Random trivia

Yes, it's Holland, apperently a bit underestimated on this forum. ;)

According to the World Trade Organisation's latest trade report (over the year 2008) this is the top 5 ranking:

1. Germany (exports: €1,465bn)
2. China (exports: €1,428bn)
3. USA
4. Japan
5. The Netherlands (exports: $634bn)
(source)

So, how the hell did the Netherlands reach that 5th place?

collected info from wiki:
-------
The Netherlands has a prosperous and open economy in which the government has reduced its role since the 1980s. Industrial activity is predominantly in food-processing (for example Unilever and Heineken International), chemicals (for example DSM), petroleum refining (for example Royal Dutch Shell), and electrical machinery (for example Philips).

The Netherlands' location gives it prime access to markets in the UK and Germany, with the port of Rotterdam being the largest port in Europe. Other important parts of the economy are international trade (Dutch colonialism started with cooperative private enterprises such as the VOC), banking and transport.

The rivers Meuse and Rhine provide excellent access to the hinterland upstream reaching to Basel, Switzerland and into France. In 2006, Rotterdam was the world's seventh largest container port in terms of Twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU) handled. The port's main activities are petrochemical industries and general cargo handling and transshipment. The harbour functions as an important transit point for bulk materials and between the European continent and overseas. From Rotterdam goods are transported by ship, river barge, train or road. In 2007, the Betuweroute, a new fast freight railway from Rotterdam to Germany, has been completed.

A highly mechanised agricultural sector employs no more than 4% of the labour force but provides large surpluses for the food-processing industry and for exports. The Dutch rank third worldwide in value of agricultural exports, behind the United States and France, with exports earning $55 billion annually. A significant portion of Dutch agricultural exports are derived from fresh-cut plants, flowers, and bulbs, with the Netherlands exporting two-thirds of the world's total. The Netherlands also exports a quarter of all world tomatoes, and one-third of the world's exports of peppers and cucumbers.

In the north of the Netherlands, near Slochteren, one of the largest natural gas fields in the world (Netherlands is presently the world's fifth-greatest natural gas exporter) is situated. So far (2006) exploitation of this field resulted in a total revenue of €159 billion since the mid 1970s. With just over half of the reserves used up and an expected continued rise in oil prices, the revenues over the next few decades are expected to be at least that much.

Schiphol, the Amsterdam airport, is the fourth largest in Europe.

-------

By the way, I haven't seen the latest WTO report myself, and I am curious about other countries. So, I might get back to that.

When I was reading all this stuff I was also quite amazed.

And Obama invited Holland for the G20 summit (while we're not even a G20 member).

I must confess that our international role makes me a bit proud.
;)

You're next pilau, if you wish.

Oops! I forgot to specify how many! Well, the limit for the question is the world's THREE largest suspention bridges! :)

I've been thinking too, and the only one that comes to mind is Golden Gate.  But I don't think that is.

I know the Humber bridge in NE England goes on forever and I seem to recall it being the longest suspension bridge until quite recently. Other than that, I'm clueless.

LooseCannon said:
I've been thinking too, and the only one that comes to mind is Golden Gate.  But I don't think that is.
The SF Bay Bridge is actually longer than the Golden Gate, so I'll guess that.  It's actually made up of multiple spans, with an island in the middle.  So, a question for pilau:  are you referring to bridges made up of multiple spans, or the longest single spans?  If the latter, Golden Gate has got to be up there. 

Woah, I never imagined it to be so tough.
Actually, when I researched for the bridges, I didn't know there were such multiple span bridges, and so I guess any suspended bridge counts. Besides that, the Golden Gate bridge isn't even in the top five ;)

Verrazano Narrows Bridge in NYC is the longest in the US, and 8th in the world. Almost a mile long.

So I'm guessing it's the US, and the Golden Gate is another of the 3.

The Japanese Akashi-Kaikyō Bridge, the Xihoumen Bridge, in China, and the Danish Great Belt Bridge.

With 1,991, 1,650 and 1,624 metres, respectively.

Since the refered Chinese bridge is not open to traffic until the next fall, i will include on this list the Runyang Bridge, also in China. With 1,490 metres long.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Verrazano Narrows Bridge in NYC is the longest in the US, and 8th in the world. Almost a mile long.

So I'm guessing it's the US, and the Golden Gate is another of the 3.

Haha, SMX, something weird about your logic :D

Reumeren, you are right! Congrats! Your prize is having a go at your own trivia question!

This one could be easy for most Maiden geeks, but I don't mind:

Which Iron Maiden song is the only one ending with a fade out (and I mean: the whole band continues to play, so not just some fading guitar).

Back