Put your initial thought after your first listen to the Senjutsu album to one sentence please.

The magic is still there. Or - What a melodic and very memorable, interesting and varied album.

Also, the long instrumental passages stood out.

Last edited:
‘WTF is this opening song?’

I like the song now, but I was a bit bewildered by Senjutsu at first.

‘Come and listen to this chorus!’

That’s what I shouted at my wife the first time I heard Hell on Earth.

When I got the album, I sat down, listened to it in its entirety and basically wrote down my thoughts in real time. I still have that mini-review somewhere, but trying to boil it down to one sentence is difficult, since some impressions were really positive, while others were somewhat negative. If I had to, I'd focus on the positive and say:

There's a lot to love there.

A lot of melodies, maybe too much and too long, but still a great record IMHO.
Too much melodies? There is no such thing ;) You probably meant that the long instrumental sections are more prominent than ever - and that's why the album feels longer than it is. Ofc because of the dominant longer material, too.
How can we make this a double album?
By extending certain parts a little longer. In Kevin's diary, some of the songs were slightly shorter. Maybe they work on intros/outros last?
It's not flawless...
You have a chorus like that of Hell On Earth and it only repeats once....

not to mention the hollow middle part of Days.

A lot to absorb, not entirely sure how I feel about it.

That's the one sentence version. The slightly longer is that there was a lot to love about it, a lot to feel...mixed about, but overall I'm always grateful when we get another Maiden album, because they could've stopped this ages ago. Nowadays, the prevailing thought is that it could've been edited down to a single disc and there would've been no impact felt.

Back