Put your initial thought after your first listen to the Senjutsu album to one sentence please.

I found Writing on the Wall really cool and interesting and was hoping the rest of the album would also explore new sonic territory but the other tracks were all pretty standard recent Maiden fare. Good, but not super interesting.

Is Senjutsu their most divisive album?
No, I don't think so. Maybe something like Dance Of Death or The Final Frontier from the post-reunion era?
Brave New World is beloved and gets the bonus for being the first reunion project.
AMOLAD gets criticisms and there are certainly enough people who dislike that album or don't rank it that highly, but overall it's one of the consistently highest rated albums.
The Book Of Souls is often seen as being bloated, but it gets the bonus of being the album during Bruce's cancer treatment and its tour the first post-treatment.

Dance Of Death is a great album and songs like the title track or Paschendale are beloved. Yet, the consensus seems to be that it's not as focused as BNW was.
TFF on the other hand is the post-reunion album that gets the most criticism from what I've seen. I'm obviously biased, since it's one of my least favorite albums overall, despite the post-reunion era being one of my favorites. Despite that, this is the album that get's criticized for Bruce straining a ton and the vocal production being noticeably worse. It's the first album after Bruce's "golden age", its second half is a lot more proggy while some would say unfocused, messy and in the case of The Man Who Would Be King blatantly unfinished and cobbled together.

As for Senjutsu, many were happy with that album, a lot thought it was too long and bloated (a common criticism for the recent albums) and while there were certainly folks who were disappointed, I haven't seen a lot of outright hate for it.

Didn't really go into detail with the 90s albums, since while each of them have their champions (@Dick Brucinson for NPFTD, me for VXI and I'm sure there are people who have FOTD or TXF as their favorite), the majority ranks them consistently lower than the 80s or post-reunion albums. I feel, for them to be seen as divisive, there'd have to be more people found on each extreme.

Back