Random trivia

That one's a little harder, since it can depend on personal opinion. The song which (as far as I've seen) usually gets that title is Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild", though there are also significant numbers of people who say it's either Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" or Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues".

In my personal opinion, those songs are all just proto-metal; they're heavy, but not completely metal. I would personally say the first real metal song was "Black Sabbath".

If Stranger had any of those songs in mind, I'll let him judge if my answer counts as being right (since I effectively took 4 guesses).

In honour of D-Day:
Name the five beaches the Allies landed at on June 6th, 1944.

Bonus points for knowing what countries landed where, what the operation was called, and what man was in direct command of the beachhead.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Jun 5 2004, 09:27 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Jun 5 2004, 09:27 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Skid Row was the first, Metallica and Guns N Roses the other two.
(Been watching VH1 lately, Onhell? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

[/quote]
You bet your ass I have! Good Metal trivia on that show! as for the bitches... errr beaches: 1. Normandy... and yeah.. that's one! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

other Beachs are: Juno Beach, Gold Beach,Utah Beach(or something like this) and I think the last one is Sword Beach.
But i don´t know how the Operations were called

The operation was called overlord. The americans landed on utah and omaha beaches. The britsh on gold and sword. The canadians on juno beach.

But i have no idea who the comander was.

Well, General Dwight D. Eisenhower was appointed as the Supreme Commander of the operation in December of 1943. I think the question is answered so here is a new one:

What is the approximate year that the oldest surviving guitar was made?

The ground commander at the beaches was Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery. Ike didn't take command until later. Even then, he was a strategic commander, not a tactical one.

I had a feeling that I was wrong. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I just wanted to ask my question. Speaking of which, if the answer isn't given in 24 hours from this post, I will reveal the answer.

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Jun 6 2004, 10:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Jun 6 2004, 10:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] What is the approximate year that the oldest surviving guitar was made? [/quote]
somewhere around 1590, i think.
Ah, i just cant think of any good questions..
When exactly (year is enough [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) trash metal started?

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Jun 6 2004, 08:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Jun 6 2004, 08:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]What is the approximate year that the oldest surviving guitar was made?[/quote]
What kind of guitar ???

If it 's the classical guitar I think the prototype of the classical guitar was built in the late 19th century. The guitars before were different (some of them had only 4 strings or different soundbox)

The first electric guitar was built in 1930 or 1931 and it was called the "Frying Pan".

ZaddraS's answer was correct. It's believed that it was made between 1580-1600.

Answer for ZaddraS's question:
It started in 1981 in the San Francisco Bay area by bands like Metallica and Slayer who played in clubs. The first thrash album was released in '83 though.

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Jun 8 2004, 10:33 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Jun 8 2004, 10:33 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Answer for ZaddraS's question:
It started in 1981 in the San Francisco Bay area by bands like Metallica and Slayer who played in clubs. The first thrash album was released in '83 though. [/quote]
Yeah, the firsst album was released in 83 but the trash metal (if im not mistaken) started earlier than 81. Try again.
(Im 75 % sure that im not mistaken)

Zadrras, pinning down the start of a musical style without referencing a specific song or album is very hard. Musicians are influenced by each other, and new styles evolve from older styles. If you're meaning to ask "What year did some then-unknown band evolve into a style that, years later, was called thrash" then that's almost impossible to answer.

I'd say Stranger's answer of 1983 is correct because Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy were the first albums that were actually termed "thrash metal" at the time of their release.

[a href=\'http://www.allmusic.com/\' target=\'_blank\']All Music Guide[/a], a very informative and authoritative site, lists NO thrash or speed metal artists before Metallica, Slayer and Mercyful Fate. Bands like Diamond Head which influenced thrash were (and are) still considered part of the NWOBHM, not creators of a new style.

At least that's my .02 - I'd still be interested to hear what you think the answer should be.

It's very hard to pick who originates a specific genre of music. Especially sub-varieties of a major type. Most people will lump thrash, operatic, death, and black metal in with heavy metal. Just as a lot of people would lump the various pop-types in with each other.

[!--QuoteBegin-ZadrraS+Jun 8 2004, 08:44 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ZadrraS @ Jun 8 2004, 08:44 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Yeah, the firsst album was released in 83 but the trash metal (if im not mistaken) started earlier than 81. Try again.
(Im 75 % sure that im not mistaken) [/quote]
Reality is Venom was the first thrash\black metal which was the late 70's... and the first really death Metal band was Helhammer

Back