Remaining album covers/stage production ideas

soundwave

Educated Fool
I know this has been bantered about before, but I was wondering what else the band could do with Eddie if they make another record (it's sad to think that BOS might be the last). Of the themes that they haven't done yet, I was thinking:

Ancient Japan/Samurai Eddie
I think this could be a really cool album cover that would lend itself to some very thematic liner notes/lyric sheets for the album booklet, and create a cool backdrop for the stage production (pagodas, Japanese calligraphy etc...) Eddie on stilts could come out in full Samurai gear for one of the tunes (and of course, we would need a lengthy Harris epic centered around that topic for the album highlight!) I know that the band sort of touched on this with Maiden Japan, but this would be a full on Powerslave style production (immersive stage/booklet/album cover).

Road Warrior/Mad Max Eddie
A desert apocalypse with Eddie driving a mad max style interceptor on the front cover. Stage could have oil drums, tires, barbed wire etc.... I think I like this one less than the one above, but it would be interesting as it would be a little bit different than some of the usual Fantasy/Sci Fi Tropes that the band has done. Not sure how Eddie would come out on stage...

Lovecraft/Film Noir Eddie
This is a bit abstract, but I could see a Lovecraft horror inspired cover with Eddie as a private investigator chasing a Cthulhu (or would it be vice versa?) I would be interested to see what an artist would do with that concept, and it might create some cool song ideas. Only thing is that other bands have attempted something similar, so maybe the band would be less likely to try it. Not sure what the stage setup would be.

Any others? Most of the obvious have been taken after 15 albums!

There could be the Businessman Eddie, but then people could think it's Megadeth or something...

I could see a water theme. Like, Eddie being some kind of shark/whale/scuba diver, whatever.

Lovecraft/Film Noir Eddie
This is a bit abstract, but I could see a Lovecraft horror inspired cover with Eddie as a private investigator chasing a Cthulhu (or would it be vice versa?) I would be interested to see what an artist would do with that concept, and it might create some cool song ideas. Only thing is that other bands have attempted something similar, so maybe the band would be less likely to try it. Not sure what the stage setup would be.

I'm not entirely sure that I like those two ideas together (Lovecraft's tales have nothing to do with film noir/private detectives which took popularity at least 10 years after his last published story), but separately they could both be great.

Lovecraft Eddie would be incredibly abstract and harken back to the Seventh Son Eddie more than anything. Lovecraft's beasts where generally described as unimaginable horrors with many eyes, tentacles, swirls of maddening mist and wind and black ichor, etc. etc. so creating such an image would probably result in the most terrifying, bizarre Eddie we've ever seen.

Noir Eddie would be cool as hell, if only to see a black and white Eddie. I feel like this Eddie would harken back to the old days of the first couple albums, only in B & W with a nice hat, cigarette, glass of scotch, etc. Could be very cool indeed and definitely something completely different.

Lovecraft Eddie would be incredibly abstract and harken back to the Seventh Son Eddie more than anything. Lovecraft's beasts where generally described as unimaginable horrors with many eyes, tentacles, swirls of maddening mist and wind and black ichor, etc. etc. so creating such an image would probably result in the most terrifying, bizarre Eddie we've ever seen.

I want a Lovecraft Eddie!!! A Nyarlathotep- or Shub-Niggurath-Eddie, if possible, please. :D

I want a Lovecraft Eddie!!! A Nyarlathotep- or Shub-Niggurath-Eddie, if possible, please. :D

Nyarlathotep would actually be perfect, considering he was originally described in human form as being vaguely Egyptian-looking. So you could use a rendering similar to Powerslave Eddie for the face and then have some bat wings poking out from behind a long trenchcoat, with all the tentacles spilling out underneath.

Aged Eddie. Walking frame, but still giving the finger

Would be perfect for a retirement announcement Christmas card!

Noir Eddie would be cool as hell, if only to see a black and white Eddie. I feel like this Eddie would harken back to the old days of the first couple albums, only in B & W with a nice hat, cigarette, glass of scotch, etc. Could be very cool indeed and definitely something completely different.
Actually, according to an interview of Steve in a French magazine, one of the ideas for the illustration of what was to become NPFTD was Derek Riggs's representation of Eddie as James Bond, the album being then aptly named 008.

I'm not entirely sure that I like those two ideas together (Lovecraft's tales have nothing to do with film noir/private detectives which took popularity at least 10 years after his last published story), but separately they could both be great.

Good point on the separation between the two, and your noir depiction sound cool as hell. Sort of dark comic book vibe. Get Rod on the phone!

IM%20CHICAGO.jpg

P1010603new.JPG

These two official prints are in that direction. Gangster/noir Eddie works pretty well.

While searching for the Nyarlathotep Eddie (since I can't get the idea out of my head), Google spat out these:

iron_maiden_by_dconway-d3jelsq.jpg

43f3df6ed544836b451f6f609a1faa64.jpg

The first one being kind of what you guys talked about, the second being my other favourite - Crusader Eddie :D

Kudos to the authors.

EDIT: Ah, Sixes beat me to the "noir" Eddie.

All of those are great, never seen them! I'd love to see Gangster Eddie put in black and white and swap the machine gun for a small revolver and a P.I. office.

Also, Crusader Eddie is the shit!

I'd love to see Gangster Eddie put in black and white and swap the machine gun for a small revolver and a P.I. office.

Yeah, it would be nice, however, thinking about it a bit more, I'm not sure whether it wouldn't give a bit too much of an Adrenaline Mob vibe, much like the DoD/DotR idea kind of reminded some people of Children of Bodom when it came out (I've seen some complaints).

Also, Crusader Eddie is the shit!

I know, right? "...at the gates and the walls of Montségur // Blood on the stones of the citadel..." :edmetal:

The Crusader Eddie is definitely not official. Never seen it before. But it's very cool :) The drawn Eddie looks inspired by the Stranger in A Strange Land single cover. Which also has a Clint Eastwood/gangster/noir vibe to it..

Yeah, it would be nice, however, thinking about it a bit more, I'm not sure whether it wouldn't give a bit too much of an Adrenaline Mob vibe, much like the DoD/DotR idea kind of reminded some people of Children of Bodom when it came out (I've seen some complaints).

But I'm saying shy away from the whole "gangster" vibe. Noir does not inherently mean gangster. Maybe a P.I. and a Femme Fatale - the return of Charlotte!

Back