Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jupz

Ancient Mariner
This is my favourite Dio song (from his solo career), and I'm startled it didn't reach the top 10 of the Dio survivor. It has a sense of power to it that reminds me of Powerslave. Great riffing and soloing, and some of Dio's great vocal melodies are featured here. As usual, Dio comes up with some interesting lyrics. Fantastic song. Its in my top 100 songs, so that qualifies a 10.

Sorry about the short writeup, I'm having a bit of a mind blank right now  :blush:

Lets find the Sacred Heart!!!  :shred:

Well I read the title and thought, that's a good one. Started thinking of the tune, hummed it a bit, and thought "here it comes again, straight through your heart" and I thought, wait a second, wrong song!  :blush:

So yea, I had to listen to it again. It does kind of sound like Powerslave. It's got a great drive to it. And I like the chorus. The thing about Dio, is he never seemed to do really fast rockers. They are all steady and I like those songs more than the fast ones. I like the guitar solo, and the guitar work in general. It also manages to go 6 minutes without getting boring. It isn't my favorite Dio song (I'd say that would be Egypt) but it is definitely a top 5. 10/10

Dio has his fair-share of these epic, mid-paced tunes.
This is another one.

Sorry, that kind of sells it short. I like it, but rarely go out of my way to play it.
It's a solid song lessened by a too-sweet keyboard sound and the fact that it is measured against songs like Heaven and Hell.

Did anyone else out there see the Sacred Heart tour?
When they played this one a big green dragon came out and Ronnie killed it with a sword.
No dwarves or mini-Stonehenges though  :D

mckindog said:
It's a solid song lessened by a too-sweet keyboard sound
That's kind of Dio's thing though isn't it? (This is only based on the first 2 albums)

To me it can be measured against Heaven and Hell, its only about 10 spots lower than it on my top 100 songs list :)

Mosh said:
That's kind of Dio's thing though isn't it? (This is only based on the first 2 albums)

Sacred Heart (the album) pushed the keyboard up a notch in the mix over the first two in my view, and the sound of the keys is nodding towards what mainstream FM radio was playing in the mid-'80s — stuff like that era's Foreigner and Heart

Oh.  :puke: to the eras of the two bands you mentioned, especially the former. But that song wasn't that bad. I've also heard Rock N Roll Children and Hungry for Heaven and those weren't that bad either. IMO Mystery is much worse compared to those songs as far as keyboards go.

On what? Mystery? The first time I heard it, I thought, not another Bon Jovi song! (I was watching the VH1 Metal block) And it was Mystery. There is something wrong with that imo. It's a good song, the keyboards ruin it.

Oh, yea I don't mind it either. It feels natural to me.

The keyboards on one of Dio's most popular songs are the sweetest (and cheesiest!)

Rainbow in the Dark

Really good! I like Dio best when he's on catchy, melodic songs. But he also did a few more epic ones (Sacred Heart being one of them).  Egypt I find his best, but then follows a league of other strong songs, either epic, either catchy (Mystery included).

This one is a great epic. Love the build up in the guitar solo.

mckindog said:
Did anyone else out there see the Sacred Heart tour?
When they played this one a big green dragon came out and Ronnie killed it with a sword.

Damn right I did!!  It was great fun.  Saw it in Kansas City at an amphitheater on a hot summer night.  The dragon was a little ridiculous, but hey, I was a nerdy 15-year-old, I thought it was awesome.  He didn't just use a sword, as I recall it was a sword of light (and even had a cord attached to it).  Even more absurd was the tour t-shirt, which had RJD sportin' the horns.  I wore that thing until it disintegrated. 

As for the song, it's the best on the album.  Comments about the keyboards aren't wrong, but I liked this album, and this song especially.  8/10. 

Back