Recession got you down?

MoonStone said:
I can't complain, I can still make a decent living with half my salary...

Now that's a good job MoonStone !!

provided I drastically cut down all purchases in dollars, i.e., software, books, dvd's, etc.  As you may know, the exchange value dollar/Mexican peso has dramatically increased.

I've cutten up these expences a long time ago, I have to help my mother and my girl friend, so I don't bother to DL
or borrow a book from a friend

MoonStone said:
I'm really biting my nails for my older brother who just lost his job and has to struggle with two teenagers who want to study in Germany.

Your brother can still consider himself lucky that his kids chose Germany. I'm currently doing research because I want to continue my studies elsewhere when I got my degree here, and it looks like Germany is one of the cheapest places in the world to study. Tuition fees are 500 Euros per term, which is an absolute joke compared to most other places, and some parts of the country don't have fees at all! Moreover, if you don't want luxury you can get a place to live for 150 Euros per month.

I am not worried about myself. I am worried about people without jobs. Their number will increase.

Seeing as in the summer I'm starting my obligatory military service (Finland has conscription), I'll be able to live for a year on the wing of the government no matter how bad the recession gets.  Hopefully the situation will have gotten better by next year, then I'll be looking to move out of my parents' house; I'd hope housing prices would be cheaper then too.

Perun said:
Your brother can still consider himself lucky that his kids chose Germany. I'm currently doing research because I want to continue my studies elsewhere when I got my degree here, and it looks like Germany is one of the cheapest places in the world to study. Tuition fees are 500 Euros per term, which is an absolute joke compared to most other places, and some parts of the country don't have fees at all! Moreover, if you don't want luxury you can get a place to live for 150 Euros per month.

Well, that's really good news!  Maybe that's why my nieces chose Germany.....and there was no need for my to worry so much...
Quetzalcoatlus said:
Now that's a good job MoonStone !!

Yes, the plan is not so bad after all and I can still count with my partner's $upport....

Perun said:

The Nordic countries are also extremely cheap, as at least Finland and Sweden have no tuition fees at all, and I think this applies to the others too.  Sweden especially has some very prestigious universities, and Swedish is not very hard to learn (especially if you speak German), unlike Finnish.

Invader said:
Seeing as in the summer I'm starting my obligatory military service (Finland has conscription), I'll be able to live for a year on the wing of the government no matter how bad the recession gets.  Hopefully the situation will have gotten better by next year, then I'll be looking to move out of my parents' house; I'd hope housing prices would be cheaper then too.

Beware of wandering Russians.

IronDuke said:
Where are you from, Wolf? BC and northern New Brunswick are both "logging" areas that've gotten hit hard lately.

There was just a report on the evening news that sales of craft beer (aka micro brews) are skyrocketing in Canada, while other alcohol is staying the same. I guess people see good beer as a "treat" they cna afford in hard times.

I'm living in BC, more specifically Vancouver Island.

I am also one of those Canadians who drinks craft beers instead of mainstream brands. The quality is so much better, tho I must admit I haven't been buying as much beer lately. To me it's more about quality than quantity.

Wolf said:
I'm living in BC, more specifically Vancouver Island.

I am also one of those Canadians who drinks craft beers instead of mainstream brands. The quality is so much better, tho I must admit I haven't been buying as much beer lately. To me it's more about quality than quantity.

Amen!!!!!  I live in an area where its all about drinking cases of shitty piss tasting watered down beer.  Not worth my dollar. 

Anyway, I think it was Albie (sorry if I'm wrong) that said these recessions come every dozen years or so.  True enough.  Basically, I'm finding a way to weather it and just wait for the 'good times' to come back again... which they will.  funny, I am noticing that people are still buying dvd's, watching satellite tv, and eating out.  It isn't good, don't get me wrong, but it isn't horrible.

I've been hurting since they decided I can no longer buy Kokanee out here.  It makes me so very sad.

Thank you Onhell, take a bow. The recession officially doesn't apply to you anymore either.  :bigsmile:

On that note, I wonder what armed forces recruitment levels are like these days in the USA, Canada, and Europe?

The pay is pretty good, you get full medical/dental/drug coverage, you get a roof over your head, and enough food to sustain you. A young person (let's say 18-28 or so) could see joining the Navy/Army as a pretty good way to ensure a steady job in these trying times.

Anyone heard any news about enlistment numbers?

All branches of the US Armed Forces are exceeding their monthly recruiting goals. This has actually been the case for some time now. I know many European nations have mandatory service requirements for young adult males (that are not pursuing professional degrees I believe); these service times range from about 18 - 36 months depending on the country (again, I believe that is close to right). They then have the option to continue their military service on a voluntary basis.

One of my exes just left the army on medical and is joining the Air Force (long story) and another ex is joining the Navy because they were more interested than the Air Force....

Plesiosaur said:
I know many European nations have mandatory service requirements for young adult males (that are not pursuing professional degrees I believe);

The majority of European nations are without mandatory military service, and their number will grow.

This source might not be 100% reliable but still we can have an idea.

Mandatory:
Albania (conscription will end completely at the beginning of January 2010 and the forces will become all-professional)
Austria
Belarus
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
Germany
Greece 
Norway
Russia
Serbia
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine (planning to switch to a professional full-time army and abolish conscription about 2010. Minister of Defense announced that last conscripts will be drafted at the end of 2010.)

Not mandatory:
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czech Republic
France
Hungary
Republic of Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Luxembourg
Republic of Macedonia
Montenegro
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
United Kingdom

No defense forces:
Andorra
Iceland
Liechtenstein
Monaco
San Marino
Vatican City

Forostar said:
Mandatory:
Sweden

Technically yes, but in actual practice very few people do it. It's pretty much voluntary, as it's easy to get out of it if you don't want to do it. In fact, the small number of available spots means that a lot of people who want to do military service don't get to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the current system is replaced with voluntary service in the future.

For the record, I will not do military service, and I'm very happy about that.

I remember being shocked as hell when I found out places like Germany and Sweden had conscription. I'm actually in favour of mandatory national service of some kind for Canada (ie the first year after you leave school is spent in the army (but not overseas) or some sort of civilian charity corps)

LooseCannon and I have discussedthis at length - not a bad idea at all. It might give kids some structure and focus they were otherwise lacking, as well as an assured job for their first year of "real life"

IronDuke said:
It might give kids some structure and focus they were otherwise lacking, as well as an assured job for their first year of "real life"

It depends of the country -if the state gives you enough money for that is ok.
But if you are 1.000 km from home, and your parents have to sent you money like if you were a student
for what 'real life' we speak ?? Let alone the corruption and injustice inside : It's a huge loss of your time
even worst : it's the most vulgar joke I've ever seen /been part

I'm 100% against mandatory service -if you want to get into real life, find a job.
Why to be obliged to do it ?

Quetzalcoatlus said:
I'm 100% against mandatory service -if you want to get into real life, find a job.
Why to be obliged to do it ?

Because some people can't get their arses up themselves. I know that from observance. I know people who didn't do military or civilian service and didn't do anything for ten years. I know that some sort of mandatory service would have helped them, however.
I for one am very happy to have done a civilian service.

Back