Rime of the Ancient Mariner

How good is Rime of the Ancient Mariner on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Just wondering what your favourite live version of this masterpiece is your favourite?

Mine would have to be from the Austrian show early on in the tour.

Ya know, I was all set to listen to this song again and be underwhelmed, to admit to the naysayers, "Yeah, you're right, it's just ok." Admittedly, it's been awhile since I've listened to the whole thing, so, who knows? They could be right...

Nope. It's awesome.

I really envy 22. He gets to hear all this for the first time, and has those joyous months ahead of him where Maiden entirely consumes him.

No one's even directed him to the b-sides yet. If he's in the Powerslave period, he should be experiencing Mission From 'Arry.

Word. Mission From 'Arry yes but don't forget Rainbow's Gold and King of Twilight. Some of the best b-sides I feel :)

Great playing on both :)

Those bass runs on Twilight :eek:

Mission From 'Arry gets a 10/10 from me on accounts for being hilarious.

To be honest, I've never been fussed about Maiden's covers. They just exist, and are harmless enough, but I don't really pay attention to them.

I love, love, love the covers they did up through the 80s and the 90s. Great hearing the band having fun and trying out different genres and covering stuff in their own style as well as showing respect to bands that inspired them: Zeppelin, Tull, Nektar, Montrose, TheWho etc etc.

Also I like hearing for example how their Powerslave studio setup sounds like covering other types of music. That stuff is just interesting to me.

Once he's gotten through the 90s we can direct him to Mission From Boston.

Some great musician's recording this!

ROTAM, loved it since day one. However the riffs always reminded me of a HBTN meets Phantom blend. Brilliant song not suffering from repetition.

I'd give it a 9 on the Maiden scale.

A great journey, and great storytelling. A real epic song. The breakdown is supercool with the lines from the original rime. The buildup that follows and the solos are one of Maidens best.

There is something that don't totally click with me, can't say what it is, but I have to give this one a 9. But I still love the song.

9/10

One of the greatest metal songs on earth.
Like it from first to last second. It can't be boring for listening. Solos, harmonies, melodies, riff, lyric...
10/10

10/10. What's not to love about this one?! Maiden's longest song up until 2015!! The mid section is very interesting and a great listen. I've always been surprised by how perfectly Maiden pulls it off live.

Without a doubt, one of the best metal songs ever recorded. The lyrics, vocals, guitars, solos, adventure, intrigue - what's not to like?!

10/10

This song, Holy Wars and Metropolis Pt.1 are best metal songs for me, everything you need is there, epicness, great vocals, solos, melody, arangments, riffs...

Back