Random trivia

Which film held the box office record in Great Britain before Star Wars broke it in 1977?

Cool question. I have no clue to be honest. I am thinking of a British film. Perhaps a Bond film?

The Man with the Golden Gun ?

It was Gone With The Wind in the US, but I doubt that movie was as big a hit in England. Maybe Bridge On The River Kwai?

Nope, completely off.

I am thinking of a British film.

Correct.

Perhaps a Bond film?

Not at all.

Jaws or The Godfather maybe? They were both big worldwide. Not sure about UK specifically though.

Nope.

You guys are all thinking in the completely wrong direction. It may in fact be a film you didn't even knew existed. Maybe you can try guessing it anyway by figuring out what type of film it is.

Which film held the box office record in Great Britain before Star Wars broke it in 1977?
And it was definitely a British film that held the UK box office record prior to Star Wars? I'm struggling to think of a huge British film pre-1977 that would have held the UK record over the various massive US films that would have been big here too...

Are you talking money or admissions?

EDIT: Incidentally, just to be picky, now that I'm reminded of some research I did (a few years back) into Star Wars on Super 8mm --it was only released in the UK in late, late December; after Christmas if I recall. Whoever it knocked off top spot, it happened in 1978! :ok:

Last edited:
It was absolutely positively a British film, and I'd be surprised if you ever heard of it or saw it. I'm talking about admission.

Whoever it knocked off top spot, it happened in 1978!

That's well possible. Here's a little hint: The film held the top spot not for a few years, but for several decades.

To my knowledge, it was only ever released in the UK during its cinematic run. It is now widely available on DVD though.

Back