Random trivia

No, and no. But you've got the right decades - one film is from the 1950's and the other is from the 1970's.

Hint: a man who won an award from the 1970s film died before the Oscar ceremony, and is one of the few actors to win posthumously.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Jun 11 2004, 10:55 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Jun 11 2004, 10:55 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]

Hint: a man who won an award from the 1970s film died before the Oscar ceremony, and is one of the few actors to win posthumously. [/quote]
One of the few? That's scary actually. Network though... Fine film, after I saw it I had nightmares for weeks. I WAS MAD AS HELL AND I WASN'T GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 11 2004, 07:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 11 2004, 07:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Um......A Streetcar Named Desire....and....Network? [/quote]
Correct. Your move, LC. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Muahahahahaha!!!

Outside of the US Civil War, what date was the deadliest in US history?

My guess would be D-Day (6/6/1942). How many died storming that beach?

The way you phrased your question reminded me of a Groucho quote:
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Actually, more US Paratroopers died on D-Day than did members of the 4th US Division. The unexperienced C-47 pilots dropped them all over the place - including into forests and flooded plains, where they drowned. The "spread" was 25 square miles, with stray landings up to 10 more miles away from that.

Hah, you're right, of course. A lot of places I posted this question got the answer September 11th, 2001. That ranks as a deadly day...but D-Day, Kasserine Pass, Pearl Harbour, and the first day of the Battle of the Belleau Woods are all significantly more deadly.

Back to movie questions, then.
Who are the two actors who were awarded Best Actor at the Oscars but refused to accept the award?

(While the Oscars, like any awards show, have had their share of bad choices for awards, these two actors fully deserved Oscars - the performances in question are two of the greatest acting performances ever filmed.)

[!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] No. Not exactly. In fact, not even close!

Simple. One of the most talented actors of all time, Marlon Brando, refused to accept it to protest for Native American rights. He sent a young native woman to give a refusal speech but it turned out she was actually white.

The second was one of my favourite actors in one of my favourite movies of all time: George C. Scott in Patton. Scott refused the award because he detested the man Patton.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 13 2004, 02:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 13 2004, 02:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The second was one of my favourite actors in one of my favourite movies of all time: George C. Scott in Patton.  Scott refused the award because he detested the man Patton. [/quote]
Wait a second... He hated Patton, yet PLAYED him in a movie, and later REFUSED the oscar for his performance for hating him? that is flat out wierd...

Role of a lifetime? They begged him to do the role, and if you've seen the movie, you know he was magnificent.

Well, I am of course, correct. So. Hmm.....

Rome's greatness can be measured as ending at what battle, the first major defeat of Roman armies since the Battle of Cannae against Hannibal?

Correction to LooseCannon's answer:
I don't know about Scott's opinion towards Patton, but the reason that he refused the Oscar (as he publicly stated countless times) is that he hated the very idea of awards shows. He called it a "meat market" and a "popularity contest" and stated that two actors couldn't be compared to each other fairly unless they had been playing the same role. He was consistent about this throughout his life; he refused every award he was ever offered.

Also a clarification: the movie for which Brando won and then refused the Oscar was "The Godfather".

Scott said that as well. I'm not sure if it's both. He did hate Patton, severely. I bet that didn't help matters.

I'm guessing it was against the "Barbarians" Atilla by any chance? Or was it the Goths who first invaded the collapsing Empire? Hannibal was when the Empire was Growing so any other major defeat had to be at its end right? RIGHT?

Back