Random trivia

[!--quoteo(post=130325:date=Mar 2 2006, 09:06 AM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 2 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]130325[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Is it something we'd have to research or can we find it out by guessing? (This is almost like the Yes/No answer game [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /])
[/quote]
You might need some research.

[!--quoteo(post=130360:date=Mar 2 2006, 12:31 PM:name=LooseCannon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 2 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]130360[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Three of them started off as regional banks and grew to be federal banks? (Scotia, TD, BoM?)
[/quote]
No, but you're on the right track.

I'll offer a hint, because it seems this question killed the topic:

Think of where and why the banks could have been founded.

[!--quoteo(post=130594:date=Mar 4 2006, 02:52 AM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 4 2006, 02:52 AM) [snapback]130594[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'll offer a hint, because it seems this question killed the topic:

Think of where and why the banks could have been founded.
[/quote]
Were they founded by Irishmen or other immigrants who moved to Canada as they wanted to bank among themselves?

[!--quoteo(post=130613:date=Mar 4 2006, 06:54 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 4 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]130613[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Were they founded by Irishmen or other immigrants who moved to Canada as they wanted to bank among themselves?
[/quote]

Nope...but that's a reasonable guess!

Hmm... The Toronto Dominion, Bank of Montreal and the Bank of Nova Scotia weren't founded in Toronto, Montréal and Nova Scotia?

I guess this was just too obscure.

The Bank of Nova Scotia, Canadian Imperial bank of Commerce, and Royal Bank of Canada were all founded in the city of Halifax, Nova Scotia in the early 19th Century. Why? The city was the chief entrepot for pirate (technically privateer) gold and other goods "liberated" from American ships. So much wealth flowed into the city (only 60 years old at that point) that they neded to establish banks to hold it.

Dalhousie University, one of the premier institutions in Canada, was established with funds from these privateers.

Alright, back to some basic trivia now.

Name the closest living relative of this beast:

hippopotamus.jpg

LooseCannon? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Charming fellow you are [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

My brother-in-law, Walter.
And before you say I'm wrong, let me just say: you haven't seen Walter. That really does look like him. ::

OK, which living being that is not a homo sapiens is the closest relative to the beast in the picture ::

I was hoping nobody would give that answer. I know it is technically correct, but in regular language, the pygmy hippoptamus is also refered to as a hippopotamus.
So while LC gets the merit of answering the question, I will rephrase it to "aside from any homo sapien and the pygmy hippopotamus, which is the closest living relative to the beast in the picture?"

Sorry for the inconvenience, and let this be the proof that LC is a bigger smartass than myself [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Well, I don't know exactly how you measure closeness of relation between species. If it is by percentage of shared genetic material, then I have no clue. But if it is by standard zoological taxonomy, then I would guess some form of swine. Pigs and hippos are in the same order. But there are also other animals in that order and within it, I don't know who's closer to whom.

So here's my guess:

babebc4.jpg

That's what I was looking for, macunaima! Good work [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

That's what I said! It's LooseCannon! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

*looks closer at the picture*

Well, maybe not. Although they're both really cute! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Ok, my turn...

Identify the subject of my avatar and tell me what he is known for. There are a number of different possible answers here as he is famous for a number of different things -- any significant accomplishment will do as an answer.

Is it the guy who is currently 4th in your last.fm list? I think he looks familiar as a portrait of a classical composer anyway ::

Back