Random trivia

I guess it's macumania's turn then... make it a good one [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

I haven't been following the game until now. Since I got one right, I decided to look back over some of the questions and answers to get an idea of how it works before I posted my first question. I must say I was very impressed by the level of the questions. On how many heavy metal MB do you think you'd find a trivia game where the answer to one of the questions is: einsteinium, gallium, promethium and Indium?

Well, I don't think my first questions will be up to standard...but hopefull it won't be my last and I'll get better at this. So here it goes.

Who are these three guys and what do they have in common?

lock1.jpg

berk1.jpg

hume1.jpg

This might be a little too difficult. I'll start giving hints after 24hrs if no one seems to be on track. On the other hand, the third guy should be the easiest to identify.

They all look like they have something to do with the colonization of the Americas.

[!--quoteo(post=129700:date=Feb 24 2006, 04:50 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]129700[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
They all look like they have something to do with the colonization of the Americas.
[/quote]

You've got the time period correct. But to my knowledge none of them had anything to do with colonization.

On the other hand, the first of the three did have some influence on the foundations of American Government.

oops. was that a hint?

[!--quoteo(post=129704:date=Feb 24 2006, 05:01 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]129704[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hobbes?
[/quote]

Close. But he's not as much of a pessimist as Hobbes.

[!--quoteo(post=129707:date=Feb 24 2006, 05:07 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]129707[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Locke!
[/quote]

Yes! Two to go...and an explanation of the connection.

[!--quoteo(post=129712:date=Feb 24 2006, 05:24 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]129712[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The second one looks like an Anglican.
[/quote]

Which is good evidence that he was.

another hint

[!--quoteo(post=129714:date=Feb 24 2006, 05:33 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]129714[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Are we in a Puritan context here?
[/quote]

No.

[!--quoteo(post=129716:date=Feb 24 2006, 06:00 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]129716[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
John Locke, George Berkeley and David Humes are the three most prominent English names connected to Empiricism.
[/quote]

That's right. I was hoping for a short, pithy characterization of Empiricism (instead of a link), but it'll do.

Your turn.

How did you figure it out? You seemed lost at first and then all of a sudden...

[!--quoteo(post=129721:date=Feb 25 2006, 12:15 AM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Feb 25 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]129721[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
How did you figure it out? You seemed lost at first and then all of a sudden...
[/quote]

Well, your hint put me on the right track, and the only one I'd associate with Hobbes would be Locke. Then I thought it would have to do with Puritanism, but as you said, I was mistaken. So, I pulled some of my books from the shelf and looked up on English history, which didn't help at all. Then I simply looked up what my Propylae World History had to say about Locke, and he was mentioned in the same sentence as the other three, giving mention they were the main developers of Empiricism. Next thing I did was simply entering the other two names into Google search to verify, and bingo [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

What do these countries have in common:

cze19010.gif

austria.jpg

Gro%C3%9Fherzogtum_Finnland_1812-1917.PNG

I'm looking for three basic facts.

I think the first one is the Czech Republic or Slovakia or whatever its called nowadays. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]
The second is Austria and the third is Finland.

I suppose the connection is something simple. Like EU connection or something.

[!--quoteo(post=129778:date=Feb 25 2006, 04:06 PM:name=Pineapple Hunter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Feb 25 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]129778[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think the first one is the Czech Republic or Slovakia or whatever its called nowadays. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /][/quote]

Nope.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]The second is Austria and the third is Finland.[/quote]

Yes.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I suppose the connection is something simple. Like EU connection or something.
[/quote]

Nope [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Is it something to do with the Winter Olympics... maybe all three have lost events in the final stages or something?

Nope. Look carefully at the maps. Is there not anything odd about two of them?

Back