Question about NO PRAYER album

Two recent examples of that are The Final Frontier and A Dramatic Turn of Events by Dream Theater. Thought they would emerge to be my favorites

The same for me with those albums (I thought they'd be two of my favorites than I thought after all the hype, they'd fall down) but unlike your possession, they didn't fall that much. TFF started off being the 4th on my list, now it's the 5th after all dying-of-hype period. Exactly the same with ATDOE, started off 4th, now is the 5th.

On the question of the quality of 'The Final Frontier', I have a foot in both camps. On the first few listens, I honestly wasn't that struck on it but part of that is because I think it was the result of Adrian pushing the boundaries again. I think it all worked a lot better live. It has since grown on me a bit more and I suspect it will continue to do so. What I dislike most about it is Bruce's vocals which sound painfully strained at times.

The Final Frontier was definitely an album that took some getting used to, needed a few listens to really get into (especially the second half of the album). I think WTWWB and Coming Home were the only two songs that jumped out right from the word go. Since then both of them have sunk a bit, especially Coming Home. I really most agree with you on the Bruce voice issue, I don't understand why they thought it wasn't abrasive to have Bruce sound so strained (I'm thinking of The Talisman in particular). After all the hoopla and hype over The Final Frontier has died down, I expect only Isle of Avalon, Starblind, The Man Who Would Be King, and When the Wild Wind Blows will stick.

This then goes back to something else we've begun to discuss here, which is how each one of us is biased towards certain albums or era's based on when we got into Maiden. I make no secret that I have a soft spot for Brave New World because that was the first full studio album I owned and heard in its entirety (and also has the first ever Maiden song I heard which was Blood Brothers). The same thing goes for Death on the Road as that was my first live album and actually the first Maiden album I bought. But I think that as long as I'm aware of this (that I have this nostalgic bias) it's all ok. It doesn't prevent me from making open-minded, receptive, judgements about other albums. Its not like BNW constitutes the highest bar for Iron Maiden, its simply an album that I enjoy very much. Other albums, such as Number of the Beast, I heard much later and took a long time for me to like. I remember I used to really hate Invaders and I still think its the weakest song off that album, but its not quite so horrible-sounding anymore somehow.

But I did start listening to Maiden in the 00's and so its very likely that I have a bias towards this newer era of Maiden. If I were to try and get a friend into Maiden, the songs I'd supply would lean heavily towards their newer stuff, with a few classics mixed in. Legitimately I'm not sure if this has to do with the sound quality, the direction Maiden have taken, my bias, or a combination of all of the above. As someone coming from a classical background I do definitely prefer the more intricate, longer, orchestral-leaning, melodic (even if its repetitive), works.

To close, I think liking Iron Maiden is a very amorphous, dynamic, pulsing, thing. Things I used to love 5 years ago may have fallen off the radar and things I wouldn't have given the time of day have come to the foreground. A good example is AMOLAD, which I loved when it came out in 2006 but has since dropped in listens, and has now re-emerged. Its strangely almost as if Maiden lives and grows and breathes with each one of us, molding itself to each of our life journeys. Thats the magic of Maiden I think. Perhaps its the "Maiden sound" or something more intangible than that. Whatever it is, it lives and dies by Steve Harris' vision and in my opinion comes to full fruition in the current line-up.

The same for me with those albums (I thought they'd be two of my favorites than I thought after all the hype, they'd fall down) but unlike your possession, they didn't fall that much. TFF started off being the 4th on my list, now it's the 5th after all dying-of-hype period. Exactly the same with ATDOE, started off 4th, now is the 5th.
Actually ADTOE may be 5th on my list too. But there is such a difference in quality between that and my top 4, in my opinion.

I agree, but I also wonder if there is a chicken and egg factor.
Do you love the album so much because it's what got you into Maiden?
Or did you get into Maiden so much because you love that album?

FTR, my favourite is POM, the first album I bought as a new release.

Natalie, you are perfectly right. Killers is the first album I listened to and bought, and I cherish it, to the point that when I first came to that forum, I couldn't understand why so many fans rank it very low in Maiden discography.
As for The Final Frontier, I'm struck by the huge amount of rather weak melodies. I mean, the intro of the Alchemist, the riff of Coming Home have nothing really new and exiting. One of Iron Maiden's trademarks is long and beautiful melodies, and I can listen to only a few in the last record. I must admit that I began to worry as soon as I read that that the writing sessions had been very short ; the same was said with Dance of Death, for a disapointing result to (for Maiden of course : this is still miles ahead of any album by any other band), Virtual XI and No Prayer. I wonder if Maiden is not self compleasant sometimes. As far as the reunion era is concerned, I see a kind of cycle, Brave New World being a masterpiece, Dance of Death, disapointing, and the same again with the brilliant AMOLAD and the average Final Frontier.
Anyway, what I like here is that we can always read to some contributions that help us to revise our opinion in a positive way.

I can see the argument on both sides really. I am very much a child of 80s Metal so I do tend to gravitate towards that style even today. I need a band where the singer can actually sing, hence I like bands like Maiden, Saxon, Dio etc. I never have been able to see the appeal of a band shouting at me so. Even Metallica leaves me largely cold because for all the great tunes, he simply isn't a very good singer. I do listen to modern bands too but they have to be able to sing so I only got into A7X once they'd stopped shouting so much. Their material before 'City of Evil' was awful to my old ears and likewise, Bullet For My Valentine was far too painful to listen to prior to 'Scream, Aim, Fire'.

However, if it was true that we naturally prefer the albums we first heard, I would prefer the DiAnno era of Maiden but I don't. The first Iron Maiden album was the first one I heard, way back in 1980 but it's a long way from my favourite album, although I still love it and 'Prowler' was the first song I heard but again, while I like it, it's nowhere near my favourite.

I'm sure the first album that someone listens to has some effect on what period of Maiden certain people like, but not always. Fortunately, or unfortunately if you consider my age, I was around when the first Maiden album was released but at the time I wasn't all that impressed. It wasn't until POM that I really became what you would call a fan. Since then I've bought every studio album, sorry outside of LAD I'm just not into live albums, the day it was released. Now it might sound like heresy to some of you but I no longer own copies of NPFTD, FotD, or Virtual XI because as much as I tried to let them grow on me I couldn't get over the fact that for the most part I thought they sucked. To tell you the truth I'm sarting to grow less impressed with TFF also, but before anybody chimes in that I just don't like the newer stuff let me say that AMOLAD is probably my 3rd favorite album (behnd SSOASS and POM). The point being that the different eras don't matter as much as the material that is produced in that era. Sorry but a shitty album is a shitty album whether it was recorded 20 years ago or last week.

Did AMOLAD become this polarizing after it came out? TFF is starting to become that album that either grows on you over time or you just forget about over time. Personally, I don't listen to the album anymore, but I still listen to every song on the album. I don't know what it is. I think the tracklisting was all wrong. It doesn't flow that well. When it's on shuffle, it actually flows better.

I think that factors in as well. Some albums have fantastic songs on them, but they feel disjointed, so they don't get spun properly as much. Virtual XI and Killers come to mind. Almost like they need to be rearranged or like some of the songs should've been saved for other albums. My favorite albums aren't necessarily the best, but they're the most cohesive, so I listen to them most often.

DoD lists high for me but isn't my favourite. For GnR.. I love all AFD/UYI1+2/CD all equally for different reasons, and cant pic a favourite. System has Failed is also my favourite Deth album, I just don't remember any of the recent ones because all the riffs are so fast and alike, whereas I feel like System is closer to the 'heavy metal' that I like rather than straight up thrash - it does also happen to be the first one I heard though oddly.

I agree with regards to GN'R and 'Deth. The thing about GN'R is they don't really have a bad album. Even Spaghetti's got some great tunes. Every time I listen to one, I think it's my favorite until I hear another one. Probably because the albums are so different from one another. AFD's the one I listen to most, though, even though the quality of song is better on the Illusions. As for Megadeth, that's why I like it. In my opinion, it's the heaviest Megadeth album, and all of the songs are fantastic. It's one of the only albums by anyone that I have on regular rotation.

As for Dance of Death, it's one of my least favorite Maiden albums. :p

Personally, when an album comes out by a band I really like I usually go nuts over it for awhile, but eventually once the hype dies down I don't love it as much.

Again, I'm the opposite. Usually when an album comes out, I don't like most of it. I'm usually very disappointed.

Sorry but a shitty album is a shitty album whether it was recorded 20 years ago or last week.

Archaeologists would say that, after a considerable amount of time, shit can petrify and turn into somthing valuable. Joke aside, you are right, althought I don't think Maiden ever recorded what I might call a shitty album. There is always something to be retained, and I think the same of almost every song. Apart from Bring your Daughter and Hooks in You, there is no song I consider total rubbish.

I'm sure the first album that someone listens to has some effect on what period of Maiden certain people like, but not always. Fortunately, or unfortunately if you consider my age, I was around when the first Maiden album was released but at the time I wasn't all that impressed. It wasn't until POM that I really became what you would call a fan.

Ahh, another oldie :) The difference is that I loved the first album. I think it was because I was really into Punk at the time and that first album has quite a Punky feel to it, except Maiden can really play their instruments!

Now it might sound like heresy to some of you but I no longer own copies of NPFTD, FotD, or Virtual XI because as much as I tried to let them grow on me I couldn't get over the fact that for the most part I thought they sucked. To tell you the truth I'm sarting to grow less impressed with TFF also, but before anybody chimes in that I just don't like the newer stuff let me say that AMOLAD is probably my 3rd favorite album (behnd SSOASS and POM). The point being that the different eras don't matter as much as the material that is produced in that era. Sorry but a shitty album is a shitty album whether it was recorded 20 years ago or last week.

It's strange how you react to different albums. I wouldn't argue with you that NPFTD, FotD and Virtual XI suck as Maiden albums go. Like you, I never really listen to them anymore. Perhaps our responses are similar because we must be similar in age. Having said that, the opposite has happened to me with AMOLAD and TFF. When I first heard AMOLAD I thought it was good but that was all, but when I went back to it a year later, I was astonished at just how good it was. I remember being annoyed that on the tour they played the whole thing from start to finish when they didn't do that with SSOASS, which is the album that really deserved it. When I first heard TFF I was very unimpressed and stayed that way even after many listens. I think the material was a lot better live so it has grown on me a bit as a result but I still don't see what all the hype was about. I love the idea that they pushed the boundaries a bit and there are some superb moments but they've done much better albums than TFF. The same level of melody isn't there at all and Bruce's voice sounds way to strained. Whenever I listen to it I keep thinking they need to drop the key to get it more into Bruce's range.

Back