Random trivia

Okay I would like to get back to the airplane on a treadmill problem for a short discussion. The original Mythbusters experiment was conducted using a small prop plane, and that worked, because the propeller pushes air back to the wings which creates the pressure differences etc. etc. But! If we use a jet plane, the experiment fails, because the engines push the air behind the wings, thus no Bernouli effect will occur (the plane isn't moving in relation to the air, remember?) and no lift will be generated. No lift - No takeoff!

That's it for today kids ;)

Put these albums in the right order when it comes to sales in the USA (don't search on internet, just guess!):

Rush - Moving Pictures (released: 12 Februari 1981)
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast (released: 29 March 1982)
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance (released: 17 July 1982)
Metallica - Kill 'em All (released: 29 July 1983)

Metallica - Kill 'em All
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Rush - Moving Pictures

Perhaps?

I'm going to disagree with all of you, because Moving Pictures was a very popular album in the U.S., which is the biggest market.  I agree that Kill 'Em All sold a lot, given what were probably substantial catalog sales after the band became huge in the early 90's.  As between the remaining two, it's a toss-up in my mind -- again, Judas Priest got a lot more MTV and radio airplay in the U.S., and thus probably sold many more copies initially than NotB, so the question is whether NotB caught up over time due to catalog sales.  I'll say no, so my guess is:

1.  Moving Pictures
2.  Kill 'Em All
3.  Screaming for Vengeance
4.  Number of the Beast

cornfedhick said:
I'm going to disagree with all of you, because Moving Pictures was a very popular album in the U.S., which is the biggest market.  I agree that Kill 'Em All sold a lot, given what were probably substantial catalog sales after the band became huge in the early 90's.  As between the remaining two, it's a toss-up in my mind -- again, Judas Priest got a lot more MTV and radio airplay in the U.S., and thus probably sold many more copies initially than NotB, so the question is whether NotB caught up over time due to catalog sales.  I'll say no, so my guess is:

1.  Moving Pictures
2.  Kill 'Em All
3.  Screaming for Vengeance
4.  Number of the Beast

Correct:

1. Moving Pictures -> 4.00x MULTI PLATINUM -> date: January 27th, 1995
2. Kill 'Em All (Metallica) -> 3.00x MULTI PLATINUM -> date: March 9th, 1999
3. Screaming for Vengeance (Judas Priest) -> 2.00x MULTI PLATINUM - date: October 16th, 2001
4. The Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden) -> PLATINUM - date: October 2nd, 1986

(source: riaa.com)

As we can see, the platinum for NOTB was more than 22 years ago... who knows it will be double platinum soon (same goes for some other mid eighties albums)?

Postscript:  I looked at Foro's link, RIAA.com, and it has a convenient list of the 100 biggest-selling albums of all time.  Notably, two "hard rock" albums are in the top 5 all-time: Led Zeppelin IV (#3) and Back in Black (#5).  FYI, #1 is The Eagles' Greatest Hits, #2 is Thriller and #4 is The Wall.  An alarming number of country-and-western albums near the top, too. 
LooseCannon said:
Rush *is* awesome.
Well, apart from being Canadian.  :bigsmile:

Someone has to civilize the great untamed wilds beneath us.  Those someones: Alex Lifeson, Neal Peart, and Geddy Lee.  Godspeed, gentlemen.

I have to admit, I put Rush at the bottom as I did not think that Moving Pictures was as big an album as it was - for some reason.

Another one: Which album has sold best in the USA?

The Who - Tommy (released: 23 May 1969)
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (released: 21 July 1971)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (released: March 1972)
Rush - 2112 (released: February 1976)
Dire Straits - Dire Straits (released: 7 July 1978)
Genesis - Abacab (released: 18 September 1981)
Queensryche - Empire (released: 20 August 1990)
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (released: 14 July 1992)

Shoot! :)

Initially, I would have said Dire Straits - but it was Brothers In Arms that really was the biggie (I believe). So I will go for:

The Who - Tommy
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Queensryche - Empire
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Rush - 2112
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Genesis - Abacab (I have no idea where to place this as I had no idea this album even existed)

I know (or believe to know) that Countdown To Extinction made no 2 in the American charts, so that's my take.

Megadeth is a good guess -- I think that albums in the 90s generally sold better than albums in the 80s or 70s (due in part to stores like Best Buy selling CDs below cost, but that's another thread).  Given the crossover strength of Silent Lucidity and Jet City Woman, I'll guess Empire.  Full disclosure: I did look up Empire on iTunes to see what tracks were on it, not being a big Queensryche fan.  This time, I'm relatively certain that Rush's album isn't the answer. 

My take is:
Genesis - Abacab (album with Phil Collins on lead vocals I presume ('81))
Deep Purple - Machine Head
The Who - Tommy
Dire Straits - Dire straits
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (this one was a minor hit, although one of their popular albums. I would say this one is in the last place in the 'most-popular-sabbath-albums' list)
Queensryche - Empire
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (one of their more accessible albums, but I can't stand it)

Cornfed is again correct!

Empire (Queensryche):  3.00x MULTI PLATINUM
All the other albums:  2.00x MULTI PLATINUM

I thought this was a more difficult question, since those other albums seem way bigger (at least to me).
In Europe the result would be totally different I guess, and I'd love to do such questions about succes in Europe (or rather worldwide). No clue how to do that.

So it could have to do with the 90s? Interesting.

Forostar said:
Empire (Queensryche):  3.00x MULTI PLATINUM
All the other albums:  2.00x MULTI PLATINUM

I could never have predicted that  :innocent:
I guess it's time to go and listen to Empire, isn't it?

Back