact I have every video that they have released as enhanced or similar.

Thanks @Zare and @Luisma

I should have posted in this thread to close the topic, but I actually got them all ripped pretty much at the time I posted the thread, I found a program called iso buster that does the trick. It also helped out getting a video off a bootleg that wouldn't play anymore.

And yes, they are all terrible quality on those 98 videos! :lol: BQOBD in particular is awful because FOTD is the longest album at that time, there wasn't enough disc space left on the cd for the enhanced content to be any good

As a matter of fact I have every video that they have released as enhanced or similar.

Do you have the original video for the single of Hallowed Be Thy Name Live where the audio is from a Real Dead One, I can only find the one with the audio from Donington?

I think I remember the menu system and the layout a little bit from those multimedia enhanced CDs....but that's about it. Did they actually contain anything of interest? The videos are just the music videos right or did they actually contain some unseen footage?

No nothing really of any note, but you've got to remember in 1998 PCs were fairly shit, I think mine had 3 gb of disk space and god only knows how little memory so if there had been anything worthwhile on them most people would have struggled to access it

No nothing really of any note, but you've got to remember in 1998 PCs were fairly shit, I think mine had 3 gb of disk space and god only knows how little memory so if there had been anything worthwhile on them most people would have struggled to access it

There might have been some interviews or live stuff on there that I didn't remember. Did the animated (Chaos?!) alternative videos for Flight of Icarus and some others originally come from the 98 Enhanced CDs?

For the 80s albums only promos and images from the booklet were present.

There might have been some interviews or live stuff on there that I didn't remember. Did the animated (Chaos?!) alternative videos for Flight of Icarus and some others originally come from the 98 Enhanced CDs?
No, they only contain the regular promovideoes, a small biography about the album (Most of, if not all of that content comes from the Run to the hills book) and photo galleries

The 2002 re-edition of the Run To The Hills single (Part I) did come with Camp Chaos version of the video. And the
2005 re-edition of the Number Of The Beast Single also had the camp chaos version of the title track of the single.

Now that I think about it, is strange they didn't add the Camp Chaos version of The Trooper when they reissued the single in 2006

Back