Random trivia

Duke, there are hardly any North Americans on this board, and I don't think many people here care much for statistics.

I am North American.
I am also a math major, specializing in statistics.

However, I don't know the answer, and I'm not going to cheat and Google it.

So I ask for a hint, in this form:
Is the name "obviously" French - for example, does it start with "Le" or "D' " or some similiar construction which is clearly of French origin?

After all, I'm sure many French names could be mistaken for English by people like me who have almost no knowledge of the French language.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--] Is the name "obviously" French - for example, does it start with "Le" or "D' " or some similiar construction which is clearly of French origin?[/quote]
Yep.

[!--quoteo(post=134236:date=Apr 6 2006, 09:08 PM:name=syl)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(syl @ Apr 6 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]134236[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Le Roy
[/quote]
And I guess the oddity of it is that is used as a first name rather than a surname? (Leroy Burrell) And as a first name it is more popular than any French Surname?

Well, it looks like noboy will get it. So here's the answer:

LeBlanc. What's odd is that every single LeBlanc can trace their ancestry to a single individual who immigrated to Acadia (Nova Scotia) in the 1650s

[!--quoteo(post=134354:date=Apr 8 2006, 02:33 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Apr 8 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]134354[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well, it looks like noboy will get it. So here's the answer:

LeBlanc. What's odd is that every single LeBlanc can trace their ancestry to a single individual who immigrated to Acadia (Nova Scotia) in the 1650s
[/quote]
He must have been busy back in the day [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134361:date=Apr 8 2006, 11:47 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Apr 8 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]134361[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
He must have been busy back in the day [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Apparently he had something like 12 kids who surrvived into adulthood (not uncommon in Acadia), and they were all sons who could carry on the family name.

Know what I have to say to that? There's one person on this forum that could have possibly known the answer to that question.

It would be like me posting a D&D rules question.

[!--quoteo(post=71104:date=Jun 9 2004, 09:21 AM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Jun 9 2004, 09:21 AM) [snapback]71104[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Zadrras, pinning down the start of a musical style without referencing a specific song or album is very hard. Musicians are influenced by each other, and new styles evolve from older styles. If you're meaning to ask "What year did some then-unknown band evolve into a style that, years later, was called thrash" then that's almost impossible to answer.

I'd say Stranger's answer of 1983 is correct because Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy were the first albums that were actually termed "thrash metal" at the time of their release.

All Music Guide, a very informative and authoritative site, lists NO thrash or speed metal artists before Metallica, Slayer and Mercyful Fate. Bands like Diamond Head which influenced thrash were (and are) still considered part of the NWOBHM, not creators of a new style.

At least that's my .02 - I'd still be interested to hear what you think the answer should be.
[/quote]

Overkill!

Formed in 1980 and in 1981, Wrote a song called "Grave Robber's", Which later became "Raise The Dead" (Check their debut) several months before Metallica's "Hit The lights"....Even though Overkill didn't really break into the thrash scene until the second wave, They can be considered as one of the first to set it in motion.

I reckon they let the pear grow inside the bottle. If they (they? who is they?) attach the bottle over the pear seedling (or whatever) at the end of the branch (or, again, whatever) and let the pear grow naturally. I guess enough air will come through the neck of the bottle to help, but sure enough it will get enough light.

With wording like that, you can tell I'm no biologist!

Back