Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 1 7.1%

Votes: 4 28.6%

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jupz

Ancient Mariner
Sorry about the 3-day wait instead of 2, my last exam is tomorrow and I haven't really had time, but after this everything will be good :)

Anyway, this song is my second favourite from IV and probably in my top 10 Led Zeppelin songs. I much prefer this soft, folky style to many tracks on III. Much of the song focuses on vocals, and Robert Plant puts in a good performance, with some nice vocal melodies. I quite like the middle earth series of books and so I can enjoy the lyrics. The song has an almost ethereal atmosphere, and I like the production sound. Overall, a nice song, not as good as some of the previous choices for Song of the Day, but I feel a very underrated song that gets overshadowed by others on the album - a much more balanced, calculated acoustic sound than was used on III, and I feel it would have got more recognition had it been on the earlier album.

7.5/10 (voted 8 :p)

:yawn:

O man. While trying to resist the instant boredom, I am also having a hard time bearing such immensely exaggerated moaning (which unfortunately happens to be the singing).

*Imitates one of the vocal lines*:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Put a sheep (complaining about the food it gets) behind the mike, and I won't hear the difference.

I hated this track when I first discovered IV 30 years ago.
All folky, and moany and medieval, and hardly typical of what I usually like, but it has really grown on me.
It's very simple but atmospheric, and I often find it unexpectedly on my brain later in the day.
Seven.

Another good song and unexpected selection, thanks Jupz.
And I'm glad you're joining these conversations Foro. Always provocative stuff, even though I often disagree.

Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if I should be so outspoken, though.
Anyway Jupz, hope you don't mind. I appreciate your input, and written text.  :ok:

Forostar said:
:yawn:

O man. While trying to resist the instant boredom, I am also having a hard time bearing such immensely exaggerated moaning (which unfortunately happens to be the singing).

*Imitates one of the vocal lines*:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Put a sheep (complaining about the food it gets) behind the mike, and I won't hear the difference.
LOL

But I agree 100%.

(I think that I'll always remember the sheep comparison when I hear this song :D)

2/10 'cause it's funny :)

One of my favourite Zeppelin numbers. Great, mystic atmosphere and beautifully melodic stuff. I'm usually not so very much of a fan when Zep get folky, but this time they hit the bull's eye with it.

Maybe I should point that the vocal parts that are being criticised here the most (i.e. the "waaa" part) aren't by Robert Plant, but by Sandy Denny, a renowned British folk singer.

10/10

I always thought that this song brought the otherwise glorious side 1 of the Zoso/IV album to a screeching (literally) halt.  For that reason, I think I dislike the song more than I would if it weren't fucking up what could have been the greatest album side in the history of rock and roll.  Plus, it wouldn't be nearly as annoying if the song were only half as long -- six minutes is absurd, and an obvious attempt to "fill" the album side to the appropriate length.  On its own merits, the song is probably a 5, but given that it irritated me in junior high by forcing me to fast forward my cassette tape to Stairway all the time, I give it a 3.  Nevertheless, an intriguing and welcome choice by Jupz. 

Perun said:
Maybe I should point that the vocal parts that are being criticised here the most (i.e. the "waaa" part) aren't by Robert Plant, but by Sandy Denny, a renowned British folk singer.

I am sure Plant had his share as well. :)

Cornfed Hick said:
if it weren't fucking up what could have been the greatest album side in the history of rock and roll.

Cornfed Hick said:
given that it irritated me in junior high by forcing me to fast forward my cassette tape to Stairway all the time

Love reading these parts!  :D

I too, was turned on to Led Zeppelin when I was in junior high school. My buddy and I would go to his place after school and crank up our KISS albums on his older brother's big Pioneer stereo. Big brother came home early one day and gave us hell for touching his pride and joy, and then proceeded to ridicule us for our slavish devotion to KISS. He began to explain quite vehemently why we were wasting our time listening to "that shit" and that if we loved rock n roll as much as we professed, Led Zeppelin should be the band we turn our attention to. After sharing some of his stash with us (it was the late seventies after all), he then put Zep IV on the turntable and told us that this, and every Zeppelin album should be listened to in it's entirety, because that's how the band intended it to be listened too...
I've almost always followed that instruction when listening to this band, and maybe that's why I have such a huge appreciation for their recordings. I've had to let some of their material grow on me, but at the end of the day, I can say that with the exception of Coda, each Zeppelin studio album, and each song on them, are masterpieces.
Iron Maiden is, was, and always will be my favorite band, but Led Zeppelin is the one I respect the most.

Great post Taker! Very interesting to hear the mixed responses here. Didn't realise so many people hated it! :)
And I find your opinions interesting to read Foro :D

If I had to choose one word to describe this song it would be beautiful, I'm not to keen on the lyrics, but the vocal melodies and the way they harmonize and progress is what makes this song great for me. The song has a very delicate quality in it's sound, having said that for me it evokes a very powerful positive emotional response, One of my favourite songs off IV, nice choice Jupz!, 10/10. 

Not sure about this one, it's good but - well, I sort of don't rate it at the same time. It's down the middle for me. 5/10.

Back