Queensryche & Geoff Tate

Just a small taste, but it sounds good.

Somehow I missed the announcement last month that the new album Digital Noise Alliance is coming out October 7th. Looking forward to it.

Promising indeed, although the three singles from the previous album were very good tracks too, but the rest of the album sadly didn't meet the standards they set. So following the near-perfect Condition Human, last album was a disappointment which I rarely revisit apart from the singles.

But man, Zeuss delivers top-notch production.

Promising indeed, although the three singles from the previous album were very good tracks too, but the rest of the album sadly didn't meet the standards they set. So following the near-perfect Condition Human, last album was a disappointment which I rarely revisit apart from the singles.
Interesting, I felt like it was The Verdict that finally stuck the landing after Condition Hüman showed real promise. I go back to The Verdict regularly, but not as often to its predecessor.

Reactions: Yax
What a great intro, killer chorus! I hear diversity, some classic ryche elements too. That ending!!!!:wub: LaTorre´s on fire!Love it!
Really looking forward to the album.

The second single is a full-on ballad. It’s fine, but nothing particularly special.

Todd doesn’t sound like Geoff at all in this song which is great. Reminded me more of a 90´s grunge ballad than a Queensryche one.

Reactions: Jer
Todd doesn’t sound like Geoff at all in this song which is great. Reminded me more of a 90´s grunge ballad than a Queensryche one.
It sounds like a mix between Empire and Promised Land, with a smidge of Tribe. It also sounds like DeGarmo's and Rockenfield's absence. For one, I consider the song to sound like a QR song because the period 1994-2002 is also part of the QR sound. ;)
I can hear some reminiscence of "Out of Mind", "Silent Lucidity" and "Rhythm of Hope" for example.

Last edited:
Looks like Tate’s doing Promised Land in its entirety now:

Sounds pretty good, though the band’s backup vocals are a bit out of tune…LOL.

Hot take on Digital Noise Alliance after the first listen:
  • Songwriting quality generally seems comparable to The Verdict, which is a great thing
  • The album is a little proggier, a little brighter, and a little more sonically varied than The Verdict
  • Lots of memorable vocal hooks and instrumental bits, with plenty of classic Queensrÿche dual leads
  • The only disappointing track was the sappy ballad "Forest", which doesn't really fit and doesn't seem to work, but we'll see if that opinion changes with repeated listens
  • Closing the album with a cover of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" is a weird choice, especially given how the previous track ends; but the cover is well done, and you could always break the track off into a B-side collection if you don't want to include it in a playthrough of the album
Very positive first impression overall -- I can see myself listening to this one a lot over the coming months. Great to hear them continuing their creative momentum!

Listened to the first album with Todd again yesterday to prepare myself for the new album. What an amazing (although way too short) album!

Listened to the first album with Todd again yesterday to prepare myself for the new album. What an amazing (although way too short) album!
Hmm, I just never got into the 2013 self-titled album. Always seemed to plod without much in the way of hooks, and I barely remember any of the songs on it. The real renaissance started with Condition Hüman, IMO.

Hmm, I just never got into the 2013 self-titled album. Always seemed to plod without much in the way of hooks, and I barely remember any of the songs on it. The real renaissance started with Condition Hüman, IMO.
I listened to it alot of times on repeat so the album had a chance to grow. :)

Listened twice to the new album and all I can say for now is..wow! Even the Billy Idol cover is interesting. Coming soon to this thread: The Todd 10, my favourite tracks of the last 4 albums.

Reactions: Jer
I found the Billy Idol cover not a cover because it’s the f**ing sameNothing Original
I tend to disagree. The solo section is quite different and they add a little of the Queensryche sound there. Todd tries to imitate Billy which works great, his voice is so versatile.

Gave the 2013 self-titled album another chance today, and I guess my impression was slightly more positive than before. “Where Dreams Go To Die”, “In This Light”, and “A World Without” are all pretty good. “Fallout” is OK, and the rest is mostly forgettable. The production is tinny and in some cases brickwalled, which doesn’t help matters.

Still not an album I’m going to return to very often, given how much better the next three are…

Back