Ancient Mariner
  1. "Sanctuary"
  2. "The Trooper"
  3. "Revelations"
  4. "Flight of Icarus"
  5. "22 Acacia Avenue"
  6. "The Number of the Beast"
  7. "Run to the Hills"
Was this a selection of songs from a regular full gig World Piece Tour set picked for the TV broadcast, or did they play a short set and they have broadcast the majority of the show?

Obviously, Iron Maiden where they kill Eddie from 12 Wasted Years must have been played too, but doesn't seem to be on the Early Days or two different bootleg versions I have.

1. "Sanctuary"
  2. "The Trooper"
  3. "Revelations"
  4. "Flight of Icarus"
  5. "22 Acacia Avenue"
  7. "Run to the Hills"
Was this a selection of songs from a regular full gig World Piece Tour set picked for the TV broadcast, or did they play a short set and they have broadcast the majority of the show?

Obviously, Iron Maiden where they kill Eddie from 12 Wasted Years must have been played too, but doesn't seem to be on the Early Days or two different bootleg versions I have.

All bands played shorter sets at the Dortmund '83 festival and, in Maiden's case, Iron Maiden was the only song not broadcast (apparently German TV thought killing Eddie was too violent). Run to the Hills was the encore.

I have a 2DVD bootleg of the broadcast, which I believe contains all tracks played by the artists (with the exception of Iron Maiden for the reasons mentioned above). Here is a picture of the back cover with the track listing.

dvd-rock-pop-festival-live-in-dortmund-1983-2-dvd-lacra-D_NQ_NP_955389-MLB28268715885_092018-F.jpg

Last edited:
From all bootleg track listings I have seen, the only track cut was indeed Iron Maiden. So it seems to have been a shorter show.

The gig was broadcast by a public TV station in Germany in the middle of a moral panic, so the band killing Eddie and pulling his brain out wasn't exactly something that would go over well with censors.

I remember talking to a guy running a metal pub who was around at the time and he told me it was part of a greater, two day TV programme which also featured Scorpions and Judas Priest, which to me explains why the gig was so short. We talked about that while watching a recording of the Priest gig, and he also had a taping of the Maiden gig (not from the DVD, but identical IIRC - I am certain Iron Maiden was not on it). But this was over ten years ago in a pub, so how accurate my memory is of what he said, and how accurate what he said was, who knows.

For some reason I don't buy that.

Any particular reason for that? I know a guy who was stationed in Germany at the time and went to the gig (he is in some of the audience shots) and confirmed that Maiden were top of the bill and played the shortened set that we discussed earlier. All the other bands did a similar thing too. Apparently there were two stages (one at each end of the venue) and that meant that the changeover time between concerts was kept to a minimum.

I'm surprised this isn't more commonly known apparently, but I have an audience recorded audio bootleg of the entire gig. They also played Hallowed and Wrathchild. The date on the bootleg is the same and a quick comparison to the Dortmund video shows that it is the same gig. You can also see where the video cuts in between songs if you watch carefully. Happy to share with folks who want it via PM.

Edit: I also have the DVD pictured above, although I'm pretty sure it's also on YouTube.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this isn't more commonly known apparently, but I have an audience recorded audio bootleg of the entire gig. They also played Hallowed and Wrathchild. The date on the bootleg is the same and a quick comparison to the Dortmund video shows that it is the same gig. You can also see where the video cuts in between songs if you watch carefully. Happy to share with folks who want it via PM.

Edit: I also have the DVD pictured above, although I'm pretty sure it's also on YouTube.

How could I have forgotten about those 2 songs? I guess I am getting on a bit. :lol:

Either way, the bands played shorter sets in that festival (I think Maiden had played a full European leg setlist at the same venue less than 10 days earlier: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/1983/westfalenhalle-1-dortmund-germany-3bd3a4f8.html).

By the way, what a killer line-up!

Is that the only ever official date since they started doing professional tours that didn't feature Iron Maiden, the song?

Complete video of this concert is probably my personal holy grail for Maiden. It has to exist somewhere, but probably not in the Maiden archive.

The thing I know for sure about the second Dortmund show is that Bruce got absolutely shitfaced after it, raided Quiet Riot's dressing room and became a honourary band member due to questionable behaviour (involving his penis) and shortly afterwards Rod had him taken away and locked in the hotel. But he escaped from the hotel, straight into an empty bar where he ordered 50 beers and at the end of the night he planned to steal a taxi with Ozzy who wandered into the same bar. That was luckily prevented by some people, presumably either IM or Ozzy's roadcrew.

1. "Sanctuary"
  2. "The Trooper"
  3. "Revelations"
  4. "Flight of Icarus"
  5. "22 Acacia Avenue"
  7. "Run to the Hills"

As they were going to broadcast the show, Maiden decided to leave out the longer songs "Where Eagles Dare" for example, to be able to perform more energetic and shorter songs, hence, why they opened with Sanctuary (which they had dropped of the setlist as an opener)

Is that the only ever official date since they started doing professional tours that didn't feature Iron Maiden, the song?
On May 1st, 1993 they played in Roma at the "Concerto del Primo Maggio" festival (Concert of May 1st) as international guests. It was not a part of the Real Live Tour because it isn't listed among the dates on their website, but it was an Iron Maiden concert nonetheless.
They only played The Trooper and Fear of the Dark: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron...-giovanni-in-laterano-rome-italy-bd399c2.html (the concert was broadcasted on TV and is found on YouTube).

Back