Rime Of The Ancient Mariner vs. The Talisman

Which is your favorite?

• Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Votes: 65 81.3%
  • The Talisman

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Rime for me as well.  As much as I like The Talisman, and I do, it's not even in the same league as Rime.  To me Rime has better structure, more interesting riffing, superior vocals and a more atmospheric "throway" section (ie the middle vs Talisman's beginning).

The Talisman is my 2nd favorite from the TFF but Rime of the Ancient Mariner is my all time favorite Iron Maiden song so my vote is obvious.

I choose Talisman, but of course love Rime. I based my criteria on this - if either of them came out on an album today, which would I go more ga-ga for? I'd say Talisman, because the bit in the middle of Rime, while integral to the song, makes it to me more like a symphony (second movement) and less a coherent song. More like Karn Evil 9, with distinct phases. As a whole song, I say Talisman is better. I love them both though and would put them top 10

Of course, I'm listening to Dance of Death as I type this, so the driving beat might prejudice me toward TT!

Eddies Wingman said:
Jeff said it. The Talisman is a good song, but Maiden have done two better songs about sailing the seven seas. Rime is my favourite Maiden song, and Ghost of the Navigator is top 25 material. TT is good but doesn't make the top 30.
Perfectly said.  ROTAM is my Fav Maiden song.  TT is a great song too!!

Great thread. Picked Mariner but Talisman is an absolutely fantastic track too and I really did have to listen to both multiple times to choose.

I've never thought Rime was THAT good, but The Talisman is clearly inferior imo.

The worst part about the bump is that Diesel might see this.
Oh believe me, I already have. Problem is, Paschendale is one of the (currently 18) songs that I like more than The Apparition.

Back