Random trivia

Excuse my ignorance here, but how is a professional championships defined here? A championship in which all competitors are professional, or a championship in which prize money is awarded?

A team playing in an organized league in which the sport constitutes the players' full time employment.

i.e. the NBA, NHL, MLB, those European soccer leagues, etc.

And there is a team that can top Rangers' record of 51 championships? That is impressive.

I have to admit I am out of serious ideas on this (without doing a bit of googling).

OK, this maybe deemed as correct (The Montreal Canadiens being the most successful professional sports team in history), but how does their haul of trophies better Rangers?

According to Wikipedia, they have won, overall, 53 trophies (24 Stanley Cups, 8 Conference Championships and 21 Division Championships). And they also cite them as "the second most successful professional sports club in all of North American sports history."

Wikipedia also claimed the most successful sports team in North America is New York Yankees. But even their haul was only 79 (26 World Series titles, 39 AL Pennants and 14 East Division titles).

Rangers have won 107 trophies (51 league titles, 31 Scottish Cup, 24 Scottish League Cups and one Cup Winners Cup in Europe).

I will agree, that to win the Scottish league is a lot easier than to win a tougher league (like the Premiership in England, Serie A in Italy or la Liga in Spain), but you can only beat what is laid out in front of you. And on that note, the honours won by Real Madrid are also worth mentioning - 90 trophies (including, amongst others, 9 Champions Leagues, 29 Spanish league titles and 2 UEFA cups). And judging by the opposition they would have met, that is some tally.

First of all, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source for ANY information on ANYTHING. Period.

And the above information is misleading, beacue the Conference championships and American League pennants aren't considered the top prizes of the sports - you have to win those in order to compete for the ultimate prizes - the Stanley Cup and the World Series.

Before we pick up a fight, here's a new question.

Some contemporary reference works such as Orbis Latinus : Lexikon lateinischer geographischer Namen des Mittelalters und der Neuzeit (GOL) list Latin names of contemporary cities and countries such as Novum Eburacum (New York), Iaponia (Japan) or Berolinum (Berlin). Why is this still relevant in the modern world?

IronDuke said:
First of all, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source for ANY information on ANYTHING. Period.

And the above information is misleading, beacue the Conference championships and American League pennants aren't considered the top prizes of the sports - you have to win those in order to compete for the ultimate prizes - the Stanley Cup and the World Series.
Point taken. But I have provided a (genuine non-wiki) link to Rangers' records and honours that states they have won 107 trophies (domestic and Europe) three of the four competitions they have won trophies for are considered major honours (the lesser one being the Scottish league cup but only by virtue of it been devalued in recent years by teams not taking it seriously, like fielding an understrength team). I'm not necessarily fully disputing your original question, it's just that I'm not yet convinced that The Montreal Canadiens are more successful than Rangers (in terms of championships won). If I could be proved wrong, I'll shut my gob. ;)

Albie, your point is well-taken. I just have a BIG beef with the stupidity that is Wikipedia.

Perun, I'm not positive, but does it have something to do with the world-wide use of Latin binomial nomenclature?

Is it because some books are still translated into Latin (for example, I know Harry Potter has been), and therefore any places not discovered by the Roman Empire or places founded since need to be given a Latin equivalent, if they're mentioned in any such book?

If it's not necessarily books, could it be simply atlases that are translated into Latin (or am I going of in a different direction to NA's right one)?

Is it so that cartographers and geographers from different countries will be able to talk about the same actual town/place/etc without misunderstanding each other? Sort of like all animals, plants and so on have latin names?

IronDuke said:
Gotta disagree here. Strongly.

Is Wikipedia absolutely reliable on every topic, or every little detail? No, of course not.

Is Wikipedia sufficiently reliable for, say, serious academic research? No, of course not.

Is Wikipedia generally accurate about most topics? Yes, they most certainly are.

If I need some general information about a topic I've never encountered before, Wikipedia is the first place I turn. I'm well aware it's not sufficient for full information, and that many articles sadly present personal opinions as facts. However, an astute reader can generally separate fact from opinion easily. And most Wikipedia authors are genuinely trying to provide accurate information.

So the Duke is only *partially* correct. Wikipedia IS largely reliable, though if you need to be 100% sure you should also read other sources.

Anomica said:
Is it so that cartographers and geographers from different countries will be able to talk about the same actual town/place/etc without misunderstanding each other? Sort of like all animals, plants and so on have latin names?

No, not at all. You left the track again ;)

per, your hint seems to suggest it has something to do with rail travel, but I can't fathom what it might be. (Probably something disgustingly simple)

My final guess, and it's actually pretty reasonable by my standards: The Catholic Church still uses Latin often enough, and they like to be able to talk about all the places in the world in which they are active.

IronDuke said:
My final guess, and it's actually pretty reasonable by my standards: The Catholic Church still uses Latin often enough, and they like to be able to talk about all the places in the world in which they are active.

Close enough. Documents of the Catholic Church are still written in Latin, and since there are dioceses in areas that were not known in antiquity or the middle ages, modern place names of course need to be translated into Latin.

Back