Reflecting on 2015 as a Maiden fan

What are you talking about, Cried? Nuno Gomes retired in 2013... :innocent:
See what i mean? I'm portuguese and i didn't even knew he was already retired :facepalm:

Although Ariana could be a portuguese/brazilian name, so..........................

I'm very happy they finally got to release a great new album, with great reviews and chart listings, and of course having Bruce back in good shape after that horrible cancer crap that could have done worse..

Well for me the best thing was that Bruce recovered and the band are still going strong. I really was worried at one stage that Bruce's illness would spell the end of them. My fear being that even if he beat it the illness would have took so much out of him that he would feel he could no longer commit to the band.

So the fact that I had a new album to listen to (and what an album it is!) and a tour to look forward to was just awesome. To wake up on New Years day and think "bloody hell I'm going to see Maiden this year" made me feel very emotional to say the least.

Haha. I didn't need Google for Valente. As well as being obsessed with all things Maiden, I am a long-suffering Everton season ticket holder !

Haha. I didn't need Google for Valente. As well as being obsessed with all things Maiden, I am a long-suffering Everton season ticket holder !
LOL cool man, but i must say it's pretty cool to see portugal being recognized internationally

2015 was definitely a year of up's and down's for Maiden fans. Firstly and most importantly of course was Bruce's recovery; I mean, look at the end of the year and beginning of this, that same awful disease took Lemmy and David Bowie.

Touring really does seem to be Maiden's stronghold - I love the theme tours they do like 2014's Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour revisit. The album tours then offer a different setlists, it's a great way of doing things.

The album wasn't so much disappointment as I knew what it would sound like; while I do prefer it to the previous three (DOD, AMOLAD, TFF), as a musical work compared to both their own catalogue and that of peers or contemporaries, it does fall short (my opinion only). The chronically lenghty songs without the creativity or skill to justify such running times; perfect example for me is 'Empire' - could be cut by 2/3's and not miss any of the repeated musical motifs or themes.

Production an issue also, perhaps time to get someone other than Kevin Shirley, the last 5 albums are very much interchangeable without much sonic personality of their own.

Back