• Depends on the bandmember

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Depends on the replacement

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Imagine this situation: a member of Iron Maiden can't tour because of health/law/family problems. Tour starts in a week and the band decides to find a replacement to fill-in for the missing member until he can return. Would you go to the concert and support the band, or you think "it's not REAL Iron Maiden without that member"?

I opened this thread because in the last few months some bands decided to go on a tour without one member, for example: Kamelot with Fabio Lione instead of Kahn, Anthrax with Andreas Kisser instead of Scott Ian, Slayer with Gary Holt/Pat O'Brien instead of Jeff Hannemann etc. I saw a lot of comments on Slayer situation, like, Slayer isn't Slayer without Jeff, I won't go to the concert and so on.

I would go and support the band in every situation, except if someone I don't like replaces Bruce...
I added a poll :cheers:

Depends on the band member. I wouldn't mind if they replaced Janick on a tour, but I think I'd have a problem with seeing maiden without Bruce. But really I'd rather not have them go without any member.

Joe Satriani could fill in for any of the three amigos. I wouldn't mind (temporarily that is).

If it was one of the three amigos, then they would still be able to manage with just two. But if Steve, Bruce or Nicko couldn't preform then they wouldn't even tour. The only people that should be playing maiden songs live at a maiden concert, is maiden, not replacements.  And of course I would still watch them live and support them.

As long as Steve's still there. Steve Harris is Iron Maiden. Everyone else is replaceable.

I'd always go, but it'd be extremely weird without Steve or Bruce. Any other member I could understand easier.

Forostar said:
I'd always go, but it'd be extremely weird without Steve or Bruce. Any other member I could understand easier.
After more thought, I decided that I agree. I would just hope the other members would get good replacements.

Of course I would go.  Watching/listening to any combination of the band minus 1 is better than not being there.  Without Bruce would be hard.  Without Steve would be not Maiden.  But I'd still go to catch the act, hell yes.  I think we all WOULD go.  If the question is "should the band go on tour without 1 member?" that is different. 

I've tried but I just don't care for the stuff they did with Blaze but I do like the clansman and sign of the cross. I think the albums they did with Paul are alot better. I would go if they replaced Bruce with Paul. I think it would be great to hear him sing those old songs with Maiden again. Other than that I wouldn't go if they replaced Bruce.

Janick injured himself during the Blaze era and, though Jan was still able to gig, Davey had to do all the solos until he got well again. I'd be okay with this. Bruce being replaced has proved disastrous in the past, actually I'd hate to see any of the other guys replaced.

Stallion Duck said:
Depends on the band member. I wouldn't mind if they replaced Janick on a tour, but I think I'd have a problem with seeing maiden without Bruce. But really I'd rather not have them go without any member.
This.

snake plissken said:
Janick injured himself during the Blaze era and, though Jan was still able to gig, Davey had to do all the solos until he got well again.

whhhaaaatttt ? :eek:

any videos ?

snake plissken said:
Janick injured himself during the Blaze era and, though Jan was still able to gig, Davey had to do all the solos until he got well again.

Hmm, interesting, don't remember that. Which gig was it? I'd love to hear a bootleg of this gig: Dave doing Janick's solos!? Really, really interesting!

I know of these three occasions and consequences (not nice for members of the Adrian Smith church):

Adrian not present in 1999 (death of his father): gig(s) continued without him.
Dave injured in 1999: gig(s) cancelled
Janick injured in 2000: 2 gigs cancelled/rescheduled.

My conclusion:
The 1999 tour (classics and a few nineties songs) could be done without H, but not without Dave.
The 2000 tour material largely consisting of BNW, a few nineties and some wellknown classics couldn't be done without Janick.

snake plissken said:
Janick injured himself during the Blaze era and, though Jan was still able to gig, Davey had to do all the solos until he got well again. I'd be okay with this. Bruce being replaced has proved disastrous in the past, actually I'd hate to see any of the other guys replaced.

Source, please?

Back