Queensryche & Geoff Tate

Yesterday the podcast 'The Metal Voice' made a list with the best metal albums from 1988. As special guest they invited the Queensryche singer Todd LaTorre to discuss about it. It's a very interesting chat. He talks about Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as probably his favorite Metal album of all time. (min. 48:09)

At min. 53:15 one of the guys talks about a Jimmy like the reason Adrian left in No prayer for the Dying. Who the f**k is Jimmy?

Last edited:
I really try with Queensrÿche, for old times' sake, but the last time I found them relevant was with "The Right Side of My Mind" (last song off 1999's Q2K). Since then, they have navigated between "correct" and "you don't really know what to try any more (in terms of music and communication), do you?" (well, ok, "In this light" has nurtured the illusion for a split second).

Last edited:
I love Tribe from 2003 (DeGarmo!) but I agree, for the most part. Operation Mindcrime 2 was a disgusting cash-in, but it is a rather good Tate solo record - It sure isn’t QR. I like LaTorre QR a lot, but it just isn’t the same. Old QR was magic.

Last edited:
Nothing beats the Golden Era (EP until Empire)
Promised Land is very good,
HITNF, Q2K and Tribe are all mixed bags,
American Soldier was ok,
O:M2 was...ok...last songs are awful though.
DTC was... :facepalm:
FU was... :help:
Todd albums are great and Sweet Oblivion is very good too.

Last edited:
Nothing beats the Golden Era (EP until Empire)
Promised Land is very good,
HITNF, Q2K and Tribe are all mixed bags,
American Soldier was ok,
O:M2 was...ok...last songs are awful though.
DTC was... :facepalm:
FU was... :help:
Todd albums are great and Sweet Oblivion is very good too.
Two questions. What stops Promised Land to enter the "Golden Era"? It's a perfect album, as far as I'm concerned.
Number two, what songs from Tribe don't you like?

Promised Land is a very good album but when I compare it to all previous ones it´s abit weaker...IMHO.
And I never liked Tribe, apart from the brilliant opening song the album doesn't click with me.

Promised Land is a very good album but when I compare it to all previous ones it´s abit weaker...IMHO.
I think part of the reason why DeGarmo left is precisely that he didn't accept having people compare his new music with what he had released before : the weight of a band name is sometimes too much to carry when you are really creative.

Sounds like ex-member Mike Stone has been the band’s go-to fill-in guitarist when Lundgren has been unavailable, but it’s not clear what their long-term plan is going to be here. Blabbermouth comments have of course been joking about LaTorre playing guitar on the next album like he did with the drums on The Verdict

This might be the last straw for me, tbh. Time will tell.
I’m open minded about it. Can’t say that Lundgren’s guitar work ever particularly stood out to me one way or the other, and his songwriting contributions have been limited, so any competent replacement is probably fine. (Though he did pen “Dark Reverie”, which is great.)

Maybe Rockenfield will hook up with Tate and make their own version of Queensrÿche again, and then the two Queensrÿches can co-headline The Vest Of Both Worlds tour. For the encore all the remaining original members can come out to play together until Tate spits on one of them and gets punched in the face.

Tatertot right now:

xnCXI5C.gif

I always like to listen to Queensryche in November/December. Great to see ‘Tribe’ getting a few positive mentions- to me, it’s a bright spot in a pretty dreadful run of albums, and a CD I can easily listen to on repeat.

Reactions: Yax
The more time passes, the more I tend to appreciate Geoff Tate more than Queensrÿche (which was not the case at all in 2012, I admit). That's also probably because Todd LaTorre gets on my nerves and because QR hasn't released anything really worthy of their reputation since the 2013 self-titled album. ;)

Last edited:
Back