Random trivia

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Name the differences between Persia and Iran -what are the (rough) differences in the words, the geography, the history and ethnology?
[/quote]

The Ancient Persian Empire contained Persia (roughly modern Iran), Mesopotamia, the Middle East , what is now Turkey, parts of what are now Pakistan and Afghanistan, and (I think) part of Egypt. This is the Persia fought by the Greeks at Thermopalae and Salamis.
Alexander the Great smashed this empire, and upon his death the Seleucid dynasty gained prominance. Persia was now shrunken to roughly Iran's borders.
Islam rapidly was in Persia, although Zorostrianism held out for a long time.
When the Mongolians invaded, they laid waste to nearly every town and city in Persia.
After the First World War, there was a coup in Persia. The Shah was over thrown and Reza Pahlevi gained power. He officially changed the country's name to Iran.

the word "Iran" has at it's root the Indo-European (the ancestor of most European and West Asian languages) word for 'beautiful', much like Ireland/Eire. (The 'ir' sound)

This is all off the top of my head, so I bet I missed alot of stuff.

That's a good geographical description. But where is the (nowadays mostly historical) difference between an Iranian and a Persian?

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Persia (roughly modern Iran)[/quote]

That is not quite right; by our modern understanding Persia and Iran are identical, but in the meaning of the word, they aren't.

[!--QuoteBegin-Le Hibou - The Owl+Jul 10 2004, 03:25 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Le Hibou - The Owl @ Jul 10 2004, 03:25 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The prison was one of the few structures made of stone. When he was in prison, the volcano erupted, destroying everything around. I think he was then the only survivor. [/quote]
Very good. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] That's right of course.

Perun, You must have misunderstood your question.

I think I explained the difference. Iranian= post WWI Persia

If that's not right, let the world know!

Ok, Stranger is not the only one with hard questions here's one: Why are Mormons NOT considered Christians?

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think I explained the difference. Iranian= post WWI Persia

If that's not right, let the world know![/quote]

There is more difference than that. Historically, the Iranians were part of the Indo-European group, which spread from Scandinavia to India. The Iranians were the branch that settled down in what is no Iran, Afghanistan and some parts of Central Asia. The Iranian group was subdivided into several people, some important ones being the Medes (who settled down in northern Iran), the Bactrians (Afghanistan), the Parthians (northeastern Iran/Turkmenistan) and the Persians. Nobody knows for sure where the Persians first settled, some believe in eastern Kurdistan, but by 700 BC they were to be found in what is now the Fars province in southern Iran (around Shiraz). The name "Fars" derives from the word "Parsa", which is Persian for... well... Persia. Historically, this was the only region to be named Persia; what is now Iran was originally subdivided into many territories of many people, most importantly Medes and Persians. The Achaemenian empire was never just "Persia"; even the Greeks recognized this. The misconception that all of Iran was Persia comes from Roman times, when there was a more centralistic government in the Sasanian Persian empire, and the royal throne was in Mesopotamia (modern-day Iraq). Nevertheless, they did consider Persia/Parsa/Fars to be their homeland, and later generations only gradually forgot this. They never called the political construction Persia/Iran was later to become as "Persia", but as "Iran". They always knew "Persia" was just a part of it. That's why the nationalist movement of Reza Shah Pahlevi insisted on the country being called "Iran".
Geographically, Persia/Fars is still only a part of Iran; but there is no longer a difference between the people; Iranians and Persians have become indistinguishable. The Iranian population of Iran (as opposed to the Arabic, Turkish etc) is called "Persian" to avoid confusion, but they could as well be called "Medes".

Of course, I didn't expect such an in-depth answer, but since nobody seems to know this, I thought I'd educate you a little on the way [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 14 2004, 04:50 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 14 2004, 04:50 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Ok, Stranger is not the only one with hard questions here's one:  Why are Mormons NOT considered Christians?[/quote]
Because their doctrine is not only based on the Bible but also on the Book of Mormons translated by their founder member Joseph Smith ( himself considered as a prophet).

The Christians' doctrine is only based on the Bible

Am I right or is there more ?

I always considered Mormons to be Christians. Their doctrine, as far as I know, is that Jesus Christ is the son of God. They use both the Old and New Testaments, like other Christian sects, but they also have the Book of Mormon, supposedly written by Joseph Smith. Notice that it is officially called "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ". Sounds Christian to me!

What sets Mormons apart is that they believe Christ visited North America after His crucifiction and ressurection. The Amerindians are supposedly descended from the 10 lost tribes of Israel.
There's a bit more to it than that, but it's the general idea.

In short: Anyone who worships Jesus is a Christian, regardless of how many extra books they may or may not have.

Duke, you're reminding me of that really scary Mormon that was in our Grade 12 physics class.

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Jul 14 2004, 02:41 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Jul 14 2004, 02:41 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]In short: Anyone who worships Jesus is a Christian, regardless of how many extra books they may or may not have.[/quote]
Now we know Iron Duke's opinion. But as the official one is the Vatican's opinion that's why Mormons are not considered Christians.

Because the Mormon belief is founded on the book of Mormon and not the Bible?

A Christian is a follower of Christ. A Mormon is someone who belongs to the Church of Latter-Day Saints whose authorities are both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. As far as I'm aware, anyone whose authority is the Bible is a follower of Christ so I don't see why Mormons wouldn't be considered Christians.

You are all right and wrong. That they believe in the book of Mormon doesn't mean they are not Christian, also, that They believe Christ visited the Americas is not it (I even think it could happen). However There is Something all MAJOR Christian denominations believe (Orthodox, Catholic,Lutheran, Calvinist, Baptist etc.) That Mormons Don't... HINT: it has to do with God's Nature/presentation... hmm hope that helps. hehe

Hmm...I should know this one. I even watched an episode of South Park about it. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Because of what God said in the Genesis ( "Let us make man in our own image, after our likeness"), they think that God has a body and is tangible like a human being.

They also think that after they die they will be resurrected both spiritually and bodily which by definition is reincarnation not resurrection and a main difference with Christians belief ( for whom only the spirit will be resurrected).

I wasn't looking for that but that is true too. To be more exact they believe that when they die they become God themselves. I'll give it to you guys cause this one is a real tough one.

The answer I was looking for was: Christianity is MONOTHEISTIC meaning they believe in ONE God. God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit/Ghost are ONE...the Trinity. However Mormons believe that God the Father and Jesus are Seperate entities yet they don't deny Jesus Devine Nature Meaning they believe in TWO Gods ( I think they also think the Holy Spirit is a Seperate entity making them Tritheistic)...Not one, hence they are not Christian.

Here's a literary question:

Evelyn and George never met each other but they carried on writing until late in their lives. It was said that Evelyn loved George, but she was in any event too old for him. George married in 1880. He converted to Catholicism in 1930. During WWII, he served with the Royal Marines and the Royal Horse Guards. Partly in recognition to that, Evelyn's subsequent writing analyzed the character of WWII along with the struggle good and evil.

Evelyn died in 1966 near Taunton in Somerset. She had achieved notoriety for her unconventional lifestyle and views. Her first full-length novel had been published back in 1859. She is buried at Highgate Cemetary. He died at the age of 62 after publishing an autobiography in 1964. He lived a year longer than she did? How can that be so?

Wow! You guys know lots of stuf! I never liked to think of these really hard questions, because usually i didn't find the answer and then i saw how stupid i was. Realizing that youre stupid isn't very nice. [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back